• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a safe setup? (1 Viewer)

Stuart R

Hi

I use a 234RC head on a 680B Monopod and this has been fine with my D300 and a Tamron 200-500. However, just aquired a Sigma 500 which is a bigger beast altogether and a little worried that this needs a bigger head to support. At some point soon I hope to get a Wimberley gimbel head or similiar to use with the S500 and it would be nice to have the same base plate on the S500 such that it could be used with both. Is this possible?

Thanks

Stuart R

(Sorry, just seen the entry of a similiar nature a couple of entries below - Doh!)

Last edited:
Stuart,
I have just been through the same thing. I bought a manfrotto 393 head s/h & fitted a jobu quick release clamp (instead of the MN357 quick release), which is compatible with arca-swiss plates (same as Wimberley, Kirk etc). All this is atop a 681B monopod. Can post some photos later to ilustrate if you want.
Regards
Rob

I don't think the Manfrotto RC2 QR system is good for a 500mm lens. I mounted a Kirk quick release plate on top of a Manfrotto 234 (non-RC) monopod head. You can use another manufacturer's arca-swiss compatible quick release as well. This way, your monopod's quick release system will be consistent with your tripod system.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back