• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in July or August? (1 Viewer)

featherbrain1223

Hi,

I have been told that birding in SE AZ is best overall in July or August. My question is which of those two months is best on average? This will be my first birding trip to AZ ever, so I'm wanting the best time overall. Which week would any of you locals recommend?

Thanks so much!

First off, must ask Southern or Northern Arizona? I can only speak for the southern part. If you're coming in that time frame I would say August. If we have a good rainy season many places will be hard to reach in July. The 2nd or 3rd week of August usually has great hummingbird numbers, and others migrating through.
If you can come during the spring there is a lot to see in late April or early May. The spring is nice because we still have great numbers but the heat is not to high.

Sorry, I should have specified, it would be south east AZ. Will all of the specialty warblers still be around for the 2nd week of august? Thanks

It actually looks like they are just starting. I've dug this info up:
July. By mid-month violent afternoon “monsoon” thunderstorms usually break the extreme heat. Humidity rises and Botteri’s and Cassin’s sparrows start singing. Five-striped Sparrows are singing in California Gulch. A Brown Pelican may wander north from the Gulf of California, joining growing numbers of migrant shorebirds. Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks nest in Nogales area ponds including Kino Springs, Palo Duro Creek golf course and
Rio Rico ponds. Calliope and Lucifer hummingbirds are most likely at Huachuca Mountain canyon feeders. Plain-capped Starthroat is unlikely but possible at canyon feeders. Watch out for lightning and flash flooding from storms.

August is another great birding month. Summer monsoons continue as migration picks up and diversity peaks. This is the top month for “Big Days.” Numbers of most of the breeding specialties are peaking. Scour the mountain canyons for a casual Aztec Thrush. Hone your hummer skills – diversity and density peak. Shorebirds and swallows swarm at ponds.
By month’s end migrant warblers are common. Bunting flocks (mostly Lazuli) work sunflower patches and weeds in open areas. Townsend’s and Hermit warblers grace the mountains. Five-striped Sparrows continue to sing.

The following is according to the Tucson Audobon's society book "Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona" the following

Olive all of August and September (summer resident in conifer woodland)
Orange-crowned mid to late August
Virginia's early to mid August
Lucy's mid to late August
Yellow all of August
Yellow-rumped
(Audubon's) Resident year round
Townsend's all of August
Hermit all of August
Grace's all of August
MacGillivray's mid August through September
Red-faced Summer resident thru end of August
Painted Redstart all of August
Yellow-breasted
Chat summer resident

Hope this helps. The book actually states that most records come from May-June and September - November for Wood-Warblers.

Lisa

Last edited:
featherbrain, I am a relative novice to this area - I have only been to the chirichauas (forgive spelling) a few times last year between july and october. Owls notably elf and whiskered screech I found v.difficult after mid august (easy at select locations in july). (pygmy still calling in oct).

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back