• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long Eared Owls Marton Mere (1 Viewer)

Paul Hackett

Decided to visit Marton Mere near Blackpool y/day

My aim was to try and get some decent pics of the long eared Owls that have set up a winter roost there, its never easy because in the main, they are usually deep in the dense bushes/trees

when i arrived there was one bird showing low down but totally obscured and the other birds were well tucked in (see first picture)

I then went around the enclosed area to see if i could get a better shot of the other birds but to no avail, either the bird was backlit, or they were showing their backs to me !

i decided to wander back and forth in the hope that at least one of the birds would possibly move a little to the left or right allowing me a decent unobscured shot, towards the last hour of daylight my first bird moved right about 6 inches enough for me to start taking pics ( see second picture ) then the bird decided to stretch itself fully within the confines of the bush right onto the very tips of its claws with one wing fully outstretched and i pressed the shutter right at the top of the bird's stretch and got this really unusual picture ( see third picture ) it shows that with a little patience anything is possible !

Attachments

• Dscn9028.webjpg.jpg
    Dscn9028.webjpg.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 291
  • Dscn9116.webjpg.jpg
    Dscn9116.webjpg.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 360
  • Dscn9134.webjpg.jpg
    Dscn9134.webjpg.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 364
Very nice Paul. I've een seeing a few LEO's around of late too so I can appreeciate just how difficult it is to get a decent view of them through the branches.

HI Paul. Long eared Owls at Martin mere sounds great! I often go to Martin mere but I do not know where to find them. I also dont know how to see your photos? Can amyone help me?

psilo said:
HI Paul. Long eared Owls at Martin mere sounds great! I often go to Martin mere but I do not know where to find them. I also dont know how to see your photos? Can amyone help me?

Just click on the photos - a new window will appear with the full size image

Psilo,

This is Marton Mere in Blackpool not Martin Mere near Southport.

Andrew,

The birds are in one place. I found the first bird mid November, they have increased and moved roost when disturbed by a photographer (obviously not Paul!).

Stephen.

Paul if you can get a chance to go to Marshside
RSBP at southport, it would be well worth your time there are 3 long-eared owls that have been showing very well over the marsh and no cover to trouble you, park next to the sand works as you come of the carpark keep the works to your left,
and walk about 350 yards you will see a small wooden type jetty set yourself up their, and scan
the marsh.
bert.

Hi stephen.
Thanks for that yup you are right, its me they are
shorties sorry paul, but still nice to see, he says
going a colour of scarlet!!!!

In case I make a visit to Marton Mere for the LEOs. Where about on the reserve should I head for, bearing in mind I have never been there before?

Andrew,

I only live literally round the corner, if you do come up (from Devon?) give me a shout and I'll meet you there and show you them.

Regards,

Stephen.

Thanks for the brilliant offer. I shall remember it.

(from Devon?) Yes, I may be in the area a few days.

Last edited:
Hi Paul

Your pic's are great ! I have 'just' tried my first bird photo & it was this species as its my fave. bird.

The 1st pic seems to show the bird in an Elderberry Bush ? Can you confirm, as i've had 2 seperate roosts this winter were the birds used Elderberry (Sambucus)
Previously i cant recall seeing them in that tree species.

Your second picture is great as it shows a Leo as it should IDEALY BE SEEN....
ie UNDiSTURBED & RELAXED.....!!!!!! (no tufts, 'fat' shape etc) ;) Well Done !!

The 3rd appears to be the same bird as in pic 2, but its obviously limbering up for its night-shift. This is a great picture.

How long did it take to get the pictures?

(Hope to get some photo practice in myself this weekend)

StevieE

Last edited:
Are the owls still there?
I will be visiting God's Country (Lancashire) at the weekend and plan an afternoon at Martin Mere but the snow Buntings at Starr Gate (wherever that is) and LEO at Marton Mere could induce a slightly earlier start and a bit of a detour to Blackpool.
Don't know my way round Marton Mere (only one visit a long time - American Bittern - ago) so a few directions would be helpful as well.

Thanks

Nick

PS V nice pics!

Nick-on said:
at Starr Gate (wherever that is)
QUOTE]

Wherever that is! It's the centre of the universe. Over 1300 scoter there this morning - check out my website for more details.

Yes the owls are still there, took somebody today who'd never seen a LEO.

I am trying to see if I can accommodate Andrew this weekend, but if you come on Saturday let me know and I can probably show you either or both sites.

If you want a description of where to see some of the owls I can do this.

Stephen.

Can't make Saturday unfortunately so directions would be very nice, thanks. Will have to visit the 'centre of the universe' to see what it looks like (got very confused by stephen Hawking's book) as for 1000 C.Scoters I'm afraid I'm of the "seen one seen 'em all" persuasion as far as ducks are concerned (except rare Eiders and Harlequin). Far more interested in the Snow Bunts! There was a Shorelark with them earlier in the winter but I don't know if it's still about? Hope you have a good day Saturday (I won't, I'll be being towed round the Trafford Centre....).

Cheers

Nick

Paul cracking photos your first was very similar to Steves shot earlier in the week. Love the second shot, do the ear tufts just flop down when it is relaxed? As with Steve's comment your third was a little different showing a wing at full stretch. I thought Marton Mere was near the end of the M61?

Nick,

Well I guess the 3 Long-tailed Ducks this morning wouldn't win you round either, but with these and 1300 scoter and a pod of porpoises all before work I was certainly impressed.

There were 2 Shorelarks, as far as I know I was the last person to see them on Friday so they may have moved on. The Snow Buntings were showing well today despite the half term crowds.

In terms of the owls they are all in one place but viewed from two locations. The easiest of these to describe is the one outside the reserve. Leave the reserve in the north east corner, joining the bridleway by the corner of the golf course. Walk towards the hotel with the golf course to your right. When your view of the golf course is obscured by a mound stop just before the small hawthorn bush on the mound and look in the bush to your left inside the reserve fence. There was one showing really well there yesterday.

The others are just east of the path to the container hide, on a Sunday just ask somebody as there are usually plenty of people about.

(By the way Marton Mere is at the end of the M55, not the M61 which again sounds rather like signpost for Martin Mere WWT, though this is some miles from that motorway).

Hope that helps. If anybody is going and wants directions for Pinkfeet and Whoopers in the vicinity let me know.

Stephen.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back