• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Netherlands in May ? (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Thinking of a trip to the Netherlands in May .... seems good with cheap flights from Norwich & ferries from Harwich, good chilled out cycling country that's quite a bit like Norfolk by the looks of it (ie. no hills !!)

.... but i can't find much about dutch birding at that (or any other) time of year.

So whats the birding like in May ? ...... Anyone with any experience of good sites ? ... cheap + cheerful accomodation ? ... or anything else ... ?

Thanks in advance

I've been in Holland in June. It's a very good country for birds so I'm sure you'll see plenty. I've only really been birding around the north of the country though. I think in general Holland has similar habitats and birds to East Anglia only with a several good extras (e.g. Icterine Warbler, Black Woodpecker, Crested Tit, Short-toed Treecreepe, various Herons)and with some species being much commoner (e.g. Black-tailed Godwits, Garganey, Black Tern, Spoonbill, Goshawk, Honey Buzzard, Marsh Warbler, Golden Oriole etc.). Lauwersmeer in the north is a good area for wetland species (although not that easy to work) and I did a lot of birding at a large bog called the Fochteloerveen near Assen, which was excellent for raptors and had breeding Black-necked Grebes. Other good areas that I know of are the Oestvardersplassen (sp?) in Flevoland (a reclaimed polder) and the Hogue Veluwe (sp?) in central Holland, which is good for forest and heathland species. There's plenty to see in a relatively small area so I don't reckon you'll get bored.

Holland is a great place to go birding as Andrew says, like East Anglia on steroids. As it's such a small country, it's easy to get around and there are some excellent sites such as Oostvaardersplassen just 45 minutes from Amsterdam. I visited the island of Texel (famous migration hot spot) at a quiet time of the year (July) but it was delightful. There are also load of birders around (must be second only to the UK in that respect) and so it's easy to get local advice. There should be plenty of info on the net, tried Fat Birder? or how about this http://www.free-living.com/where to watch/hollandwtwb.htm

E

Last edited:
Yeah ..... thanks, that was the kick start I needed, found some good stuff following those leads.

Does look rather promising ....

''East Anglia on steroids'' ... Edward ... lol

Holland is great ofcourse :D
I will hand you some info tomorrow since i am in prague right now. Back home tomorrow.

As i see, most info above here is indeed good, depends on what you want to see. In Drenthe there are some good places to go birding, it's in the north of holland. From there it is also easy to get to Lauwersmeer, where there are many good places for diff migrants. Oostvaardersplassen is good as well indeed. Ofcourse the Veluwe provides good spots on forestbirds (in Gelderland, centre of holland)
If you know where you are going just let me know!

Thanks for those replies.

Finally found a relevant book in the library today (Where to watch Birds in Holland, Belgium & Northern France ... ISBN 0600579778) .... and think probably a day or two around Oostvaardersplassen and maybe also Gouwzee as it's close to Amsterdam where I'll be flying to / from.

Hoge Veluwe and Ooijpolder ... anyone been there ? .. both look good as well (particularly as i also want to visit Arnhem ... & the cycle museum in Nijmegen is an absolute must)

Again, thanks for the replies but also I'll be quite happy to give thought to any more .....

I live about 15 miles from the Hoge Veluwe, and i must say i have never really been birdwatching there :S
It is an awesome area though!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back