• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia in the New Year (1 Viewer)

Lichfield Birder

...should've been here 5 minutes ago, mate....
Going to The Gambia in the New Year for 2 weeks with family and will probably have 2 free days for birding. What two sites can anyone recommend to make the most of it. Will I be able to hire a car or is it best to get a taxi and pay for them to wait etc. Any help and advice appreciated.

Alan.
You will need to hire a guide [if only to keep the bumsters away].
They are quite cheap, last Christmas I paid Modou Colley about £35 for a day trip 7.45 - 3.00 he provided the transport and took me to the bush track and the shrimp farm, fantastic day out.
Another guide I used was Ya Ya Jallow, who took me to The rice fields and Abuko reserve. again transport was provided and it was a superb day.
I too was on a family holiday and this was my quota for birdwatching excursions, there are loads of other good places which are well documented on this forum. Wherever you go will probably be good.
I'm not sure I would hire a car though.
Enjoy!!!
Mike.

Alan,
I would echo Mike's advice.

Car hire is a non-starter & whilst taxis are cheap & would seem a good option you will get the daylights hounded out of you if you go out birding alone. It is better to pay for a recognised birding guide to take you out.

If staying in a Kololi hotel (Kairaba, Senegambia) then the hotel gardens will provide excellent birding most mornings.
If staying at Kotu then walk to the Kotu bridge & hire a birding guide there for one of your days.
Spending a day at Kotu (the creek & the cycle track) which includes a visit to the golf course & Kotu ponds (the sewage works) will give a very good range of birds.

Hiring Modou Colley for a day trip to Pirang (Shrimp farm) & the Faraba Bush track would be an excellent move. This area has the potential for some excellent birding if accompanied by a good guide. Pirang holds an elusive pair of Black Crowned Cranes which are not always reliable but the site holds a wealth of other waterbirds, raptors & small passerines. If you go try to ensure you enter the shrimp farm (which is currently not operational) -the gate is locked but can be easily negotiated. You may have to walk for 20 mins in baking heat to reach the back pools but it will be worth it -expect 2 species of Pelican, Gt Flamingoes, Yellow-billed Stork, African Spoonbills, Great/Intermediate/Little/Black Egrets, Western Reef Heron, Striated Heron, White-faced Whistling Ducks, Pied & Malachite Kingfishers, various waders, Quailfinch, Bishops, etc.

Faraba Bush Track is excellent for raptors including Brown, Beaudouin's & occasionally Western Banded Snake Eagles as well as Long Crested, Wahlberg's & occasionally Martial Eagle. Other birds should include 3 Roller species, lots of passerines and possibly Sandgrouse at dusk.

To give an idea of what to expect all the following images were taken at Pirang or Faraba.

Please let me know if you need any other info or want to contact Modou (his website is: http://www.gambianbirds.com/ )

Attachments

• Pirang1.jpg
    Pirang1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Pirang2.jpg
    Pirang2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 78
  • Pirang 3.jpg
    Pirang 3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Faraba 1.jpg
    Faraba 1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Faraba 2.jpg
    Faraba 2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for the advice. How do i get in touch with Modou Colley or Ya Ya Jallow? Do I need to pre-arrange in UK or can I do it when I get there.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back