• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

impact of wrong weather conditions (1 Viewer)

erik

cheesehead
Netherlands
The warm weather of the last days in europe causes many troubles, at least here in the netherlands. Hedgehocs have come out of their hidingplaces and toads have started to cross the roads again, with no volunteers available to help them. Butterflies are flying yet, mosquitos are (i dread that the most...) and they expect much trouble with returning birds, since there are a lot of insects getting active now and when the birds return there will be far less.
Will this be an annual thing that will rise till an everlasting summer?

Hi Erik,

Yes it does cause problems - I remember reading last year that the early warm spring in southern England resulted in a very bad breeding season for tits, because the caterpillars hatched too early, and were gone by the time the tits were nesting

Michael

I'm surprised really - warm winters are hardly a new thing. I can remember sitting out on Christmas Day in the early seventies.

Last edited:
The Black Headed Gulls were catching flies out of the air yesterday.
Blackbirds and sparrows are collecting nesting material already.
It's so warm here now and we've only had a couple of frosts since October!!
We'll probably have a frost in a month or so 'n that 'll kill off most of the new leaves.

erik said:
When i got home this morning i saw all diff kinds of spring flowers yet. They are way too early!
I think maybe that your memory is being affected by media hype, Erik! Since a youngster I can remember such comments appearing annually.

Adey Baker said:
And what's the betting that the weather-forecasters will be predicting 'unseasonal' snow comes April!
They might even predict unseasonal showers followed by on-time May flowers. Anything is possible. What really annoys me about the weather folks is their inability to remember anything and apologise for their amazing hype and errors.

Gerry Hooper said:
The Black Headed Gulls were catching flies out of the air yesterday.
Blackbirds and sparrows are collecting nesting material already.
It's so warm here now and we've only had a couple of frosts since October!!
We'll probably have a frost in a month or so 'n that 'll kill off most of the new leaves.
But you've always been known as the English Riviera!

(-:

Adey Baker said:
And what's the betting that the weather-forecasters will be predicting 'unseasonal' snow comes April!
Nothing unseasonal about snow in April - far more likely then than in December!

Newcastle once (1975) had 1½cm of snow lying on 2nd June, and nearby Consett (Co. Durham) had 15cm of it the same day.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Nothing unseasonal about snow in April - far more likely then than in December!

Newcastle once (1975) had 1½cm of snow lying on 2nd June, and nearby Consett (Co. Durham) had 15cm of it the same day.

Michael
A couple of years after that 77 or 78 I got caught in a blizzard on the North york moors in the last week of may no fun at all on a motor bike!

If I had to choose just one month of the year to put money on for snow falling, locally, then I'd go for April every time!

I remember that cold spell in early June, 1975, Michael! All the young leaves on my local Ash trees were completely blackened by a really hard (for the time of year) frost.

And the gardeners were complaining of the damage done to their runner beans. I've never forgotten that, and I usually start mine off in pots in the greenhouse and plant them out well into June (there was a frost on the 7th of June a couple of years ago that did a lot of damage to runner beans all over the allotment site - except for mine which were still inside!)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back