• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from London (1 Viewer)

Alastair Rae

London birder
Having a quick look around. Looks like a good site. Not sure about all the smilies, though!

I was referred here by an article on uk.rec.birdwatching. Having been reading that newsgroup since it started up, I'm sick of the way it has been hijacked by abusive people with axes to grind.

I guess that's the likely fate of any fully open forum. Moderated sites must be the way to go.

About me - my partner Ann & I have been birding for about 20 years. Bitten by the travel bug, we've just come back from a trip to Ethiopia. Africa is just the biz.

At home, we've been concentrating mostly on botany. But I've just got a new scope + digital camera so more birding in '03.

Welcome to the Forum Alistair.

You'll find novices and experts alike here who can give you some pointers with regard to digiscoping.

And rest-assured you will be given a warm welcome by all members - moreso than some cold, clinical newsgroup anyhow!

Look forward to reading your posts from London.

:t:

Hi Alastair,

Welcome to the Birdforum - I'll refrain from posting a smilie for you !

I think that you'll find that everyone on this site is of a pleasanter disposition than uk.rec.birdwatching. I still peruse the newsgroup, but as you say it has deteriorated over the last year or so. The abuse and flaming by one or two individuals who seem to have hijacked the group has spoilt the pleasure gained from using it. I no longer read the majority of postings. One or two other Birdforum members have found their way from there to.

I hope that you find plenty of threads of interest to you and obviously feel free to join in. Most of us are what I would call enthusiastic amateurs with a sprinkling of more knowledgeable individuals.

The site is still in it's infancy, but seems to be developing nicely.

See you around the site :t: (sorry couldn't resist the urge !)

Welcome to the forum Alastair.

B :) in the questions and answers in the forums and if you agree with any points, just give us the :t: . When you have completed lots of posts you will be crowned the :king: Don't o:D away before you have a good look around. There is nobody here who thinks that they are the :cat: whiskers. A nod is as good a ;) around here. Hope that you will find it a good place.

Seriously Alastair, there are a lot of people novices and experts alike who will find an answer to most questions on things ornithological. Hope to see some more posts from you soon.

Colin

Welcome to the forum Alistair.

I think the others have covered most of it (especially Colin's little masterpiece).

I have long ago pulled out of newsgroups and to be honest never thought I would rejoin anything again until this forum came along. It is friendly, informative and as you say moderated. This cuts out the potential problems that newsgroups seem to suffer from. As you say, it must be the way forward.

There is a forum entitled Trip Reports. I hope you do a trip report on Ethiopia. It would make interesting reading. More so if it was accompanied by some photo's in the gallery.

Alastair

Pleased to see there is another member from London. We might even have enough to form a sub group one day and go off birding around London!

This is an excellent site, although once you've met some of the members you'll realise that you'll have to keep your wits about you at all times.

Colin the Axeman, Moneyman......I ask you!

All the best.

Welcome aboard, Alastair. Nice to have another local on here.... where are all the home counties birders?

Glad you made it across from ukrb, where I think the majority are too scared to post in case they get jumped on by pedantic so & so's who have a whole book of newsgroup rules (printed circa 1989) to enforce.... and that's not counting the total fruit cakes on there!

We do have a digiscoping forum, further down the list.... any questions are welcomed.
Pity you missed our 'Digiscoping day' at Rutland on Sunday....not that much Digiscoping was possible due to bad light, though you did miss the body numbing N.E. winds.
Regards,
Andy B

Hi Alastair

Welcome to the forum!
You won't find any UK rec style people here although they're not all bad, just the few that spoil it for the many.

You'll find it very friendly here and we're even having get togethers now, although I missed the first one :-C

paj

From one Alastair to another, Welcome!

I fully endorse what everyone says ('though don't believe everything Peter says; he hangs about with dodgy polititians too much!).

I'm sure you will find this site full of friendly advice, chat and fun!

Al

Hi Alastair, I'm nearly as new as you, just joined about a week ago but I was in time to go on the Rutland Water trip with this suitably bonkers bunch of birders. They are all seriously enthusiastic and/or knowledgeable birders and a great day out was had by all.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back