• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Head torches for night birding (1 Viewer)

Jono L

I want to improve on my battered old petzl head torch for a forthcoming trip to Costa Rica, where I will be doing some nocturnal birding and mammaling. It should be light, with an ability to take AA or AAA batteries so that I can use rechargeables or easily pick up replacements. It needs a good beam too, but not so powerful it will fry the retinas of a Nighthawk.
I ideally want to spend less than £50.
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers

I've never been able to bring myself to pay forty-odd quid for a Princeton Tec or Petzl torch, and the no-name job I got from Milletts for a tenner has been OK. But I have just found that Alpkit do one for £12.50 delivered and ordered it on the strength of this review... http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5174

Will let you know how I get on with it, but if it's half as good value as the camping mat and stuff sacs I got from them I'll be extremely pleased. By selling a narrow range of very well made goods, from the UK, with absolutely outstanding customer service, at factory prices, Alpkit seem to be undercutting a lot of big brands with excellent kit. In fact I've previously been tempted not to recommend them for fear they will rapidly grow out of their current beautiful smallness!

Graham

Thanks guys...to the shops it is.
I have been recommended the Petzl Tikka XP and many others.
I will check a few out.
All the best,

I want to improve on my battered old petzl head torch for a forthcoming trip to Costa Rica, where I will be doing some nocturnal birding and mammaling. It should be light, with an ability to take AA or AAA batteries so that I can use rechargeables or easily pick up replacements. It needs a good beam too, but not so powerful it will fry the retinas of a Nighthawk.
I ideally want to spend less than £50.
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers

Another vote for the Energizer headlamp (can't remember the actual model I own). I paid ca. 14€ (10£?) in June and it still goes strong - battery life (one of those small flat round ones) is guaranteed for 300hours. Lighting performance is great (a 5 metres beam) and it's equipped also with a red light

Received my Petzl Tikka XP. Fantastic, tiny and light, with a pretty great beam. Just need a Jaguar to shine it at now...
All the best,

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back