• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which hide should I opt for... anyone have either of these...? (1 Viewer)

theMusicMan

Hi All

I have at last narrowed down the purchase of my hide to two alternates;

#1: Ultimate Addons 2-man hide
#2: Popoutside camo hide

They are both more or less the same price (~£75), #2 is slightly larger than #1, though #1 has a built-in seat. #2 is also a pop-up model meaning it can be set up in less than a minute and put away in a similar time whereas according to the manufacturers, #1 takes around 5-7 mins to assemble and then the same time to put away.

Does anyone here have experience of either of these two hides, and if so could you offer your thoughts please. Many thanks.

John

Hi All

They are both more or less the same price (~£75), #2 is slightly larger than #1, though #1 has a built-in seat. #2 is also a pop-up model meaning it can be set up in less than a minute and put away in a similar time whereas according to the manufacturers, #1 takes around 5-7 mins to assemble and then the same time to put away.

Does anyone here have experience of either of these two hides, and if so could you offer your thoughts please. Many thanks.

John

Hello John, I know neither of the exact models you have mentioned, though I can just add my tuppence:

1. if weight/packed size is not so different, go for the larger one ... more comfortable when shooting from the side windows, may store more bits and bobs inside - and after hours spent inside you'll need to stretch your legs. Last, sometimes you may use it with another fellow photographer without having to carry double hides etc. Depending on the birding spots you're going to visit, check the overall weight: if you plan to stay out all day, you'll have to carry lots of things, and if you have to walk mid long distances from the car, weight is the most important issue!

2. I'd avoid those models with a built-in chair - they tend to "communicate" movement and vibrations outside, so you have to stay perfectly still; furthemore, those seats aren't usually very comfortable after some time ...

3. pop-up hides are very quick to setup and ... aargh ... quite difficult to put away UNTIL you have learnt how to (mine stayed half-closed for a whole winter in my garage, then I took the bull by its horns and obliged myself to learn .. now I can set it up and put it away in almost the same time).
Pop-up hides can also be less resistent to wind and rain, especially if you plan to leave them onsite for a prolonged time

Cheers,

Max

Hi All

John
Having bought a pop up hide from Ultimate Addons i can recomend them for quality/price although mine is not the same model its a great piece of kit!
I too agree you need to get the knack to close them up but after a few goes its very easy (practice on a non windy day)LoL
Cheers
Brian

You might want to have a look at this one it is only £39.99

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=8944

I bought one the other day, delivery is very quick. The hide just pops open when you take it out of the bag and it folds away very easily.
I preferred this one as you can stand up in it.
WOW - great find, thanks. Can you let me know what size it is please across the bottom, and also in height. Thanks.

I think I will contact them tomorrow.

If i can just chuck in my two bobs worth. Looking at the bushwear hide it seems to be lacking in windows with a zip up top and a fold down door flap. Although i might be wrong it looks to me like its a very restricted field of view which is something best avoided. I would pay the extra for windows and consider it dosh well spent. gmax is spot on when he says avoid the built in seat. and if you can guy it down all the better.
On freezing winter mornings when your down the loch side enough space for a wee gas stove is a bonus as well.
just some thoughts
Daf

Last edited:
Well, after some tact and advice from my wife a week or so ago, I decided to wait for my birthday (today) and see what transpired. It seems my lovely wife purchased the 2-man hide for me from Ultimate Add-ons!! and I have to say it is a corker!

The seat is not noisy at all, and it takes all of 1 min to put up... simply slides out of the holder, pull the two man seat apart, and then the entire thing folds up - so simple. There is room in there to sit on the floor, and there's ample zippers and view points to use - can see me getting out with this today or tomorrow eh! Also - the fact it is the 2 man version means my daughter can come with me if she wants to now as well. She often accompanies me on my birding walks and trips, and I bet she will love this when she sees it!!

All in all, I am very pleased with this hide.

Well, after some tact and advice from my wife a week or so ago, I decided to wait for my birthday (today) and see what transpired. It seems my lovely wife purchased the 2-man hide for me from Ultimate Add-ons!! and I have to say it is a corker!

The seat is not noisy at all, and it takes all of 1 min to put up... simply slides out of the holder, pull the two man seat apart, and then the entire thing folds up - so simple. There is room in there to sit on the floor, and there's ample zippers and view points to use - can see me getting out with this today or tomorrow eh! Also - the fact it is the 2 man version means my daughter can come with me if she wants to now as well. She often accompanies me on my birding walks and trips, and I bet she will love this when she sees it!!

All in all, I am very pleased with this hide.
Happy Birthday John! and glad you like the hide they are great pieces of kit
Cheers
Brian

Thanks Brian, appreciate the comments and have had a great day so far.

Well, I spent a wonderful 2 hours out with the new hide at - The Bryn. My daughter came with me otherwise I'd still be there now... :) Pitched up on the riverbank literally only inches from the water, plenty to see too. Pied and Yellow Waggies, Goldfinches, Plover, Buzzards - even a Cormorant perched on the electrical power lines crossing the river 1000yds away. Didn't spot the Kingfisher though, maybe next time.

As for the hide, it is deceptively spacious inside, rather like the tardis...!! Heather wanted some fun and for us to take a packed lunch, so we had 2 camera bags (hers and mine), plus an additional sports bag packed with my Collins guide, some sandwiches, flavoured water, a flask et al... and there was still plenty of room in the hide when we were both in it.

One thing I would say that would be a great design enhancement was if there were a method to adjust the height of the front legs of the fold up chairs. We were on the bank of the river, and though only a shallow incline, we still had to take care when leaning forward that the thing didn't tip forward/over. We ended up placing some larger flat stones under the three front legs which seemed to balance things better.

Very impressed with the hide; the chair makes no sound, it is wind proof and retains heat. It is also very light though I wouldn't wish to take it on a long trek in addition to my camera bag and kit.

For when I want to have extended periods within the hide, I plan to ask Jen (wife) if she can make some nylon pockets that could be sewn into the sleeves in which the frame passes that could contain incidental items such as pens, notepad, lens caps etc...

Update: Can't really fault this hide - I had a Grey Wagtail perched on the roof for several minutes this morning when out at the Bryn!!

No problem Stevie - here's a shot of where I set it up recently. Bagged myself a Kingfisher, Common Sandpiper, Goosander, Sand Martins, and many Grey/Pied Wagtails at this location.

Here's the link to where the images to which I refer are located.

http://www.reflectingme.com/p502472125/

... and I attach an image of the Hide as it was set up when I obtained many of those images.

Attachments

• hide.jpg
    hide.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 124
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back