• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Birds, James Coe (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
This book has been out since 2001, but you do not see it much on shelves. Birds of North America, also by Golden Field Guides, is only a dollar more. I like this new one though, as it weighs 168g vs. 377g for the North America book

(discussed in http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=8983&highlight=small )

The Eastern birds book is similar in the artwork, though many birds are larger and more sharply drawn. Both in somewhat old fashioned drawing style. Typical Golden Guide style. It has some 300 to 400 birds, my guess. If you live on a seashore or in the mountains, this may not be ideal.

Mostly I like it for its clear style and compact size, so I can carry it at all times outdoors. A western edition is also to be published.

Not as good for beginners as Peterson First Guides Birds (188 species), but much better than the various back yard birds books.

What birds did they leave out? Lots of sea birds, some hard to find shore birds, a few flycatchers. But strangely, a Smooth Billed Ani is included!

8 points out of 10.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back