• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aol The Worst Possible Provider On The Planet (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
AOL is IMOHO the worst internet company on the planet, the amount of members that Mail admin with problems, ranging from log in, to not receiving the final part of the registration is alarming,

WANT SOME FREE ADVICE

DUMP IT ITS RUBBISH !!!

Rant over !

gee, I use aol -- and I have practically no problems. Once in a great while, I can't get on, but that's happened only twice since I went on aol in November. And I'll continue to use it because I got six months free service when the laptop was purchased. So I can't kvetch about it at all.

Before I went on the net I was warned off AOL because of all the problems they cause,and judging by comments from AOL users I was well advised.

If you are considering broadband in the UK HERE is not a bad place to start your research.
I use PlusNet and have had few problems since I got my modem installed (which was a nightmare!). They give 250Mb of web space and unlimited email addresses which is why I went for them.

As I was given a free disc, AOL was the first ISP I went on the internet with. It totally screwed up my pc. They have been trying to get me back ever since and must have spent a small fortune sending me free! AOL discs.
Now with Pipex broadband and had no problems setting up. Was unable to connect because of Pipex problems over about a week but OK otherwise.

I couldn't agree more!
I run an online business and can't send emails to AOL users with my Tiscali account - I have to use a web based account just for them which takes forever.
Problem is I think they are just too big to fight :-(

Jen

I have to agree with you Steve. We use AOL and it is totally hopeless. We must complain every day about it. Certain things you just get used to but should we have to when there are much better internet providers out there. We have also been told that if we do change internet providers that its really difficault to get rid of AOL off your computer so we've decided to get a new computer (we need one anyway) and get broadband with a different provider. Cant wait!!

In Rome we finally got fiberoptic T3+ broadband a couple of years ago. It feels kind of wierd to be technologically ahead of anybody here in Italy, for anything!!! ;)

I also get inundated with the AOL "freebie" CDs, and I've finally found a use for them. Being an avid shooter, I find that they make great pistol and rifle targets (just remember to police the area very well after a day at the range)...

GR

I also get inundated with the AOL "freebie" CDs, and I've finally found a use for them
I went to a wedding once (ok, the guy was in the film industry) and he used CD's as coasters on the table. Great idea!

It now seems as if AOL are blocking emails from other ISP's. For the last 2 days any email I have sent to anyone with an AOL address has been bounced back with the following message.

SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host mailin-01.mx.aol.com [205.188.159.57]: 554-:
(ISP:B2) AOL is not currently accepting email from your point of origin through your ISP. Please contact your ISP's TecGW\007@al SID=78940406ae41d4
554 TRANSACTION FAILED

Quite why I need to contact my ISP when this is clearly a problem at their end I dont know. So if you are on AOL and you are wondering why your inbox is so quite you now know, so please complain LOUDLY!

Paul

I've had a problem with trying to send instructions about breeding mealworms to a forum member who is with AOL. I was sending it as an attachment, but I've had another go now, this time putting it into the main body of the email.

I'll report back later on the success - or not!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back