• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pett Levels Ponds Info please (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

My friends and I are considering a visit to Pett Level Ponds next Tuesday. We havent been there before but I have heard it is good for waders( and sea birds?)and you can get quite close.

Is it worth a visit at this time of year?

Any other info re parking facilities good spots etc would be much appreciated

Many thanks:t:

Hi Baron Birder

Pett Pools are fantastic. It's one of my regular spots. You can sit on the sea wall and view the pools inland and turn around a do a seawatch! Two fabulous habitats without having to do anything more then swivel around. It's always worth a visit. I was there about a week ago. Some of the highlights were the usual ducks and geese, dunlin, redshank, hundreds of lapwing, golden plover, curlew, marsh harrier, peregrine and barn owl. There is always the chance of more unusual waders. Check the RX website. Bearded tits, cettis are likely if not too windy. Offshore there is the usual scoter flock (big), passing brent geese usually. Gannets are likely. If you're lucky eider duck, and the regular auks.

A walk inland from Tout Rock to Pannel Valley is usually good. Hopefully Dunnockev will be along to say what's there now. I haven't been there for awhile.

Go for it...it's a great place but if it's a windy day it will be bitter cold this time of year so make sure you dress for it. Also check out the cliff area at Cliff End. You'll see it.

Parking etc??

Hi Baron Birder

Pett Pools are fantastic. It's one of my regular spots. You can sit on the sea wall and view the pools inland and turn around a do a seawatch! Two fabulous habitats without having to do anything more then swivel around. It's always worth a visit. I was there about a week ago. Some of the highlights were the usual ducks and geese, dunlin, redshank, hundreds of lapwing, golden plover, curlew, marsh harrier, peregrine and barn owl. There is always the chance of more unusual waders. Check the RX website. Bearded tits, cettis are likely if not too windy. Offshore there is the usual scoter flock (big), passing brent geese usually. Gannets are likely. If you're lucky eider duck, and the regular auks.

A walk inland from Tout Rock to Pannel Valley is usually good. Hopefully Dunnockev will be along to say what's there now. I haven't been there for awhile.

Go for it...it's a great place but if it's a windy day it will be bitter cold this time of year so make sure you dress for it. Also check out the cliff area at Cliff End. You'll see it.

Thanks for this. Is there a car park? What about local facilities toilets food etc?

Thanks for this. Is there a car park? What about local facilities toilets food etc?

You can park beside the road opposite the pools and then go up the steps or ramp to the sea wall. It's also worth looking further east too towards Winchelsea. There is some fencing and you can drive in a short way. Keep your eyes open for merlin here . There are public toilets in Pett Level village. (swallows nest in them but they're long gone) Park there and it's a short walk to the cliffs through the caravan park. Look for black redstart here but I don't think any have been reported this year. There is often a peregrine in the trees at the top of the cliff. Re food: there are a few pubs but I don't know how good they are in Pett Level village but there is a nice one in Pett Village which is more inland, look on a map. It's the Royal Oak or something Oak. I've been there a few times. Usually we bring sandwiches.

I hope you'll post what you see. Good luck.

You can park beside the road opposite the pools and then go up the steps or ramp to the sea wall. It's also worth looking further east too towards Winchelsea. There is some fencing and you can drive in a short way. Keep your eyes open for merlin here . There are public toilets in Pett Level village. (swallows nest in them but they're long gone) Park there and it's a short walk to the cliffs through the caravan park. Look for black redstart here but I don't think any have been reported this year. There is often a peregrine in the trees at the top of the cliff. Re food: there are a few pubs but I don't know how good they are in Pett Level village but there is a nice one in Pett Village which is more inland, look on a map. It's the Royal Oak or something Oak. I've been there a few times. Usually we bring sandwiches.

I hope you'll post what you see. Good luck.

Many thanks. All I have to do now is persuade the others in my group. They are suggesting Rye Harbour as its more familiar to them. Will certainly post what I see either way!B :)B :)

LOL. Rye is good too of course. When I go to Rye, we usually stop off at Pett on the way home.

Well some have agreed and a scouting party including myself will set out at 7am But having looked at my road map am not sure exactly where it is. Have found places such as Pett but no Pett Levels.

Any chance you could give me some directions. Will probably come down the A259 towards Rye and Winchelsea.

Many Thanks

Well some have agreed and a scouting party including myself will set out at 7am But having looked at my road map am not sure exactly where it is. Have found places such as Pett but no Pett Levels.

Any chance you could give me some directions. Will probably come down the A259 towards Rye and Winchelsea.

Many Thanks

Hi BB

Well, if you have found Pett on the map you are there. Pett Level village is on the coast and Pett village is a little inland. Pett Level is what you want for the pools. If your map is confusing go to the coast from Pett. Go East on the 259 (towards Winchelsea) and when you see the pools on the left that is the best place to stop; there are lay-bys there and usually a few birders around. Stop there. I usually find it best to look there before crossing the road and going up the steps. That is the sea wall and you have the best of both worlds from that point.....the sea and the levels. I can (and do) spend hours there.

If after doing that you want to go to Pannel Valley go back towards Pett Level village and you will see a lay-by with a ropey sign saying' Tout Rock'. Park there and follow the path....it's a trudge but will lead to the Pannel Valley reserve.....fabulous place.

Hi BB

Well, if you have found Pett on the map you are there. Pett Level village is on the coast and Pett village is a little inland. Pett Level is what you want for the pools. If your map is confusing go to the coast from Pett. Go East on the 259 (towards Winchelsea) and when you see the pools on the left that is the best place to stop; there are lay-bys there and usually a few birders around. Stop there. I usually find it best to look there before crossing the road and going up the steps. That is the sea wall and you have the best of both worlds from that point.....the sea and the levels. I can (and do) spend hours there.

If after doing that you want to go to Pannel Valley go back towards Pett Level village and you will see a lay-by with a ropey sign saying' Tout Rock'. Park there and follow the path....it's a trudge but will lead to the Pannel Valley reserve.....fabulous place.

Cheers
BB

Did you say you were going on Tuesday? There is a possibility I could be there. We usually wait until the day before, before deciding where to go birding and we often go on a Tuesday. I usually go with two friends so if you see three(sometimes there are only two of us) not too girlie female birders, introduce yourself.:t:

Last edited:
Went today

Did you say you were going on Tuesday? There is a possibility I could be there. We usually wait until the day before, before deciding where to go birding and we often go on a Tuesday. I usually go with two friends so if you see three(sometimes there are only two of us) not too girlie female birders, introduce yourself.:t:

We went to Pett Levels today 8.30am till 10ish.. Didnt see you there, and then onto Rye. Had a great day and have reported fully under Your Birding Day:t:

BB

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back