• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First light on the Vortex Viper 6x32 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

Calm down. I don't have a pair ;)

But koshkin apparently does

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2796068#Post2796068

koshkin said:
Redeye171 said:
koshkin said:
I just received the 6x32 Viper from Vortex. It looks very nice, but I have not played much with it yet.

ILya

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what do ya think?

I have not exactly spent much time with them. So far they look good. Probably the best 6x binocular on the market that I am aware of.

ILya

So that's something.

He reviews on opticstalk too so you might see a write up there.

Nice catch Kevin. Though it is probably too early to say it I do believe we will see a bit of a 6x trend continuing. The Yosemite, Minox and Fury definitely started something with their unique blend of optical attributes. With the additional of ED glass in the design I would be willing to bet that those little Vipers sure are something.

Nice catch Kevin. Though it is probably too early to say it I do believe we will see a bit of a 6x trend continuing. The Yosemite, Minox and Fury definitely started something with their unique blend of optical attributes. With the additional of ED glass in the design I would be willing to bet that those little Vipers sure are something.

I'm never sure what is in those Viper's objectives.

Does the glass have an Abbe number greater than 90? I.e. is it really ED glass (which actually means something).

Or is this just marketing and attaching a meaningless pair of letters to the objective glass? HD? XD?

For example, the (soon to appear) Bushnell Legend Ultra-HD uses the silly HD term in the product name but in the PR they explicitly mention ED glass.

I'd like to know. If it is ED glass I'd expect the Vipers to match the "Chinese EDs" and from published reports that doesn't seem to be the case (though I've never used on so I don't have first hand experience here).

Time for Steve C to call Vortex again ;)

Last edited:
I'm never sure what is in those Viper's objectives.

I'd like to know. If it is ED glass I'd expect the Vipers to match the "Chinese EDs" and from published reports that doesn't seem to be the case (though I've never used on so I don't have first hand experience here).

Time for Steve C to call Vortex again ;)

The Viper has always advertised XD (whatever that means) in the objective of the Viper. What they said when I last talked to them was there wasn't a change in glass or design in the 32mm Viper. The Vipers I've had were good binoculars but not up to the chinese ED's.

I saw Koshkin's comments too, so when he posts something, we may have a better idea. I sort of expect them to be like the 7x36 Eaglet.

The Vipers I've had were good binoculars but not up to the chinese ED's.

Where are the Vipers made?

added:
Ah... I see in an older post that Vortex states the Vipers are made in Japan.

I'm curious what people will have to say about these. A high quality 6x32 roof sounds very interesting...

Last edited:
I would assume that it is entirely possible for a roof prism binocular to utilize ED glass in the objective but then have CA introduced in some other part of the optical design....eyepiece design most likely. I would "guess" that this is the reason that I noticed CA more readily in the Viper in comparison to the Razor.

However, with the lower magnification of the 6x Viper I would expect it to be more readily controlled. If they decide to eventually come out with a 6x32 Razor then I will most certainly be one of the first in line to get my hands on one.

I never get very good info on news from the Vortex web site. When are other models coming out?

Camera Land is now taking orders on the new Diamondbacks. They are scheduled to be out by Spring. (This year, I think they mean!;))

I put in an order for one of the 9 x 36's they are getting; just in case there is a rush on them! Get your order in now! Maybe we'll corner the market!:-O

Bob

Last edited:
Camera Land is now taking orders on the new Diamondbacks. They are scheduled to be out by Spring. (This year, I think they mean!;))

I put in an order for one of the 9 x 36's they are getting; just in case there is a rush on them! Get your order in now! Maybe we'll corner the market!:-O

Bob

Good idea Bob. The 9x36s will be right after the 7x36s...flying off the shelves.

:)

FWIW, I look forward to seeing the comments on both configurations and I am glad to see that at least one company took some of the requests from this forum to heart.

I have never preordered anything. I have bought several CDs on their release date. I went and bought a Dylan CD on 9-11 in the Bush era. I think I only played it a month afterward.

My shopping is stuck in bino bucks, so mostly I send a postal money order. Without these ear marks I would never save up even 400.

I have never preordered anything. I have bought several CDs on their release date. I went and bought a Dylan CD on 9-11 in the Bush era. I think I only played it a month afterward.

My shopping is stuck in bino bucks, so mostly I send a postal money order. Without these ear marks I would never save up even 400.

Actually Tero, "pre-order" is probably the wrong word. "Reserved" is more accurate. They will notify me when they come in and then we will initiate the sale process. I didn't have to leave a CC#.
Bob

The Diamondback and Raptors should be ready April 1st. This according to a dealer I talked to at the Sportsman's show.

Yeah, and I should be able to scrape together some money for the Raptors. I am already dusting off a spot in my porro display case....

;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back