• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short eared Owls (1 Viewer)

Reader

Over the last few years we have been blessed in the Staffs / Warks area with these beautiful birds but this year they are conspicuous by there absence.

Are there other areas suffering a lack of these birds as we are?

Very definitely, yes. I've not heard of a single report anywhere in Northumberland yet this year. Almost certainly due to a crash in vole numbers, after high populations last winter.

Michael

Dramatic reduction in wintering birds this year around Peterborough. Winter 2002/3 was a bumper one with 50-60 birds attracted to an explosion of voles (which also attracted record numbers of Kestrels). Even so we usually have more than the 3 or 4 we seem to have this winter.

There is also a distinct lack of Short-eared Owls in Cumbria this winter, I have only heard a report of one sighting so far this year. I would agree with Michael on this, that this dearth is probably due to a a crash in vole numbers following the fantastic SEO numbers we had last winter!

Is the population crash a recent / cyclical event in the UK?

Down here I remember years when when heading to the "polders" near the coast or the delta up in Zeeland you saw them every time, often several birds at a time. That's been years and years ago though. Now they even make it to rare bird alerts in these parts.

How common are they as breeding birds in Britain these days?

Filip

Just saw my first of the year on Thursday morning at Saltholme Pond, Port Clarence. I watched it hunting for 20 minutes before it caught something and must have stayed down to eat it.

Great sight :t:

Congrats Ian. I have visited a couple of sites where they have been reported but, as yet, no luck. The search continues but even those reports have dried up now. There are no reports of S E O on RBA even close to where I live.

SEO although present in Hampshire this winter seem to be in short supply.I dont know the situation in Dorset but winter 2003 saw at least 11-13 on Portland alone,I saw a group of 3 together last winter.It would be interesting to know the number on the Isle of sheppey which had I believe huge numbers last winter.
Regards Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back