• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mull in August (1 Viewer)

joannec

Europe
I'm planning to go to Mull in August and need some recommendations of where to go to see the local birds. We're staying at Lochdon which I understand is good for white-tailed sea eagles. We are not planning to do a specific willdlife tour (they're rather expensive and I'd like to find things for ourselves.) We'll probably do a boat trip round the islands and perhaps a whalewatching trip if the weather is amienable but I'm not a good sailor and don't want to book something only to find that the weather is atrocious.

So......all you seasoned Scottish birders can you make suggestions of where to go. Goldern eagles are of course high on the list. Will puffins, razorbills, guillemots and black guillemots still be around in August? Where are good viewing points for divers, sheawaters and petrels? Any crested tits on Mull? Corncrates, I understand are in the southern part of the island; any specific places? Cetaceans and otters too .....more for my husband than me....got to keep him happy as well.;)

Any and all information welcomed. Thanks.

Joanne

Hi Joanne

There's a good website here Mull Birds

It's ages since I've been to Mull, but you're staying in a good area to see most of what you want... Goldies and Sea Eagles, otters etc.

Grass Point is good for sea watching.

D

We had a lovely week on Mull at the beginning of June. We went to the RSPB Viewing Centre on Loch Frisa for the Sea Eagles.
I did a Wildlife Safari with Richard Atkinson: http://www.mullwildlife.co.uk/

It was very good - we saw Otters, Sea Eagles, Golden Eagles and my first cuckoo! Try to do this early enough to be able to retrace your steps and find these for yourselves.
The west coastline is beautiful.
Our only disappointment was that we signed up for a Wildlife Cruise from Tobermory on the Tuesday; when no one else had signed up by Friday, it was cancelled................

Loos can be a problem - they are few and far between! And not many pubs either.

Take something for the dreaded midges - Avon's Skin so Soft is the best but I hear they are no longer producing it!

Hope you have good weather, and enjoy it!

I'm planning to go to Mull in August and need some recommendations of where to go to see the local birds. We're staying at Lochdon which I understand is good for white-tailed sea eagles. We are not planning to do a specific willdlife tour (they're rather expensive and I'd like to find things for ourselves.) We'll probably do a boat trip round the islands and perhaps a whalewatching trip if the weather is amienable but I'm not a good sailor and don't want to book something only to find that the weather is atrocious.

So......all you seasoned Scottish birders can you make suggestions of where to go. Goldern eagles are of course high on the list. Will puffins, razorbills, guillemots and black guillemots still be around in August? Where are good viewing points for divers, sheawaters and petrels? Any crested tits on Mull? Corncrates, I understand are in the southern part of the island; any specific places? Cetaceans and otters too .....more for my husband than me....got to keep him happy as well.;)

Joanne

You have already read my trip report from a few weeks ago. Croggan in the south is a good place for the otters, we had a mother and two cubs as well as a dog otter down there. Also, take a scope and keep an eye out when viewing the otters, on the opposite side of the loch we had a very distant Golden eagle.

Turus Mara is the trip you need to do to see the puffins. Not sure when they leave though.

Sealife surveys was the trip to view the minkies- thats the one where the weather was bad and we only saw a couple of porpoises, but on a good day you might have better luck.

I haven't been to Mull for seven years but the area around Grass Point was good for White-tailed Eagle. You shouldn't have any problem seeing Black Guillemot. Corncrakes are on Iona but the chance of seeing one in August I would have thought was very unlikely. Look out for Twite. Have a good trip. Roger

Thanks for the good suggestions people.

We had a lovely week on Mull at the beginning of June. We went to the RSPB Viewing Centre on Loch Frisa for the Sea Eagles.

I had a look at the RSPB site re the viewing point.....sounds like they will have fledged by then will no longer be accessable. Hopefully see them elsewhere.

Anyone know the good sites for golden eagles? I gather they are a bit harder to find. More in the western mountainous parts? Anywhere specifically?

Joanne

Last edited:
For both eagles, Glen More and the Loch na Keal area will prove fruitful. Stop regularly and keep scanning the ridges.

Look out for the tour buses/other birders and if you see them stopped, get out and have a look too! Everybody is very friendly and will be happy to show you things.

Puffins will have gone by August though you may see the odd bird while seawatching.

Search for Mull in the forums - there are plenty of trip reports which should give you lots of ideas.

Hope that helps,

Gordon

Joanne

Make sure you take the anti-midge juice Joanne!!
Have a good time.

Loos can be a problem - they are few and far between! And not many pubs either.

Take something for the dreaded midges - Avon's Skin so Soft is the best but I hear they are no longer producing it!

Re loos - don't worry, there's lots of vegetation to nip into!!

Re Skin so Soft, it's the original fragrance that's the midge repellent . Think it's called 'woodland' and it's in white & green container. A pity if that's not going to be made any longer. Maybe they'll market a 'proper' insect repellent now!

You will love Mull - a magical place.

Sandra

Any crested tits on Mull?

There is one record of crested tit on Mull - in a Tobermory garden, but that was a one-off I'm afraid.

I did a trip report last year which might be of some use, although it was a little later in the year:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=97861

Regarding midges, it's worth noting that they are only active if there is virtually no wind, and the light levels are relatively low (ie overcast or evening). If there is a breeze (likely) or bright sunlight (less likely!) they should not be too much of a problem. If you find yourself troubled by them in a sheltered area, try moving somewhere more exposed where the breeze will keep them down.

For both eagles, Glen More and the Loch na Keal area will prove fruitful. Stop regularly and keep scanning the ridges.

Puffins will have gone by August though you may see the odd bird while seawatching.

Gordon

Take the footpath to the side of Loch Ba towards the fishfarm and keep looking up to your right.

Thanks Gordon and Sandra.

Everyone says take 'midge juice'....certainly will. My friend has offered me the use of her beekeepers hat.:'D;)

We were in Mull at the end of June for a week, saw 5 Otters in 4 different locations, including one that was being seen regularly in Tobermoray Harbour, another good place is by the disused boats just outside of Salen, we have seen them there last two years. The Grass Point WTE`s have been disturbed this year but there have been a couple of Ospreys knocking about there this Summer. Glen More is best for GE, keep scanning the ridges and also Peregrine. The road between Loch Na Keal and Schridain is good for both types of eagles, theres a spit of land of land on the road to Fionnphort that the seals use to haul out, a WTE was feeding on a pup when we were there. There is some Moorland outside Bunnessan which was good for Short Eared Owls and Hen Harriers. Long Eared Owls are also present in that area. We saw Minke and Porpoise when we went Whale watching, but didnt have great weather- a lot of sightings of Basking Sharks reported around Coll lately- the trip will only go that far out if you get decent weather. As for Midge`s, just hope for a bit of wind as they can`t handle it, any camping shop sells decent repellant- anything with DEETin does the trick. Have fun, Mull is a great place.

Call in at the Spar shop in Craignure and get a copy of the Isle of Mull Bird Report it lists all the birds seen on Mull and also has a list of bird watching areas,very useful.

Not much help as I've only been to Mull in May - so not sure about August. One thing I will say is you will see Black Guillemot before you get to Mull as they are all over the ferry port at Oban, harbour walls etc.:t:

I find Mull is a wonderful and tranquil place. Free parking, no fast food joints etc. perfect! Superb wildlife too. The birding tours can be fun - perhaps if you haven't seen both eagles, hen harrier etc. by the end of your trip you can book one lol.

Last time we combined it with Abernethy area. Quite a bit of travelling but the temptation to see both eagles AND Osprey, Capercaillie, Crestie etc. is overwhelming.

Beware the dreaded midge though - all agreed on that one!

Hat

My friend has offered me the use of her beekeepers hat.:'D;)[/QUOTE]

Never thought of that, Joanne - and my husband is a beekeeper!!

Sandra
:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back