• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece angle decision (1 Viewer)

Dannyrtui

Don't you just hate it when this happens. Well, before I purchased my new scope, I noticed that reviews recommended the angled model was more appropriate for birding. I went into a shop and compared both types. Sure enough, the angled model sat lower on the tripod and 'seemed' to be more at ease to use. So I purchased it. But over the past week since I have been using it in the field, I've had regrets. I discovered that it is not as comfortable or as convenient to use as the straight-through version would have been! The notion of always having to bow one's head (like using a microscope), had become annoying. In reality, this meant that the lens tube is never in the observers true 'line of sight'. One example was when parked on the roadside opposite a migratory breeding ground after I had set the scope onto a window clamp adapter, I had to elongate my back and neck to see over into the eyepiece. Impromptu moments without using the tripod and having to rest the scope's foot on something else, meant bending my head over on to it and fighting the tendency to align the eyepiece back to my natural head-up level. Like-wise using my camera's table top tripod, also presented the same annoyance. Frankly, the one advantage I discovered using the angled scope, was if the subject happened to be somewhere at approximately a 45 degree angle above the viewer. So, with that revelation, my advice to would-be scope buyers is to get invited on a few field trips and experiment before parting with your loot! Ah, the priceless value of hindsight. I will be asking for exchange.

Dannyrtui said:
Don't you just hate it when this happens. Well, before I purchased my new scope, I noticed that reviews recommended the angled model was more appropriate for birding. I went into a shop and compared both types. Sure enough, the angled model sat lower on the tripod and 'seemed' to be more at ease to use. So I purchased it. But over the past week since I have been using it in the field, I've had regrets. I discovered that it is not as comfortable or as convenient to use as the straight-through version would have been! The notion of always having to bow one's head (like using a microscope), had become annoying. In reality, this meant that the lens tube is never in the observers true 'line of sight'. One example was when parked on the roadside opposite a migratory breeding ground after I had set the scope onto a window clamp adapter, I had to elongate my back and neck to see over into the eyepiece. Impromptu moments without using the tripod and having to rest the scope's foot on something else, meant bending my head over on to it and fighting the tendency to align the eyepiece back to my natural head-up level. Like-wise using my camera's table top tripod, also presented the same annoyance. Frankly, the one advantage I discovered using the angled scope, was if the subject happened to be somewhere at approximately a 45 degree angle above the viewer. So, with that revelation, my advice to would-be scope buyers is to get invited on a few field trips and experiment before parting with your loot! Ah, the priceless value of hindsight. I will be asking for exchange.

My sympathies to you.

I tend to agree with your assessment, and have a straight body scope myself, though the angled variety does tend to be the more favoured when looking at what is being used in ther field.

A list of pros and cons of each version is at: http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/ukrbfaq.htm#stra

I find a straight body more useful in a hide and would certainly be so in a car as you describe. Angled bodies are useful for group situations where peaple with a range of heights wish to look through the scope. Also useful for looking at flying raptors.

In seawatching situations I think I prefer the straight body. I'm sure I'd get neck crap looking through and angled bodied fro hours on end.

Couldn't agree more! Don't like angled scopes, hard to use in hides, hard to locate birds with etc. but I think ! am in the minority in the UK. There are lots of angled scopes and people usually have to pay more for them as well (perhaps thats why they buy them??).

good luck with swapping it for a 'proper' scope.

Nick

Personaly I strongly prefer angled scopes.

For me the advantage is large even then the object is at a small elevation like 10 degrees. Lower position also gives less vibrations and can be important then standing in a slope with the tripod lower then you.

I don't use the scope from inside the car as I prefer step out, but I guess the suitability for straight vs angled scopes also depend on the car model, i.e. height difference between window and seat.

For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of angled scopes also. For my use, I'm usually birding with a small group and the flexibility of height setting is a real advantage. As you mentioned, it's also a big advantage when looking up.

I've never tried using a scope in a car but can picture that problem. Could you try mounting it as far towards the front of the car on the window support and then rotate the scope 90 degrees in its tripod collar? This would give an eye level view looking slightly forward at about 45 degrees from your seat. Seems that would be even more comfortable that trying to turn 90 degrees in your seat to look out.

The last point is in support of your personal preferences. Whatever works best for you is the ONLY thing that is important. If you've tried the angled and don't like it, YES, do change it out. No sense in using something that you're not enjoying. Your suggestion to others to try a scope in the field before buying is the BEST advice anyone can give.

Last edited:
I sure agree, as well, that this angled scope fashion is not the "natural" way to use a scope. It is fine for tall people, but even the point that it is better for a group is not valid. The scope is often too high up for a smaller person, or else, it is uncomfortably low for the tall ones. But mankind does not change, the easiest way to go is still to follow the crowd.

But now that you already have that angled scope, why not give yourself a few more days. It seems that one can get accustomed to its use.

I'd be inclined to give it a few more days too. Once you have got your 'eye-in' at locating birds, I find the angled scope extremely fast to use. I definitely find it more useful for people of different height to use. In addition for digiscoping I think the angled version is better for supporting the camera.

Hie use is the only time to me it is less useful, when space is a premium. I still manage to use it with ahide clamp though more often have to stand/stoop - alternatively the scope rotates on a bracket and can be used side on.

I use an angled scope because I prefer it, not because it is more costly or because I've followed the crowd. Both types have advantages.If most of your birdwatching is done in a hide or car then a straight scope has the advantage. I do a fair amount of seawatching when its often windy. Also tracking birds in flight or in the top of trees is very difficult with a straight scope.

Last edited:
For Raptor watching an angled scope is much easier to use,especially for all day watches when I can sit down & still be able to use the scope.For digiscoping it has the advantage of being able to not have to fully extend the tripod therefore making everything less susceptible to vibration from wind.
Regards Steve.

This has had a Very Good Airing in a recent thread, too. I'm with Graham on this, and would add that if you ever during your biridng lifetime come down with neck / vertebrae / disc trouble, you will be a spleased as Punch with your choice of angled scope. And to suggest that people buy these things for any reason other than personal comfort is either a joke or plain daft!

Thinking back to my days of window shopping for a scope. I remembered coming across a brand that had a zoom eyepiece that could be changed from a straight-through view and adjusted up to a ninety degree angle. Unfortunately it did not have a sealed lens body and I can't even remember what the brand name was. As I went over my thoughts for the week and did a summary of all the viewing positions, angles and locations where I used the new scope. It worked out that there was only about 10 percent of the viewpoints from where the angled eyepiece would have been in it's element. This was one outcome was what helped me settle my decision into changing to the straight-through viewing model. Besides, subjects to view on the wing would be catered for by my brilliant 10x42 binocular (which I still seem to use as well as the scope). My previous contribution to the Forum was a guidance for others, and a summary about my enlightenment on what eventually worked out for me. As the assistant in shop said after I took the scope back for an exchange. "You've paid good money for this. If it needs to be changed to make you happy, then that is all that matters".
Thank you all for your viewpoints.

Glad you are now pleased with your scope.I also remember the scope that had two eyepices that rotated,it was never very popular over here.Unfortunately there is no such thing as the ideal scope, some prefer Straight through others angled.

Being 6 foot 2'', I prefer the angled eyepiece. Having used it for many years, I find it easy to use, and find the bird. The main reason for my preference is that I often need to locate birds high up, with a straight eyepiece I need to really bend over to do this, even with a very tall tripod.

Hi Hanno

Good to hear from you again - how is the bird flu issue these days. You were very concerned a few weeks ago?

Hi Steve,

Well, they have erradicated most poultry. However, a lot of people hid their fighting cocks. They are very expensive (USD 200+), and the governemnt only pays about 30 cents compensation per animal. Thank God they have so far decided not to kill any wild birds. However, the good birding spots are still off limits, so I am doing virtually no birding these days. The government estimates that it will take another 4 months before they get the situation under control. (Am I way off topic here, or what?)

Yep - you/we are. Anyway - good to hear things seem to be stabilising. Just think how much fun it will be to get back eventually to watching those swamps and paady fields (or wherever the birds congregate - I've never been nearer to you than Thailand)!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back