• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coolpix 4500 / Fieldscope 82ED (1 Viewer)

Gaga

Can somebody tell me where I can buy an adapter to install my Nikon Coolpix 4500 on my Nikon Fieldscope 82ED eyepiece (25-75x)?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if warehouse express (who can be found via the top navigation bar on this page) export to the u.s.... but I believe they do sell Nikon's own adapters. Otherwise you may need to find a main north american Nikon dealer, eagleoptics.com don't seem to sell the Nikon adapters.

Hello Gaga or Andy,
I've got the same set up and have been sent an F/S-CP9XX for Coolpix 4500 series by Warehouse Express but I'm darned if I can see how to attach it to the 25-75x eyepiece. Is there another piece I should be using?
Many thanks
Jen :-C

CP4500 + Fieldscope ED82

Fuchsia said:
Hello Gaga or Andy,
I've got the same set up and have been sent an F/S-CP9XX for Coolpix 4500 series by Warehouse Express but I'm darned if I can see how to attach it to the 25-75x eyepiece. Is there another piece I should be using?
Many thanks
Jen :-C

Hi Guys - i have the above rig....but i need help with what i need to change on the camera setup to be able to take shots. Seem to stop a lot of light through the lens...do i need to alter the method of light sensoring? What about the Lens settings? Do i need to alter any of those on the camera?

Re the rings? The bit with the screw thread goes to the back mate..unscrew it and place the eye piece in the middle. You should then have a very slim adapter that just screws into the side with the screw stopper....that's it. If you want me to ake a pic of it n send you...go ahead and ask. - regards - Wolf

Re the rings? The bit with the screw thread goes to the back mate..unscrew it and place the eye piece in the middle. You should then have a very slim adapter that just screws into the side with the screw stopper....that's it. If you want me to ake a pic of it n send you...go ahead and ask. - regards - Wolf[/QUOTE]

Hello,
A pic would be really helpful - I only have the thin adaptor that attaches to the CP 4500.
Many thanks
Jen :)

Nikon Digiscoping System

A pic would be really helpful - I only have the thin adaptor that attaches to the CP 4500.
Jen :)[/QUOTE]

There is a useful description of the various Nikon adapters at:
<http://nikon.topica.ne.jp/bi_e/products/nature_c.htm>
I've downloaded the same information in a .pdf of a Nikon leaflet but I can't remember where I found it.

You need a F/S-CP9xx adapter for the Coolpix 4500 (or 995).

You also need a FSA Camera Attachment set (three rings FSA-1, -2, -3) to attach the F/S-CP9xx to a Nikon Fieldscope. This works with the 24/30x Wide MC, 30/38x Wide MC, 40/50x Wide MC, 70/75 Wide MC and 20-60/25-75 MC II Zoom eyepieces.

Nikon has three new Wide DS Eyepieces (24/30, 40/50 and 60/75) that need only the FSA-3 ring to attach the FS-CP9xx. I don't know if these eyepieces are widely available yet.

There are other set ups for other Coolpix cameras, for DSLRs and a universal bracket.

I've spent the last several days trying to sort out this information so I hope it is useful for someone else too.

As for where to buy in Canada.
Try Pelee Wings <http://www.peleewings.ca/> - helpful & knowledgeable, or
Binoculars Canada/Camera Canada <http://www.binocularscanada.com/>.

Bob

Last edited:
Gaga said:
Can somebody tell me where I can buy an adapter to install my Nikon Coolpix 4500 on my Nikon Fieldscope 82ED eyepiece (25-75x)?

Thanks!
Why, Nikon themselves, of course! Superbly engineered.

ED82/Coolpix 4500

Gaga said:

Thanks!

Sorry if I've raised your hopes, but all that I would like to ask is that you forward to me any positive replies you may receive to your question.

Focus Scientific, located in Ottawa, Ont sells the Nikon adapters for Nikon scopes. I use the adapter with my Coolpix 990 and ED 78 (same as for the 4500 and ED82 I believe). Like Scampo says, its a very nicely engineered adapter set.
You could call them and they'll tell you exactly what parts you need, and how much.
http://www.focusscientific.com/index.shtml

Balego said:
Focus Scientific, located in Ottawa, Ont sells the Nikon adapters for Nikon scopes. I use the adapter with my Coolpix 990 and ED 78 (same as for the 4500 and ED82 I believe). Like Scampo says, its a very nicely engineered adapter set.
You could call them and they'll tell you exactly what parts you need, and how much.
http://www.focusscientific.com/index.shtml

It looks like the FSA adapter set fits the 25-75x xoom lens, but does it still allow the zoom to be operated?

MikeEvans said:
It looks like the FSA adapter set fits the 25-75x xoom lens, but does it still allow the zoom to be operated?

Mike, no, you have to set the zoom before attaching the adapter. The adapter doesnt allow using the zoom while it is attached, unfortunately. The adapter is three pieces... one that stays on the eyepiece, one that can be unscrewed quickly to access the zoom, and the third stays on the camera. Simply remove the middle piece, set the zoom, and replace it then attach the camera. All very quick, really. I leave my adapter on my scope at all times, only removing the middle part if I really think I need to zoom out or in. I also learned to make this decision depending on if the bird is looking like it isnt going to go anywhere in a hurry. A far away shot is better than no shot at all. My husband hasnt let me forget the time I decided to zoom in before trying a few shots of a pair of redtails cuddled on a branch. Of course, the male was long gone by the time I got everything attached and ready again! ;)

Balego said:
Mike, no, you have to set the zoom before attaching the adapter. The adapter doesnt allow using the zoom while it is attached, unfortunately. The adapter is three pieces... one that stays on the eyepiece, one that can be unscrewed quickly to access the zoom, and the third stays on the camera. Simply remove the middle piece, set the zoom, and replace it then attach the camera. All very quick, really. I leave my adapter on my scope at all times, only removing the middle part if I really think I need to zoom out or in. I also learned to make this decision depending on if the bird is looking like it isnt going to go anywhere in a hurry. A far away shot is better than no shot at all. My husband hasnt let me forget the time I decided to zoom in before trying a few shots of a pair of redtails cuddled on a branch. Of course, the male was long gone by the time I got everything attached and ready again! ;)

Thanks for the response, How do you find the FOV of the 25-75x zoom lens for digiscoping, and what camera do you use?

MikeEvans said:
Thanks for the response, How do you find the FOV of the 25-75x zoom lens for digiscoping, and what camera do you use?

I dont find the FOV to be too bad on the 25-75, although I know a fixed eyepiece would give much wider. I like the option of being able to zoom in if I have to, but when I do I get vignetting and and less light so I have to compensate for that by slowing down my shutter speed. I am using a CP 990. I use the low end of the zoom (25x) for the most part. I would someday like to pick up a fixed 38x wide eyepiece.. I have looked through one and it is amazing!

Bev

Balego said:
I dont find the FOV to be too bad on the 25-75, although I know a fixed eyepiece would give much wider. I like the option of being able to zoom in if I have to, but when I do I get vignetting and and less light so I have to compensate for that by slowing down my shutter speed. I am using a CP 990. I use the low end of the zoom (25x) for the most part. I would someday like to pick up a fixed 38x wide eyepiece.. I have looked through one and it is amazing!

Bev
The 38x is a truly lovely eyepiece, isn't it? The 30x is, too, of course. What fine views they give.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back