• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Ranger Mk1 Bins... (1 Viewer)

There was a Model 576 SWIFT RANGER MK I produced in 1966 with fully coated optics. It was probably made by Tamron, although I don't have any catalog information on it. Those older large body models were quite heavy, and I would assume that one also has a fairly narrow FOV. Most models dating that far back also require cleaning and lubrication by a professional. (Modest cost.)

The best 10x50 would probably be the Model 826 Kestrel, sold until about 2000. But Swift-Pyser marketed excellent 10x50s in the 1980s. Try to find Mk II models with 5-element eyepieces.

Hope that helps.
Ed

Last edited:
I have 2 pairs of swift Newport Bins. A model 825 No 4 from 1967 with Quintar5 Lenses (whatever that means), FOV 376ft at 1000yds. Also a MkII from 1980 with FOV 420ft at 1000yds. Both are optically excellent but SO HEAVY. I would not wish to carry either around for too long. I prefer the older pair. Both were bought cheaply on e bay.

Hi Craig, I can't see your link but assume you mean the ones on that site we can't mention.
I have a pair of rangers, and they are inferior to the Newports in resolution. The seem to have inferior oculars and performance suffered.I would look elsewhere or wait for some Newport Mk1's or 2's. If your lucky you might find the Swift Supremes!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back