• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D2H with the Celestron 80ED astro scope (1 Viewer)

A couple more shots taken with the Celestron 80ED refractor (600mm, f7.5)this time with the Nikon D2H and a Kiron 2X teleconverter plus 60mm extension tube. Although this is only a 4 mpx camera, it certainly makes the most of those pixels and I believe I'm getting sharper photos with this than with the 6 mpx Fuji S2 Pro. I have not yet tested it's 8 frame per second continuous shooting speed. The first two photos have been resized (uncropped); levels and sharpening in photoshop. European Starling (at least 100 ft) and Ruby-throated Hummingbird (30 ft). Third photo is a crop of the same Starling shot. I also noted that although the dark starling on a white background might be a potential source of CA in this situation, it doesn't seem to be a problem for this scope.

Rick

Attachments

• starling01.jpg
    starling01.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 302
  • hummingbird01.jpg
    hummingbird01.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 313
  • starlingcrop.jpg
    starlingcrop.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Another example taken with the Celestron 80ED asto scope with Nikon D2H and Kiron 2X teleconverter.

Attachments

• mourningdove.jpg
    mourningdove.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 241
Rick,
Interesting choice of camera. It seems to be doing a good job. The starling at 100ft turned out well.
Let's see more, Neil.

A couple more shots taken by DSLR scoping with the Celestron 80ED and a Nikon d2H. These were at 30 to 60 feet.

Rick

Attachments

• black002.jpg
    black002.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 154
  • black001.jpg
    black001.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 168
A couple more shots taken by DSLR scoping with the Celestron 80ED and a Nikon d2H. These were at 30 to 60 feet.

Rick

Rick,
You've got the knack of manual focusing down. The exposure is probably under about 1.5 stops. I had a quick fiddle to get this. This looks about the right distance for your setup. Neil

Attachments

• black001 adj.jpg
    black001 adj.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 151
Thanks for the info Neil. I had a feeling it was a bit dark. Looks much better. A few days of practice has greatly improved my focusing skills. I was really having trouble with that and am much more confident now that I can get a higher percentage of keepers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back