• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In Search of Details - Kapiti, Miranda, Murawai (1 Viewer)

KHamblett

Hi,

I'm planning my trip to NZ and have some questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with:

Kapiti Island: the brochure indicates that visitors have a choice of Rangatira or north end : north end accepts only 18 people a day. What would provide a better - or, more productive birding experience?

Miranda: It's been clearly noted that it is not accessible by public transportation. I'll be using public transportation since it's not a good idea for me, from the States, to drive solo in a foreign country looking for birds and other sights. I think the NZers will appreciate that. Anyone have some ideas of how I can manage to get there from Auckland? Does anyone know of a day tour to Miranda that starts in Auckland?

Murawai - is this noted just for the breeding Australian gannets? Do you think this is worth a visit end of March, early April?

Thanks....

Hi K,
a couple of things
if you're going to kapiti for the day you should probably go to the central part of the island which has better forest and more birds, lots of saddlebacks, stitchbirds high up on the ridge, and a (very?) slim chance of kokako.
I went to kapiti in 2007 and actually visited rangatira on day one, stayed overnight at the north end (quite expensive but good) and visited the north end the next day but the really big advantage of doing this is that you get a free guided walk to see little-spotted kiwi. I was the only visitor when i was there and this experience was brilliant, we also saw morepork and little penguin.
but as i say, if you're visiting just for the day, the central part is better

secondly, i can understand your concern, but driving in NZ is *really* easy away from the big cities, i would consider it personally

hope that helps!

James

Hi, James

Thanks for the info - sorry, I have more questions : did you stay at the Kapiti Nature Lodge and Kapiti Island Alive? If you had stayed overnight first - would you have gone to Rangatira as well?

Since I'm just planning and budgeting time and money right now, I'm trying to figure out the best birding opportunities for my time and money. I can stay overnight and go two days, but is it worth it, I guess is what I'm trying to ask.

I've driven around the Brighton and Worthing areas - but I wasn't birding or sightseeing! Maybe I'll change my mind when I get there, but would need someone to drive the car to the edge of town for me...

Thanks,
Karen

Muriwai is a nice spot but if there aren't gannets breeding I don't think you would see anything there that you wouldn't get anywhere else. If you're looking for somewhere near Auckland that you can do by bus then Wenderholm Regional Park is a good bet.

Although Miranda is a very good place for shorebirds, it's quite possible to see everything you get there somewhere else. You could probably pick up quite a few waders nearer to Auckland for instance.

Hi Karen,
I think i stayed with kapiti island alive - can check details if you would like.

i'm glad i went to rangatira as the birds there are better than at the north end. It's not really worthwhile staying overnight just to visit both parts, but it is worth staying for the kiwis!

If you don't want to spend two full days you could probably either leave the island on the first boat on the second day (this way you can visit rangatira on day 1), or travel across on the last boat on day 1 (i'm not sure whether you would be able to visit rangatira if you did it this way as the boats tend to go in a triangle from the mainland to rangatira then the north end, and back to the mainland but it might be worth asking).

re: driving, NZ is a lot easier than SE england believe me, also, no disrespect to the NZ avifauna but after the first few mins you won't be doing much birding from the car - expect a steady diet of masked lapwings, australiasian harriers and paradise shelduck!

i'm sure you could get a car hire company to give you a lift out of town (auckland is the most difficult driving) - the (human) kiwis tend to be laid-back accommodating people!

cheers

James

I drove on my own with no problems in NZ, the traffic is very light outside the cities. Indeed the only place I would class as busy was Auckland and maybe Wellington. South Island is particularly quiet.Not wishing to put you off but if you do drive don't leave any valuables in the car at Miranda, had mine broken into there, fortunately they didn't get into the boot!

Phil

Hi Karen

as always depends on what you want to see and how much time you have. Kiwis very friendly so get in touch with some: this is the local bird society.

http://www.osnz.org.nz/contacts.htm

email the regional reps they're very helpful. I would recommend Tiritiri Matangi island north of Auckland if you want to see lots of endemic New Zealand birds, easy to get to, but you must book in advance to stay overnight to see Little spot kiwis, and its a great experience anyway

http://www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz/

hope this helps. Any other info you want just ask.

cheers

George (expat Kiwi)

Hi,

Thanks for the valuable information. I probably won't stay over Kapiti - but rather try to visit twice to do both areas.

And, thanks, George for the links with contacts. Tiritiri Matangi is certainly on my list, and I'm going to arrange to be in Auckland during the days the boat makes a run over there.

Is anyone familiar with Pterodroma Pelagics, which does birding trips from Auckland around the Hauraki Gulf? Seems that during the time I'll be in NZ, it is running only one tour a month - and I'd need to arrange to be in Auckland those days. Is this a MUST for a birder? and, is there a similar tour company that runs pelagic bird tours out of Auckland?

Also, Pureora Forest Park is a big park with lots of trails. Has anyone birded there? What are the suggested trails for birding?

Thanks for the help.

Karen

Hi,

Thanks for the valuable information. I probably won't stay over Kapiti - but rather try to visit twice to do both areas.

And, thanks, George for the links with contacts. Tiritiri Matangi is certainly on my list, and I'm going to arrange to be in Auckland during the days the boat makes a run over there.

Is anyone familiar with Pterodroma Pelagics, which does birding trips from Auckland around the Hauraki Gulf? Seems that during the time I'll be in NZ, it is running only one tour a month - and I'd need to arrange to be in Auckland those days. Is this a MUST for a birder? and, is there a similar tour company that runs pelagic bird tours out of Auckland?

Also, Pureora Forest Park is a big park with lots of trails. Has anyone birded there? What are the suggested trails for birding?

Thanks for the help.

Karen

I went on a Hauraki Gulf pelagic with Pterodroma and it was excellent - a real highlight. You'll see a lot of birds that you might struggle to get otherwise. I think Wrybill tours also do some pelagics there, but not as often as Pterodroma. The other option would be to go on one of the longer ferry journeys e.g. to Great Barrier or Coromandel. You could pick up a few seabirds doing that, but not as many as on a pelagic.

Pureora Forest was ok - we had 'proper' Kokakos along Plains Road towards the Buried Forest. There's a fairly sharp lefthand bend where you can park and they're seen here. Obviously they're alot easier on Tiritiri!! Re the driving - you'll really find it alot easier getting to some of these sites under your own steam and the driving is not a problem at all - even Auckland isn't that hard to navigate - just beware the oddball left-turning rule (if you're turning off the main road left and someone approaching you is turning right into the same road then you have to give way...??!!)
Pterodroma Pelagics is a real must, expensive admittedly, but is the only real chance of seeing the NZ Stormie. It's a long day but you'll see alot of species (including having lunch under a gannetry) and there's a handy campsite right next to the quay.
Try and stay on Tiritiri and you'll find LS Kiwi pretty easily

re: pureora, the canopy tower and the short trail leading to it have quite a decent range of bush birds but it can be quite slow going, be prepared to stand around and wait a lot!!
you should get good views of kaka, tomtit, robin, grey warbler, whitehead, tui, bellbird etc. etc. and if you're lucky the yellow-crowned parakeets that fly around the area might actually land where you can see them!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back