• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any particular sights worth a visit? (1 Viewer)

jimmyjames

Hi,

I'm heading to Israel later this month, staying for a month or three and have realised that I don't know anything about where to bird.

I won't have a vehicle but I will be travelling around the North and Central areas and probably visiting a little of the South also.

I've heard the Hula Valley is good though apart from knowing that it's in the Golan I don't know how to get there.

Are there any websites detailing areas that are worth a look?

Thanks

James

Will you be staying in one place in particular?

There are two books for birding locations (Birding hot-spots in S. Israel, Birding hot-spots in N. Israel) which are very helpful, although some areas have changed a lot. If you cannot find them yourself, I could lend them to you. I was in Israel in November (see vacational trip reports).

The central areas are not covered by these books, but can be interesting too.
Israel has a good bus system, which should get you to Hula and other areas, even far-flung places in the southern deserts. The country is quite long, so it all takes time, and you cannot travel at all on the Sabbath (except with taxis). I rented a car though...

Try this forum http://www.israbirding.com/israelbirdsforum/forum.php too: if you are going to stay somewhere for a while you might find a local birder.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back