• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which is more common? (1 Viewer)

Anhinga Watcher

While I was in Florida, I couldn't determine which was which accurately. I saw many hawks perched on branches, but I couldn't tell if it was a northern harrier or a red-shouldered hawk. Which hawk is most common in Florida, especially around the Everglades National Park?

Tim

Hi Tim,

That'll be Red-shouldered, which is a common breeding resident there.

Northern Harrier is only a winter visitor there, at the southern extreme of its wintering range so it'll probably not be too common; they also tend to stick more to open country, and don't perch in trees much. The highest I've ever seen them perch is on fenceposts.

Also plenty of Red-tailed Hawks in Florida of course.

Michael

I was in Florida during the last winter break. One of my most struggling parts with birding is identifying hawks. I never saw so many birds of prey before, until I visited Florida!! Vultures, both turkey and black, are just everywhere. I agree that I saw red-shouldered hawks. I also noticed many small birds of prey, including American kestrels. Around Everglades, which are more common, kestrels or merlin?

Tim

I didn't notice any bald eagles, but I did notice the nest in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. It was HUGE!!! I never thought it could've been that big. I heard that bald eagles use the same nest for few years or something.

Tim

Hi Tim,

They do; so do Ospreys, and their nests can also get very large, tho' probably not quite as big as BE nests

If you want to find out about really huge nests, do a google search for Hamerkop nests :eek!: (Hamerkop is a heron-like bird found in Africa)

Michael

Dave B Smith said:
And if you go with Red Shouldered, remember Florida has its own race! It is a little paler than other Red Shouldered Hawks.

Thanks, I'll remember that. B :) That's a very vital information, since I could mistake it for other hawks.

Tim

I was home in Florida for Christmas and saw more Kestrels than usual this year. Seemed everytime I turned around there was one! In one day, just running around doing errands I saw six. The most comon perch was power lines. They're beautiful birds.

Tim, here's a suggestion for your library, although I won't get the title exactly right (my copy is in the trunk of my car, and it's snowing out, so I'm not going out to get it):

A Photographic Guide to the Hawks/Raptors of North America, by Clark and Wheeler (softback, around 21.00).

This is a very comprehensive guide, jammed full of photos, to all the raptors you'll find in North America. The species account is skimpy, but that's more than made up for with the photos. Each species is documented with an average of 15-20 photos of both sexes, all ages, all plumages (including geographic/racial variations). It's a really terrific guide and should be very helpful to you on raptor ID.

Wheeler and Clark have now come out with a 3-volume hardback raptor guide that I've only glanced at, but which expands greatly on their original guide. This set DOES include all the species account info you could want. I saw this set given as a gift to someone else, and I'm guessing that it's around 20.00/volume.

(But I'm gonna have to have it, eventually!)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back