• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better Beamer Very Good but Be Aware (1 Viewer)

CANONROB

I thought I would make this a new thread to make people aware of leaving in the sun for to long.

I am thinking of getting the Better Beamer to use with my 100 400 L IS, I see they are available in the UK from http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.a...ash+X-tender for £29.99.
I was a little worried when I saw a thread with these pics. showing what happens if you leave them in direct sunlight for to long, (See Photo's), they act as a magnifying glass.........SO BE AWARE!!......I will still buy one though.

Rob

Attachments

• 580Ex Better Beamer.jpg
    580Ex Better Beamer.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 314
  • Better Beamer Damage.jpg
    Better Beamer Damage.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 328
I've been using one for a while and as you say they are very good. I got mine at the same place. There's a few reports around of this sort of thing happening if it's left fitted to the flashgun and left in the sun.

I've had no problems so far as I've only used it when I've needed to due to low light levels and the sun nowhere in sight - as I would have thought to be the main reason for it's use in any case.

It really makes a big difference to extending the flash range and I would recommend it to anyone interested in bird photography.

These Sparrowhawks were taken in the last few days hand held with the Canon 430EX fitted to the 40D+400mm f5,6 from around 12m at sync speed of 1/400. Apart from the skies being heavily overcast the nest is in a dense hawthorn bush. Neither the built in flash nor the 430EX alone were sufficient at this distance at 1/400.

Attachments

• IMG_7655ao.JPG
    IMG_7655ao.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_7658ao.JPG
    IMG_7658ao.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_7433ao.JPG
    IMG_7433ao.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_7418ao.JPG
    IMG_7418ao.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 179
I've heard the Beamer will do this also. Mine came with a warning on the bag that holds the magnifier saying not to leave it on when not in use, and to not point it directly at the sun - both of which make good sense.

There is a solution to this. I buy some self adhesive velcro. Cut the velcro to the dimensions of the flash-gun and then apply it. It acts as a sacrificial material that burns befor the gun does. It take more heat to get the velcro to burn. Try it

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back