• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Donana, Spain. Information Please (1 Viewer)

JimMorris

Can anyone help with some information on the Donana National park in Spain. I have been to the El Rocio area before but next month we are spending a fortnight around the Isla Mayor side of the Donana.

Does anyone know if the roads on that side of the Donana are up to taking a camper van around some of the out of the way birding sites as my wife is disabled and spends most of the time in the camper. I realise that most of the side roads are not tarmac but are they wide enough and firm enough for a camper. My one is 2.2 metres wide.

If it is any help the bird sites that we want to visit are =

Dehasa de Abajo.
Entremuros.
The Rio Odiel marshes.
The Jose Antonio Valverde Center.
The Cano de Guadiamar.
Casa de Bombas and the Brazo de la Torre.
The gravel pits on the edge of the northern marshes.
The Brazo del Este.

I sure some of you can help me out on this one and if anyone knows of a campsite in that area would be a bonus as it would save traveling to and from El Rocio each day, around 60 kilometres for the round journey.

Hoping to hear from you knowledgeable people.
Jim Morris.

I don't get over to the Coto proper as it's too far to drive from my base in Cadiz so I can't speculate about the condition of the roads/tracks. Virtually all of the birds on the Coto can be seen much closer to hand at ..... Brazo del Este. When I was there this May the track through the middle was certainly wide enough for a camper and in reasonable condition too. With so little rain since I can't see them being any different. I came in from the south so I can't be certain about the approach road if you're arriving from the north (as i suppose you will),

John

Been 3 years since I've been to that area but when staying in Hinojos I took the small vehicle ferry across the Guadaquivir to visit Brazo del Este -this same ferry took a camper van across so it should be ok. The pot-hole ridden roads around the Isla Major are fairly wide to allow access for heavy farm machinery such as the rice-harvesting combines,etc. The track to the Jose Antonio Valverde centre in the northern marshes of Donana might be a struggle however!

The track to the Jose Antonio Valverde centre in the northern marshes of Donana might be a struggle however!

Concur - they were in a terrible state when I was there a few years back.

A group of Yank birders who were staying in the same B&B as me in El Rocio had covered a lot of Spain, working down from Madrid to subsequently write their hire car's exhaust off trying to get to and from El Rocio to Jose Valverde - they were less than impressed.

Its for this reason coupled with the fact that there's fewer humans, just as good birds and better views of those the birds that I've since stayed on the Eastern Side (Bonanza, Algaida, etc).

There is a back way to JAV using a side road just south of Villamanrique de la Condesa which has a better less-rutted track but though I could probably still find it I couldn't begin to describe how to get on to it.

I would respectfully suggest that for a phenomenal birding experience the section from Lucio del Lobo to JAV (IN SPRING) would beat any site on the east bank hands down whilst the nearby Dehesa de Abajo is a stunning birding site when the White Stork colony is in full swing.

bought some leaflets back from a recent day-trip there, but they are in spanish and I haven't managed to find a translator yet. On one there is a map though which indicates there is a camp site within I suppose 2 or 3 miles of El Rocio to the west and another at Matalascanas which is once again on the west side, but down on the coast.

this guy has been recommended by someone who organises birding holidays as very good, http://www.donana-nature.com but no doubt at a price

a quick search on fatbirder.com suggests some books (may be in spanish) on where to watch

Not a great deal of info, but hope it helps. I also saw some info on the Spanish tourist Board site

Paul

Edit. just crossed my mind that I could take a photo of the map and email it over to you if it's of use - just PM me

Last edited:
Thank all for the info, it's been a great help. I found a photo on google of the ferry Steve it takes 7 cars so big enough for the camper.

I shall be coming from the south John as I have found a campsite in Bonanza, also the roads look a bit better on that side of the river. Makes it more comfortable for my better half. I'll post a report on the trip when I get back around Nov 10th.

Any other bird sites anyone can come up with feel free to send me a PM. Thanks again.
Jim.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back