• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mp3 players (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Anyone got any thoughts on mp3 players. Do the rather expensive i-pods actually have any advantages over others? Anyone tried the creative zen mosiac, which is a lot cheaper and has a built in speaker?

An important thing to consider is how easy it is to scroll through the menu, particularly if you've got a lot of recordings. Some are much quicker and easier than others. IPods are okay in this respect but the Creative Zen I used to have was much better.

I'll second Andrew about the Creative Zen, I use the Vision M which can handle video as well as mp3. No speaker but a cheap pair of speakers cost me a tenner from Tesco.
Nice intuitive menu system, good clear screen.

I have an I-River Clix2 (8gb) which I thought was easy to use till I bought OH a Creative Zen (4gb) which is much so much easier to scroll through the menus and has added advantage of expandable memory (SD cards)

Stewart

I use my phone (Sony Ericsson Walkman). Advantage - means only carrying the phone, diasadvantage - a bit dearer than a basic mobile phone.

I've just spent some birthday money on a Sony Walkman, and got this little gadget with it, for bird calls:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...SRS-NWT10M-Portable-Mini-Speaker/Product.html

Not sure if this would fit a Walkman phone - if it does, then it's a great way to carry just one 'gadget'.

Size and weight are a big plus - walkman plus case and speaker total <100g, and its only about mobile phone sized. Sound quality is quite good, though obviously not enormously loud - I guess it'll be better than any of the MP3 players' built in speakers, though. Calls of Eastern Vagrants all sound pretty useful! Will be trying it out over the next couple of weeks where I can, so I'll try to remember to post an update...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back