• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

France, Brittany, Morbihan - information required (1 Viewer)

hjvandijk

Hello,

In the first week of apil I go to Brittany, close to Vannes (department Morbihan). Has anyone some information for goods species/spots over there?

For instance: Where can I find Dartford Warbler??

greatings,
Hendrik Jan

Hi,

Where exactly will you be staying ? I can give you some information about what can be seen south of Vannes in the Loire-Atlantique region. The avifauna of France starts to change somewhat once you get south to the Loire valley where the climate is a little bit warmer. There are several very good sites such as the saltpans around Guerande, the Briere National Park, Marais Audubon, Lac de Grand Lieu, Foret du Gavre, etc. Do you have a list of target species ?

Eugene

Hello Eugene,

I'll stay about 10 kms west from Vannes, so Grand Lieu is mayby a little bit to far, but the rest seems to be okay.

I travel with family, so I don't have a wishlist/high expectations so far. I would be pleased to here what the right spots are on the places you mentioned! They seem to be very big on the map.....

Also if you know nice spot at Quiberon/central Morbihan let me know (but i'll guess that less interresting then Loire region?)

Can you recommend visiting Houat or Hoedic?

Greatings.

ps: Dartford would be nice, mayby an American Vagrant (red something about Ringbilled Gull and Greenwinged Teal bij other birders...)

American Vagrants ? Mmmm. . . .very little chance in April I suspect but you can always be surprised ! We've had Stilt Sand, a few White-rumped and a long-staying Long-billed Dowitcher (at Trevaly near Guerande and still around last week).

There was a Ring-billed Gull at Penestin and this area (from Pt. Du Halguen to La Mine d'Or) also holds several pairs of Dartford Warbler in patches of low scrub along the coastal path. It's a busy area in summer and the birds require some patience, often heard first before being seen..

The Foret du Gavre is superb - Honey Buzzard, woodpeckers (Green, Black, Great, Middle and Lesser Spotted), Tree Pipit, Nightjar, Dartford and Melodious Warbler, maybe Hawfinch and Golden Oriole. Worth a full day to explore the different areas / habitats within the forest itself.

Briere - superb again: a half-day at least for Whiskered Tern, Black-winged Stilt, Purple Heron, Savi's, Bluethroat.

Guerande - could be combined with Brier to make a full day or a day on it's own again. Saltpans with breeding waders, stilts, etc. Coast nearby could produce a good migrant in April, particularly at La Croisic.

Stuff can pass through quickly in April so if you fortunate with the weather you could do well . . . . . Good luck !

Sorry I can't really help with areas closer to Vannes but at least the above are within 100km.

I've seen Hoedic and Houat from a boat only though I did spend a few hours on Belle Isle (which is BIG with plenty of cover for migrants). Nice place but I don't remember seeing special there that I wouldn't expect on the mainland.

Eugene

PS: let us all know how you get on.

Hello again,

Thanks a lot! I think this is more then enough for one week.

The coastal region looks very interresting on google maps. Lot of little rivers, creeks, marshes and beaches. (since we dutch made levee's/dike's floodbank everywhere with only freshwater lakes...)

Mayby I also try This Spot one time.

Can I find sightings of the Dowitcher somewhere, and check out the status by the end of March? (long time ago we had one wintering until May)

greatings, HJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back