• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first digiscoped image... (1 Viewer)

Gaga

Here is my first digiscoped image. Those glaucous and great black-backed gulls were at least 150 m from me when I took the picture. My camera (Nikon Coolpix 4500) was handheld on my Nikon Fieldscope 82ED, with a 25-75X eyepiece (according to the Nikon website, there is no adapter compatible with that eyepiece...).

Any critics or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• glaucous.jpg
    glaucous.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 344
My impression is that for a distance of 150m and hand-holding the camera,the sharpness you managed is amazing.Looks like you can do without an adaptor!

I agree, for the distance, you've done well. Are you using a straight or angled scope? More importantly, are you hooked on digiscoping ;) . It doesn't take long.

KCFoggin said:
I agree, for the distance, you've done well. Are you using a straight or angled scope? More importantly, are you hooked on digiscoping ;) . It doesn't take long.

Thanks guys! My scope is angled... and yes, I'm hooked on digiscoping... can't wait for the weekend!

Excellent shot for your first time out. Perhaps you could make your own adapter - plenty of people have done (I think our own digi-birder, Diane, did so).

Chris

Indeed I did. You can see the adapter HERE

You would obviously need a piece of pipe to fit over your eyepiece and a step up ring to attach it to the Coolpix thread. I was lucky that my piece of pipe (which cost the princely sum of £1.50) is a perfect fit over my eyepiece with no screws needed.

To take this picture, I used the turn&slide eyecup of my 25-75X eyepiece, to help me stabilise my camera. It's not ideal, but the NC4500 is almost tight with that eyecup...

Yes. I agree that this is a nice shot - especially for the distance and since it was handheld. But I think it could be even nicer if it wasn't so gray. Most digiscoped images can benefit from a visit to Photoshop. Heck, just about any photograph can benefit from some Photoshop work.

I don't know what is "right" for this image, but this looks more like what I imagine the actual scene might have looked like. I adjusted levels. Tweaked color balance slightly toward blue and sharpened the image a bit.

Attachments

• glaucous_mod.jpg
    glaucous_mod.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 211
Hi Jay,

The brightness and colour tweaking looks OK, but the sharpening was overdone I think - the grey on the Glauc's mantle looks all grainy now.

Michael

adaptors

Gaga,

You can still use an adapter, it's just you would have to take it off and put it back on if you wanted to increase/decrease the zoom -- that would be a major hassle. In my case, however, I always left the eyepiece at it's lowest magnification -- I believe 26x (I sold the scope and don't remember the exact number) and once the adaptor was screwed on, I was all set. In other words, I never needed to zoom out beyond 26mm.

The other options are doing what you do now or going to a fixed eyepiece. If you go to a fixed eyepeice, let me know which one you get and I can tell you the correct Nikon adaptor.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Gaga said:
That's exactly my problem... I have a zoom eyepiece! What can I do???

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back