• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Kew Gardens during Heathrow Layover? (1 Viewer)

Robert / Seattle

Greetings, all ...

Some advice, please, from some of you savvy world travelers who go in and out of Heathrow with some regularity.

I've got a 6 hour layover at Heathrow on my way to Johannesburg, between 1 and 7 PM on a Monday. Some English friends and I thought it might be a great opportunity to spend a couple of hours together at the Kew, and take in a few birds (it's close to the airport and on a straightforward tube connection. Also thought it would be a quintessentially "English" experience for someone who's never been there before, and on such a short time budget).

I've heard frightening stories about tremendously long security lines, and otherwise gross inefficiency at Heathrow, and so I'm seeking any and all commentary on the wisdom of this plan.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments,

Robert / Seattle

Six hours is not all that long at Heathrow. If you come out you would have to allow a couple of hours at least to get back in through all the queues.

And not sure how much you would see at Kew.

Steve

Greetings, all ...

Some advice, please, from some of you savvy world travelers who go in and out of Heathrow with some regularity.

I've got a 6 hour layover at Heathrow on my way to Johannesburg, between 1 and 7 PM on a Monday. Some English friends and I thought it might be a great opportunity to spend a couple of hours together at the Kew, and take in a few birds (it's close to the airport and on a straightforward tube connection. Also thought it would be a quintessentially "English" experience for someone who's never been there before, and on such a short time budget).

I've heard frightening stories about tremendously long security lines, and otherwise gross inefficiency at Heathrow, and so I'm seeking any and all commentary on the wisdom of this plan.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments,

Robert / Seattle

Suggest you have a rather long coffee break.(or something somewhat stronger)

POP

So, how long a journey time-wise to The Kew from Heathrow on the tube as a rule?

Hi Robert, on this website (one of several for trains), aboout 1h 15 mins;

http://www.thetrainline.com/default...nG=Google+Search&meta=&T2ID=7801_200871417244

Kew Gardens (not 'The Kew' as far as I'm aware??), is just nearby.

(I just noticed this is in the vacational trip reports rather than 'information wanted' - you may get better help from Londoners if it was in there . . . ( or possibly a canny move if no-ones reads that forum ;) ))

Presumably you've been to their website;

http://www.kew.org/visitor/findkew.html

And are aware they are more known as botanical gardens, rather than a birding location? On the other hand, don't know if you're going to get better on the west side of london, and should of course get some new commoner uk birdsd if you haven't seen them before.

Good luck, hopefully you'll have a good trip (and S. Africa - is that birding too??)

dantheman said:
(I just noticed this is in the vacational trip reports rather than 'information wanted' - you may get better help from Londoners if it was in there . . . ( or possibly a canny move if no-ones reads that forum ))

Well spotted Dan.... I've moved it.

What about the Staines Reservoirs as an alternative? They should be pretty close

D

Hi Robert, on this website (one of several for trains), aboout 1h 15 mins;

http://www.thetrainline.com/default...nG=Google+Search&meta=&T2ID=7801_200871417244

Kew Gardens (not 'The Kew' as far as I'm aware??), is just nearby.

(I just noticed this is in the vacational trip reports rather than 'information wanted' - you may get better help from Londoners if it was in there . . . ( or possibly a canny move if no-ones reads that forum ;) ))

Presumably you've been to their website;

http://www.kew.org/visitor/findkew.html

And are aware they are more known as botanical gardens, rather than a birding location? On the other hand, don't know if you're going to get better on the west side of london, and should of course get some new commoner uk birdsd if you haven't seen them before.

Good luck, hopefully you'll have a good trip (and S. Africa - is that birding too??)

Thanks, Dan ...

"Kew Gadens", yes. Sorry if any confusion. And sure, quite aware that it's a compromised birding location, but part of the choice was to see something of London in the scant time available that is a world class, and definitively English, attraction. So I'm still curious if I can get there, enjoy an hour or so, and get back to Heathrow in time. Been to the website, and directions are clear but idealized, of course. Nothing beats working knowledge provided by the "man on the street".

To answer your other question, Johannesburg is the site of yet another connecting flight - this time to my final destination in Botswana's Okavango Delta. That is the main trip - a two week walking safari in the bush for birds and mammals.

Still, never been to England, and would hate to be confined to a homogeneous airport if something just beyond the gate is "do-able".

Thanks, again ...

Robert

Last edited:
Hi Robert

I think it would take about 45 minutes by underground, changing at Turnham Green onto the District line (Richmond direction)

However I'm not sure 6 hours is enough time to do customs and immigration, go to Kew, get back to Heathrow and fight the queues. Plus I would be a bit worried about whether you can check your luggage all the way through as a transit passenger would but then break your transit status by technically entering the country. Best to check with the airline I think. In all honesty I personally would worry that there isn't enough time. Sorry to put a damper on the proceedings but it's better than missing your plane.

Joanne

Hi Robert

I think it would take about 45 minutes by underground, changing at Turnham Green onto the District line (Richmond direction)

However I'm not sure 6 hours is enough time to do customs and immigration, go to Kew, get back to Heathrow and fight the queues. Plus I would be a bit worried about whether you can check your luggage all the way through as a transit passenger would but then break your transit status by technically entering the country. Best to check with the airline I think. In all honesty I personally would worry that there isn't enough time. Sorry to put a damper on the proceedings but it's better than missing your plane.

Joanne

Not a damper at all, Joanne ... Much better to have a disappointment than to court a major disaster.

Say, do you know if there's a place at the airport where transit passengers can mingle, (share a coffee, etc.), with non-ticketed local friends? Been to the Heathrow website but could not find any reference to this particular question.

Robert

Not a damper at all, Joanne ... Much better to have a disappointment than to court a major disaster.

Say, do you know if there's a place at the airport where transit passengers can mingle, (share a coffee, etc.), with non-ticketed local friends? Been to the Heathrow website but could not find any reference to this particular question.

Robert

I think you may have to clear customs to do so Robert but doubt that would take too much of your 6 hours.

I'd second the advice re not going to kew - it is a lovely place to spend time (and I think a fairly decent place to bird if you're in London and want to see a few things without going to a "pure birding spot". Nice british birds like green woodpecker, european jay and, erm, ring-necked parakeet are guarantees for example) but probably not workable in the time you have.

Robert

I think the problem is that if in transit your status is that you are technically speaking not in the country......and people who are in the country cannot get into that space (apart from the airport workers). I don't really know but somebody must.

IF you are able to escape the confines, Windsor (Windsor Castle, Great Park, royalty all that) is about an hour the other way according to 'the trainline' site . . .

Also Kew Gardens do have a nature reserve, as per their website;

Access to the Loder Valley Nature Reserve is limited to 50 visitors per day. Please telephone - 01 444 894067 for further information. The reserve is open from 10am to gardens closing time, which varies throughout the year.

However, I think Joanne may have a good point, which I imagine international airlines are unlikely to relax for special cases, unless they have rules which come in if your stop is over a certain length of time . . conjecture at this point I know . . .

Good luck

You'll see a lot more birds at the London Wetland Centre, which is as reachable from Heathrow (it's on the Picadilly Line).

Link here:http://www.wwt.org.uk/howtofindus/174/how_to_find_us.html

Sean

Nice spot indeed, Sean -- and well considered. But the main question here is IF I can get out of the airport and back in time (regardless of my nearby tour) with a mere 6 hours to work with, and without risking the loss of my connecting flight.

Much appreciate your input.

Cheers,
Robert

Go for it - just be ready to turn back without getting there if you need to! I often do Jamaica Bay when going through New York - at least I did until I had kids!

Sean

I would have thought it highly unlikely that it would be that simple to leave the transit area for a few hours to go do some sight-seeing. Much though I can see the temptation, I would be more concerned about missing the onward flight.

I can think of a whole load of beaureaucratic red-tape scenarios that could be thrown in your way. We are good at red-tape.

Sorry, Robert, but I wouldn't risk it. Just come back for a couple of weeks sometime, but don't forget your wellies!

I just put {"leaving heathrow airport" layover} into google, it came up with 4 results. Looked at the 1st and 4th ones, make of them what you will!!! . . . the first one is also the 'cheaptravelforum' -so maybe ask your question there, and the fourth [implies] you can leave the airport to go sightseeing . . .

(I know when I came back through JFK this spring we got muddled up over the time and arrived at the airport with only 50 minutes or so before our flight (they say allow 2 hours) . . if you are lateish for your flight I think there's always a chance you get helped through (but I'm not a frequent flyer, so don't go on my advice ;) ).

Thing is, if you know you can get off the plane quick, your friends are meeting you, you can manage all your baggage (Or else find lockers??), and also allow plenty of emergency time for travel delays I can't see why not . . if the rules allow it. Maybe check your carrier/heathrow to confirm??

(I know if it was me, I'd be wanting to escape the confines . . . ;) )

EDIT: They do have baggage storage, if appropriate:

http://www.heathrow-airport-information.com/baggage.html,

Last edited:
I just put {"leaving heathrow airport" layover} into google, it came up with 4 results. Looked at the 1st and 4th ones, make of them what you will!!! . . . the first one is also the 'cheaptravelforum' -so maybe ask your question there, and the fourth [implies] you can leave the airport to go sightseeing . . .

(I know when I came back through JFK this spring we got muddled up over the time and arrived at the airport with only 50 minutes or so before our flight (they say allow 2 hours) . . if you are lateish for your flight I think there's always a chance you get helped through (but I'm not a frequent flyer, so don't go on my advice ;) ).

Thing is, if you know you can get off the plane quick, your friends are meeting you, you can manage all your baggage (Or else find lockers??), and also allow plenty of emergency time for travel delays I can't see why not . . if the rules allow it. Maybe check your carrier/heathrow to confirm??

(I know if it was me, I'd be wanting to escape the confines . . . ;) )

EDIT: They do have baggage storage, if appropriate:

http://www.heathrow-airport-information.com/baggage.html,

This is great information, Dan. Many thanks. Definitely something to chew on, and not an easy decision. If only there was a way to get a verbal OK from Heathrow Security / Customs that was consistent and irrefutable. I'll next check out some of the suggested links (btw, my main bag will be checked through to J'Burg).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back