• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Port Douglas or Cairns? (1 Viewer)

pbelardo

Hi Everyone,

My fiancee and I are taking our honeymoon to Australia at the end of September for 2 weeks. We'll be in the Cairns area for about a week. We want to do some birding/wildlife watching tour in the rainforest. We'd also like to do a night rainforest tour and the Daintree river tour. Are there any tour companies that you recommend for this? Do you recommend we stay in Cairns or Port Douglas (or someplace else)? What are the "must see" birding/wildlife areas there? Thanks!

Port Douglas Sky Rail thru the rain forest, up by chair lift, down by train magnificent, not to be missed.
Rainforest habitat a few kM South of Port Douglas is another superb attraction. Hundreds of bird species in free flight. No hint of being in captivity. On our last visit to FNQ we stayed in Cairns, plenty to do in the immediate area and other major attractions are within easy reach. Car hire is inexpensive and we prefer to do our own thing rather than take organized tours.
I'm sure you will be thrilled with your visit to Far North Queensland. Every good wish for your future together.
Regards, Mozza29

I'd say stay in Cairns. I'll have to dig out my trip notes from a few years back, but the Esplanade and Botanic Gardens (particularly the south ponds about 3/4 before sunrise for Black Bittern, Red-browed Crake) are excellent sites. Hire a car. As Mozza says they're relatively inexpensive, and Cairns is still a couple of hours south of Daintree. You'll probably also want to visit the Atherton Tablelands rainforest.

I'll find my notes and post in the next day or two with some good sites.

I stayed at both (and further south at Mission Beach - Licuala Lodge - for guaranteed Cassowary sights).
Further to what others have said - if you're on honeymoon then Port Douglas is a superb place to be. Lots of lovely small hotels, superb scenery, boutique restaurants, shops, fantastic (huge) beach, etc, etc.
I specifically picked it for our wedding anniversary. It has that small seaside town atmosphere which you don't get in Cairns.
The road between Port Douglas & Cairns is fantastic too - on a par with the Pacific highway on the California coast - except quiet!
You'll love it all.

Queensland

Hello,

for my point of view the area in north of Daintree river is the most interesting.
In this area I saw different Cassowaries, but September is not so the best time for the Cassowaries.
Over the Daintree ferry I took the 2. turn. There was a camp which offert excellent night watching tours.
I would recommend this and additional use the boardwalks for Your own nightours.

There is also a boat trip possible on a lake in Athertons Tableland.
( Lake Eacham or Barrine )
You can see Australian Eel from the boat.
I use also snorkeling gear in the lake. Lots of fishs, turtle and so on are there.

Best regards
Dieter

I'd suggest either Cairns or Daintree. Plenty of waders and others on the esplanade in Cairns. Boat trip, Chrsi Dahlberg at Daintree. Excellent B&B there, Red Mill House. Andrew and Trish are birders and really helpful. Great birds in their garden, they do have a website.

Phil

I've stayed at both Cairns and Port Douglas and if going again I'd definitely stay in Port Douglas again, which is an extremely attractive and pleasant place, ideal for a honeymoon. Cairns is a bit of dump in my opinion (the tourist part - I'm sure it's nice to live there) although the birding on the Esplanade is sensational. I'll simply drive down to Cairns from PD to bird the Esplanade on my next trip.

E

Thanks all! You're making it a tough choice, but have given me some great tips. I've seen Red Mill House online and it looks awesome!

I think its one of the best b&b I've stayed in anywhere. Really nice people. Boat trips are excellent, they will get you up as well, or they did. More than 1 choice as well. Chris Dahlberg is probably the best known but there are a couple of others I've done, Mangrove Man I think was one and Lee Lafferty. all have their merits.

Phil

You could kill two birds with one stone and do a Daintree River trip at night with Dan Irby. We did this a couple of years ago and it was great for Crocs and Frogmouth (Papuan) Just google his name and you should find his web site.

Cairns + Car

Hello,

how said rent a car would be very helpful.

But make if You rent a car, the car is really ensured.
If the contract says in case of damage You have to pay 1000 AUS$ or more, it can be very expensive.
It does not matter if You cause an accident, or someone hit Your car or the rental company blame You with an old scratch.
You have to sign, the car rental can take this deposit.
How You get it back is Your own problem.

Do not expect any help from australian police.

Best regards
Dieter

Last edited:
Port Douglas without a doubt! There is a shop in McCrossan Street that does SENSATIONAL roasted coconut ice cream. I travelled the length of Australia but never found anything as good. And the PD birds are pretty good too.

Dave

Car hire theives

Hello,

how said rent a car would be very helpful.

But make if You rent a car, the car is really ensured.
If the contract says in case of damage You have to pay 1000 AUS$ or more, it can be very expensive.
It does not matter if You cause an accident, or someone hit Your car or the rental company blame You with an old scratch.
You have to sign, the car rental can take this deposit.
How You get it back is Your own problem.

Do not expect any help from australian police.

Best regards
Dieter

Good point when you accept vehicle be sure to go over it closely and point out any damage. From memory you might want to do this before signing for goods in good condition so damage may be noted. And thats right dont expect any help from the Australian police but no discrimination there, they wouldn't help Australians we just keep bending over and coping it. Rental property's same thing to the extent someone took a gun into the real estate's office and shot the agent a couple of years ago south of Brisbane.
Mozza Sky rail and train way to go, it is located just Nth Cairns

Last edited:
Hi pbelardo congrates
Might I suggest Hire a car stay at Ellis Beach just north of Palm Cove north of Cairns. Ellis Beach have self contained bungalow/cabins on the palmed beach real good spot far enough to be out of the city but still close for visit when desired and from this point you could get out to see all of the above although Mission may be a stretch for day trip but not out of the question and probably want to spend a night there any way.
I hope you both enjoy and have great time and good time for weather Regards George

Last edited:
Just incase you haven't left yet. Try to get up to Kingfisher Park and Mount Malloy. Easy daytrip from Cairns - or you could stay at Kingfisher Park. So many different habitats so close and Great Bowerbirds in the middle of town (mount malloy).....
I grew up in Middlesex..........

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back