• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pisa area 15-18 November (1 Viewer)

apbarr

Scotland
Any advice on sites close to Pisa worth a visit on the above dates appreciated particularly info on Wallcreeper

AlexB

Success thanks to some Italian birders present at the site who picked up one bird in flight followed by views on the cliffs later. Also had Sardinian Warbler, Rock Thrush and several Black Redstarts as well as Italian Wall Lizard.
Didn't think to ask if there were any Birdforum members there, if so thanks again

AlexB

Success thanks to some Italian birders present at the site who picked up one bird in flight followed by views on the cliffs later. Also had Sardinian Warbler, Rock Thrush and several Black Redstarts as well as Italian Wall Lizard.Didn't think to ask if there were any Birdforum members there, if so thanks again

You welcome! ;)

I guess I'm too late for the Wallcreepers next week. I'm in Lucca from 21st to the 25th and looking for any good birding in the area. Very grateful for any tips.

Thanks,
Graham

I guess I'm too late for the Wallcreepers next week. I'm in Lucca from 21st to the 25th and looking for any good birding in the area.

The most interesting site is Serchio river mouth, close to Marina di Vecchiano (site no 49 of my book).
http://maps.google.it/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=it&geocode=&q=Marina+di+Vecchiano&sll=41.442726,12.392578&sspn=23.153737,28.168945&ie=UTF8&ll=43.793588,10.276937&spn=0.043617,0.055017&t=p&z=14

Leave the car in the parking lot and walk along the seaside to the left (South) to reach the river mouth (seabirds, terns, gulls, migrating ducks). Otherwise keep North and explore the area between the sandy dunes and the macchia for passerines (Pine Buntings already left).

Another site is Bonifica di Vecchiano but you need a local guide.
(Wallcreeper too late, you are right)

The most interesting site is Serchio river mouth, close to Marina di Vecchiano (site no 49 of my book).
http://maps.google.it/maps?f=q&sour...3588,10.276937&spn=0.043617,0.055017&t=p&z=14

Leave the car in the parking lot and walk along the seaside to the left (South) to reach the river mouth (seabirds, terns, gulls, migrating ducks). Otherwise keep North and explore the area between the sandy dunes and the macchia for passerines (Pine Buntings already left).

Another site is Bonifica di Vecchiano but you need a local guide.
(Wallcreeper too late, you are right)

Many thanks. I've got your book, Luciano, and will be checking that site and a couple of others from it. I was thinking of a day in the Alpi Apuane and a day on Palmaria, which would pretty much fill the time.

How do I get a guide to Bonifica di Vecchiano? Is that the nature reserve / woodland west of Pisa which is restricted access?

Thanks,
Graham

EDIT: I got a reply via BirdingPal and have a chap to show me Serchio river mouth and Bonifica di Vecchiano. Thanks again for your help, Luciano.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back