• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

accommodation (1 Viewer)

Hi Graham
Located midway between Tarifa and Bolonia, I can definitely recommend the Hotel Dulce Nombre (http://www.hoteldulcenombre.com/) - go to donde estamos (where we are) to see the exact location. If you go to precios (prices) and your trip would fall in the media (mid) season so you'd be looking at circa 100 euros a night for a room for two people. I'll hasten to add I did take my girlfriend so it's probably not the extreme cheap option (which is what I normally go for!).

Hope this helps and enjoy the raptor migration, swifts and whatever else is moving through.

Rich

Looks like Tarifa/Bolonia will be well covered by Brits this September. This is the fourth enquiry of one type or another I have seen in the last week. I will be there a bit later, from the 21st, staying in Bolonia with a group.

If I was on my own or with just a couple of mates I would try to book at the small guesthouse cum restaraunt set on its own just west of Tarifa, more or less opposite the campsite: Mezon el Posuela. They have a website.

Steve

thanks folks -- will look at these options; I did come across a hotel which on inspection appeared to be a tent in a garden somewhere in the hills - looked quite nice but it looked like a communal bed!

Hi Graham

I can also recommend the Hostal Levante stayed there twice with mates and had a fabulous time especially with Los Lances beach just across the road. The early morning views of raptors can be fantastic especially if they have been grounded on the fields surrounding the place the evening before.
What's also good is that they have three-bed rooms, which can keep the costs down and get down to the local Lidl (in Tarifa) pick some grub, a few bottles of cheap red 'Reserva' and have an al-fresco evening meal. Brilliant.

Good luck and hope you score with some of the rarer species.

All the best Jules

Hi Graham

I can also recommend the Hostal Levante stayed there twice with mates and had a fabulous time especially with Los Lances beach just across the road. The early morning views of raptors can be fantastic especially if they have been grounded on the fields surrounding the place the evening before.
What's also good is that they have three-bed rooms, which can keep the costs down and get down to the local Lidl (in Tarifa) pick some grub, a few bottles of cheap red 'Reserva' and have an al-fresco evening meal. Brilliant.

Good luck and hope you score with some of the rarer species.

All the best Jules

Do you happen to have any contact details for the above Jules? a Google search only came up with Barcelona; a bit distant ! I have tried some of the other places suggested above and seem to fail on the reply front 100% -- still trying

Do you happen to have any contact details for the above Jules? a Google search only came up with Barcelona; a bit distant ! I have tried some of the other places suggested above and seem to fail on the reply front 100% -- still trying

Graham

The Hostal Levante is the one I recommended above and the link takes you to their website. Have they failed to reply to you?

Looks like Tarifa/Bolonia will be well covered by Brits this September. This is the fourth enquiry of one type or another I have seen in the last week. I will be there a bit later, from the 21st, staying in Bolonia with a group.

And here's number 5 :)

Arriving the 21st for a week and staying a bit inland from Tarifa in Jimena de la Frontera but intend to spend some time in Tarifa, Bolonia, La Janda, etc.

Apologies for the delay Graham just found this.

Hostal Levante
Ctra Cadiz - Malaga Km 81.6
11380 Tarifa

Tel 0034 956681775

If you want me to book this for you let me know and I will speak to them from here.

Good luck anyway.

All the best Jules (wish I was going!!)

Whats the chancing of White-rumped Swifts still being around Sierra de la Plata in mid to late September?

Or Red-necked Nightjar being at their usual haunts?

I had a single white rumped swift at Bolonia late last September, and a few years before that I saw single birds on consecutive weeks at the end of September and the beginning of October in the Serrania de Ronda.

Last Septemper I flushed a red-necked nightjar from a track I was driving along north east of San Enrique de Guadiaro. Not too close to where you're going, but it shows they are still around.

And a few years before that I saw single birds on consecutive weeks at the end of September and the beginning of October in the Serrania de Ronda.

Marvellous - so I might even get them from the balcony while supping a Rioja as they frequent the old ruined Fortress at Jimena which we look onto.

Not too close to where you're going, but it shows they are still around.

There's a couple of spots near to where we're staying which I'll be visitinf at dusk.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back