• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Fieldscope ED 82A - Coolpix 4500 (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

Hi, we need some Adaptor advice please.

Q.
Which is the best one to allow us to couple together the Nikon Fieldscope ED 82A with the Nikon Coolpix 4500 ?

Please pardon our ignorance if the answer is an obvious one, but the ammount of information we've been listening to lately is too much for beginners to take on board !!
Best to get it here in Print i think ?

Q.
Also where is the best/easiest place to purchase it/them from ?

Thank you in anticipation of your informed replies.
StevieEvans.

Many of the usual adapters don't fit too well on the Nikon eyepieces, fortunately Nikon's own adapters are pretty good...though I'm not sure if they work with zoom eyepieces.

I believe Warehouse Express sell the Nikon adapter kits.
Best regards,
Andy

Stevie,
Not sure which bits of kit you are going to buy but I seem to remember that in Birdwatching magazine there is an advert for the Nikon 82 plus a fixed lens (32x or thereabouts) the 4500 Coolpix and an adaptor for about £1280. Think it was the Ace Optics addy but don't have the mag available to me. Guess its useless info if you only want the adaptor.

The Nikon adapter is superbly made - all the quality of a photo lens (withoput the glass!). It fits both zoom and wide, but the zoom has to be set first, sadly. You will need to use the camera zoom to get rid of vignetting, but both 30xW and zoom allow a full image in the viewfinder.

I use 3 sec. delayed shutter release at present until I can get hold of a remote release. You'll also really need a really solid tripod and a fluid damped head.

The results seem excellent.

thanks

Thanks for the help you 3,

Ive just been flicking through "The essential guide to Digiscoping" it would appear that Nikon offer 2 attatchments to enable coupling of Nikon/Nikon products, aswell as a third designed as a universal adapter for other brands of scopes. Also Nikon has a Universal Bracket, but what that does, i dont know.

I still dont know which one to purchase (or why) ?

We've looked at some magazine prices for Nikon adapters, and have seen 'them' for sale for £69.99 & £259.99. But dont know which particular items these prices reffered to?

We've visited 3 optical dealers & phoned a couple more, but i'm still not 100% sure about What We Need....

More info please....?

QuiteStressed.

StevieEvans said:
I still dont know which one to purchase...
It took me a time to do the obvious and ask on this forum and then phone Nikon UK - and I soon found out what I needed. Goodness knows why I relied on the Internet instead of doing that - it only led only to utter frustration, confusion and a wasting of time. Nikon proved to be very knowledgeable and helpful, as indeed were the kind folk on this forum.

You will need to buy two separate items:

1) An adapter-ring that fits on your Coolpix 28mm lens filter thread (the F/S-CP9xx)

2) An adapter that connect the scope's eyepiece to the camera adapter ring (this consists of three items: FSA1 + FSA2 + FSA3 - but it comes as a single unit).

The combined cost is about £90-00 and, well worth it (all things being relative!) for the excellence of design and absolute ease of use. You can see in the photo below what you will be buying.

As you have found, Nikon also manufacture an adapter that allows the whole camera to be swung clear of the scope. This is the £250-00 one you mention. It is a fine piece of kit if rather bulky and costly - it does allow much easier viewing through the scope, however before shooting, With the ordinary adapter you must rely on the CP4500 LCD screen to view and focus (although you can buy a 2x enlarger for this - I'm looking into this now).

Attachments

• Nikon-Adapter.jpg
    Nikon-Adapter.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back