• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Vortex Vipers (1 Viewer)

Steve C

When I talked to Vortex today in gathering information on another post, I asked them if they had any 32mm binoculars in the works. The answer was yes. Vortex Vipers in 6x, 8x, and 10x32. No specifications were available, but they said expect release in early 2009. I asked if they had considered 7x and he said no. So, IF anyone is really interested in a 7x, maybe a curious call to Vortex about the future availability of 32mm binoculars and a request for 7x might be useful. On the other hand, he sounded pretty definite about 6, 8 and 10. Looks like odd numbered magnifications may be out. It was like, "no we aren't considering anything else". Maybe that's something too late in the process to be designed in at this point.

Last edited:
Nice Steve. I look forward to seeing the specs. If they are the typical then I would expect a 400 or so foot 8x32 and a 420-440 foot 6x32. With ED glass they should be very appealing. Other than the Pentax EDs I am not aware of many, if any, 32 mm ED glass recently priced bins.

Now the question comes....6x32 or 8x32?

;)

Always room for more 8x32s in a reasonable price range. I don't really need any, but heh, maybe, just so I can have a Viper as well. ;)

Nice work (you have been busy today).

32mm EDs will be an interesting step for Vortex.

I wonder what the price point will be? I'm presuming just below the current Viper prices? Perhaps the $400 and something range?

We live in interesting times (see the Hawke Frontier post!).

Who said the Vipers have ED glass, someone at Vortex?
Hope they're not typical. I'd sure like to see a 6x32 with a really wide field...like 9.5-10 degrees.
A 6x with a FOV barely larger than what you can get from a 8x, and a smaller AFOV holds no attraction for me. 'Course I want a 6x with as much FOV as possible for spectator sports, not exit pupil size and brightness, like some will.
Their 6.5x32 Fury has a 445ft. FOV...a corresponding FOV for 6x would be 482', I believe. Almost 9.2*. Even with a 55* AFOV, at 89' wider than my 8x32s, that difference should be quite noticeable. I could talk myself into trying that.
Unfortunately, in the 42mm models, the Vipers have smaller FOVs than the corresponding Fury models. Maybe that won't be true of the 32mms.

I really want a high quality 4x32...like that'll happen:-C

Owen,

Vortex has always advertised the Vipers with XD (extra-low dispersion) glass. I think that people tend to equate HD, ED, XD and most other terms used for high quality glass used to help them sell binoculars.

It would really be interesting to side by side the 6x Yosemite, 6x Katmi, 6.5x Fury, 7x Swift, and new 6xViper.

For your wish for a high quality 4x32, how about a 5x32. Swedepat posted this link in another thread http://www.bigbinoculars.com/m532w.htm
TFOV @693' @ 13.5* and AFOV @ 66* should appeal to you.

Last edited:
Agh, you're right. I forgot all about the Vipers having XD glass, not just the Razor.
That Miyauchi 5x32 is right up my alley(aside from looking weird, it seems perfect!), but it's been backordered for months. I keep an eye on that page regularly in case they ever come in stock. I do prefer a roof prism if I could find a suitable one, especially since I foresee a lot of use in different environments if I ever get a bin like that. Thanks for going to the trouble of finding that link for me, though.

And yeah, a bin with tremendous FOV/AFOV like that has got to be something to look through!
I read a review on Cloudy Nights, and it's not going to be an edge sharpness or long range resolution champ by any means, but I bet it'd be awesome from the cheap seats at college football games!

Last edited:
I forgot all about the Vipers having XD glass

Yes, well I think it is easy to forget, or maybe irrelevant, because from what I've seen in trying out a couple different Vortex 8x42 Vipers is that they exhibit more CA than the nonHD Leica 8x42 Ultravid (and I've never been impressed with that model's performance in that respect).

--AP

Yes, well I think it is easy to forget, or maybe irrelevant, because from what I've seen in trying out a couple different Vortex 8x42 Vipers is that they exhibit more CA than the nonHD Leica 8x42 Ultravid (and I've never been impressed with that model's performance in that respect).

Same here. I immediately noticed CA in the Vipers though the image still did indeed appear quite sharp. An interesting combination.

I would then take it that just have ED style glass in the design, much like having a phase coated roof prism, does not automatically guarantee superior image quality. Still I would be interested in trying a 32 mm version.

Now if they would just come out with a 32 mm Razor....;)

This is odd! I was looking at the Viper Specs on Eagle and note that the 42mm models are "phase corrected" but the 50mm models have no such statement in their specs. And yet, the 50mm Vortex Vultures, which cost over $300.00 less than the 50mm Vipers are "phase corrected."
Bob

Last edited:
It's not mentioned on the Vortex web site either.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/binoculars/view/vortex_viper_8x42

Not mentioned for the Razor either

http://www.vortexoptics.com/binoculars/view/vortex_razor_8x42

But the Vortex Stokes DLS does say it's phase corrected

http://www.vortexoptics.com/binoculars/view/stokes_dls_8x42

Perhaps it's a form of parallel placement? Which started after the DLS was introduced?

I note that high end bins (Euro 3 and similar) don't mention that their roof prisms bins are phase corrected either because "of course they're phase corrected, as they have been for more than a quarter of a century, they're "Swarzeica" bins. We don't sell junk you know."

I think Vortex want the Viper and Razor to be thought of in this "Euro 3 class" not associated with the riff raff (and the customers are "supposed" to be smart enough to know that but of course it just confuses us ;) )

Swarzeica is a trade mark of Kevin's Sleazy Binocular Company of Khazakstan. Proud providers of 6.33x25.4 reverse porros to the Heroic Khazak Armed Forces. Hands off.

--AP

I think its slightly unfair to compare the leicas with the vipers when there is a £750 ($1400) price difference tho don't you.

Darryl

Same here. I immediately noticed CA in the Vipers though the image still did indeed appear quite sharp. An interesting combination.

I would then take it that just have ED style glass in the design, much like having a phase coated roof prism, does not automatically guarantee superior image quality. Still I would be interested in trying a 32 mm version.

Now if they would just come out with a 32 mm Razor....;)

If I am reading this right, Frank, would you say I did better going with non ED Pentax 10x43 instead of the 10x42 Vipers? I can put up with as much CA as the 300 dollar binoculars usually have.

If I am reading this right, Frank, would you say I did better going with non ED Pentax 10x43 instead of the 10x42 Vipers? I can put up with as much CA as the 300 dollar binoculars usually have.

Could question Tero. I know I saw CA in both the SPs and the Vipers. I never had the two side by side so I could not say which had more. The only characteristic I remember being different enough to comment on was that the Vipers seemed exceptionally neutral in terms of their color representation...

...not that the SPs weren't as well but that was the one characteristic that really stood out to me about the Vipers. That and their brightness.

I have been using my 8 x 42 Vortex Vipers for almost a year in a wide variety of conditions. I have never noticed any chromatic aberration when looking through them. As with most binoculars, I am sure there is some there, and you will find it if you go looking for it. But I do not think this is something that should be of any concern to anyone other than those who enjoy testing binoculars as much as looking through them. (And I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with that -- it's just not my cup of tea).

My two cents,
Jim

Last edited:
Alexis, Frank, and Tero,

I'm going to add my two cents alongside Jim's. I have had extensive time behind both 8x and 10x42 Vipers and to my eyes chromatic abberation is just not there unless I go deliberately looking for it in the most extreme conditions. I have no intent to argue that Alexis and Frank do not see what they see. On the other hand, just because Jim and I don't see it dosen't mean it's not there to some degree. This is a good illustration of how different human optical systems mate up differently with different binoculars.

For my part, in response to Tero's question to Frank, I do not have the Pentax SP, because in that glass I see noticeable abberation. I'm somebody that usually is not bothered by CA. So, take that FWIW. If I were Tero and thinking about a Viper/SP class 8x binocular, I'd go through Eagle Optics, order the Viper and if I liked it, I'd keep it. If I didn't I'd send it back for a Pentax. I guess if I liked neither, I'd keep looking. However, I have a hard time seeing where somebody after that class of binocular would be turned off by both.

I usually use Leizeniski to describe the top end glass.

I think its slightly unfair to compare the leicas with the vipers when there is a £750 ($1400) price difference tho don't you.

No, I don't, and for at least two reasons. First, for me the aspect of most interest in binoculars is optical quality, so I love optics that are superb AND cheap (e.g. Nikon 8x30EII) but I've chosen to budget for those that are not (i.e. that are expensive) if that's what it takes to meet my standards. Second, and in this particular case, there is an issue of what ED/HD/XD/LD exotic glass accomplishes. There have been relatively inexpensive porros with ED glass that have achieved a low CA view, and there is at least one inexpensive roof (the Promaster Elite ELX ED) that by all reports here at Birdforum does the same. So given that earlier posters in the thread were interested in the prospect of an ED 8x32, my point is that it remains to be seen how they perform, because the full-sized Viper is an underachiever in this respect (as an ED binocular, and as a full-sized roof prism generally).

As for the issue of CA in general, I just describe what I see. What one should buy will take into consideration many factors, and CA might be one of them. The full sized Ultravids are outstanding binoculars, and I've purchased and use them despite their CA. Anyone who wants to is free to do the same with the Vipers. I'm just saying that I'm not impressed with their XD label given that they don't even deliver the performance I expect from a well designed and made nonED.

The human brain does a very good job of eliminating CA from our awareness, but that doesn't mean that just because you aren't conscious of its effects that it isn't robbing the view of information! I notice CA all the time, whether in binoculars or just my regular eyeglasses. I notice the difference in magnification between my corrected right versus left eyes when I look at rectilnear subjects like my laptop screen. I notice changes in the astigmatism in my right eye according to the hydration level of my cornea (it changes very slightly after I take a shower or go for a swim). My eye doctor says that I am hyper-aware of very tiny issues with my eyes, and that I must be pushing my visual system to its limits throughout much of my everyday life, not just when I'm birding or playing with binos. Well, I already knew that. I'm a VERY visually oriented person, and specifically have always been "obsessed" with fine details of texture and pattern in everything that I look at. Perhaps the important thing to realize here is that evaluating binoculars did not make me this way, rather, it is because I'm such a visually oriented person that I became interested in using optics (hand lenses, loupes, cameras, binoculars, telescopes, microscopes) and owning good ones in the first place. Another thing to know is that just because a person can see the flaws in an optical device doesn't mean they can't use it just as effectively as someone who is less aware (it drives me crazy when people say not to look for CA--as if not being aware of it somehow makes you able to overcome its effects!).

--AP

Last edited:
Steve, I am a little more interested in the 8x32 Vipers not so much the 8x42. I have an 8x42 now, a porro Bushnell.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back