• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photography Books (1 Viewer)

malgos

Can any one reccomend a instruction book (or books) on digital photography
especially DSLR and zoom lens.
Any suggestions appreciated
Malcolm

At first Malcolm I shouldn't waste too much money on a book but browse the digital photo magazines in a newsagents. You'll find that there are now plenty of mags specializing in this subject and when you find one with useful hints and tips then obtain and read a few editions to glean any info. Most of them review digital photgraphy books anyway and this could lead you on to a more in depth book on the subject.
A very easy to read first book is perhaps "The complete guide to digital photography" by Michael Freeman published by Thames and Hudson ISBN 0-500-54277-5. What I think are more useful are books on using photoshop etc., on your computer after you have taken some photos. My computer has Adobe photoshop Elements 2.0 loaded on and apart from the Adobe manual another good book (at least I think so) is "Adobe photoshop elements 2.0" by Philip Andrews published by the Focal Press - ISBN 0-240-51918-3. Of course if you use another photo editing programme I am sure there will be books available for that programme also. Most useful advice also is to go out and start shooting pictures and as you can immediately check your results on the camera LCD monitor you will soon find out and correct any shooting mistakes you will be making when you first go digital.

Hi Malcolm

I believe Andy Rouse has a book coming out in Feb this year,called DSLR masterclass I dont know the exact date or price.Hope this helps.
Regards Steve.

stevo said:
Hi Malcolm

I believe Andy Rouse has a book coming out in Feb this year,called DSLR masterclass I dont know the exact date or price.Hope this helps.
Regards Steve.

Don't know when it's out exactly but I helped to proof read some of the chapters and can tell you that it will be a belter.

P

I bought the Andy Rouse book at the Focus on Imaging show last week and agree that it is very good, what I've seen of it so far.

Does anyone know if the Andy Rouse book can be bought by mail order please.We have just aquired a digi slr,and need to know more,esp as to how the files should be read.The ones on the screen filled it,and Adobe said it had no more RAM when I was trying to save them.This has not happened before.

The Andy Rouse book, DSLR Masterclass, is published by Guild of Master Craftsman Publications Ltd. They also publish the monthly magazine, Outdoor Photography.

I've just had a look in the magazine and found a number to ring to order another book that they have on special offer (which was also on their stand at the NEC), but I'm sure the same number will cover the Andy Rouse book as well. 01273 488005. The price was about £20.

Thanks,Diane.I do have a copy of Outdoor Photography,so will have a look.One of those mags was offering Canon300D courses for both novice and regular digi user.i'll have to look through the camera mags and see if there are any reviews.

malgos said:
Can any one reccomend a instruction book (or books) on digital photography
especially DSLR and zoom lens.
Any suggestions appreciated
Malcolm

I'd recommend 'Digital Nature Photography' by Jonathon Cox (available at amazon.com). He goes into detail as to what's involved in taking good photographs with both the Nikon prosumer camera (I believe he uses a Nikon 990) and the Nikon DSLR... and the pictures are fabulous!

GR

Thanks to Digi-Birder supplying the phone number in a earlier post I have Just received Andy Rouse,s new book Digital SLR Masterclass and it is an absolutley cracking book I will try and post a review when I,ve done some more reading. Of interest to some Forum members, Photographers Institute press are publishing a book entitled Canon EOS 300/ Rebel 200 by Mathew Dennis.
To be released on 6th April 192 pages and priced at £14.95. Mail order number is 01273 488005.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back