• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how does Minox compare to Swarovski (1 Viewer)

swede

Just wondering, as I am strongly considering some Minox HG 8x33 BR ASPH from Cameralandny, or saving up a little more (about $300 more) for some NEU SLC 8 x 30's. I am looking at this size for a smaller bino that I can carry while in the woods and during archery season, so I am hoping that these can work fairly well in the closing hours. Just looking for some real opinions from someone that has spent time around both. I have looked through each seperately in the store, but that doesnt always tell the real story. How much of the pricing is reputation, and how do they actually compare?

swede,

For me there is no way in the world I'd spend the extra money for a Swarovski when there are less expensive options such as the Minox HG 8x33 or the Meopta 8x32. But that's just me. The Swarovski are great glass and the best way for you to go at this is to see if you can find a way to look at them for yourself. At that level when you look one that seems to be the best, then that's the one to get.

For archery season, you might want to hold off untill after the SHOT show and give the new Vortex Viper 6x32 a look. Also for for close in work the Leupold 6x32 Katmi is neat too.

Last edited:
I would guess the closest binoculars to the Minox is Pentax SP ED versions. Not quite sure of the Swaro connection, comparison. Swaros tend to be bulkier and pretty solid. It has been a long time since I looked through a pair. The SLC 8x30 certainly is as good as the best of the lesser known brands and the Pentaxes etc. But there are perhaps ergonomic issues. Holding it, focus knob location etc.

And ED, HG etc glass does not guarantee sharpness. If you are set 0n 8x30 or 8x32 as the best for you, I think you will be happy with them.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/swarovski-8x30wb-slc.html

Last edited:
I'd highly recommend you tell Doug your dilemma and maybe he'll let you try both and keep the one you want. Or at least provide a direct comparison. Those are models that even here in metropolitan so cal would be hard to find a brick and mortar were you could compare both at the same time. Best of luck.

Last edited:
I had an older Swarovski 8X30 SLC (new around 1997 IIRC) and bought the 8X33 Minox HG demo from Doug at Cameraland for my wife. I fully intended to keep the SLC and we'd both have a comparable birding glass.

The view was remarkably similar but the color rendition of the Minox is much more neutral than the older SLC which had a slight yellowish tint. The only place the Swarovski was better was a slightly better depth of field. The Minox just seems to require focusing a bit more.

With several other binoculars in the house, we decided to sell one and it was the Swarovski that went down the road. I compared the older SLC to my brother in law's SLC Neu and the newer model had a color rendition that was much more neutral. My conclusion is that the Minox suffers in comparison only in the depth of field and gives up little if anything in terms of resolution.

Curiously the Swarovski 8x30 SLC is cheaper to buy than the Minox HG 8x33 from one source in the UK....I'd quite happily swing it for the Swaro over the Minox if guided by price alone, seeing as the Swaro is highly rated and would probably hold it's value better than the Minox.

Personally I'd prefer the 8.5x42 or 7x42 due to enhanced depth of focus, brightness, ease of eye placement etc!!

Enjoy whatever you get, it's all good stuff!!

Matt

I went looking for a new set and found that there seemed to be variations in the Swaro bins. At one show I found that they were more comfortable then the Nikons, at another show 4 months later I found that the Nikons were the more comfortable.

I could only put this down to small variations in build. Please note that this was just how comfortable I was looking through them. But at the end of the day that is what they are for - to look through.

At a show last August I tried the Minox's out and I was very impressed. They were (subjectively) better then the Swaro's and the Nikons, and very easy to look through. Think it was the fact that the Swaro's, and Nikon's, were sharp but had little depth of field, the Minox's were as sharp (possibly better) and had a greater depth of field.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back