• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly photography (1 Viewer)

Hi

I would be really grateful for any help I could get from bird forum users.

I would like to start photographing dragonflies this year - I have a Nikon Coolpix 4300 and a 3x tele-c lens.

What advice would anyone have on which mode -ie manual or auto settings. Is it adviseable to use a cable release or a tripod.

Thanks very much
Mikah

Firstly, forget flight shots, at least to start with!

On the assumption that you'll mainly be shooting in good light you can stop the lens down to minimum aperture to maximise depth of field.

Bright light also makes using the LCD screen a bit difficult - a sunshade (especially with 2x magnification) is very useful.

I'm not familiar with the settings on this model but if it hasn't got a 'spot' autofocus mode you may find using manual focus more useful - preset a distance and them move in back and forth to get the sharpest image, not forgetting to allow for the slight delay in 'refresh rate' of the screen.

If you've selected the aperture to use, 'aperture-priority' exposure mode is the best choice for exposure, using the +/- exposure compensation to adjust the exposure where necessary according to the LCD screen.

Having all the focus and exposure settings pre-set ready allows you to concentrate on the subject which means carefully approaching the insect from the angle you want the final photo to be at.

Different species have different levels of tolerance as far as approaching them goes - you'll get the feel of it as you go along!

Some of the smaller dragonfly species such as darters can be very approachable and they often return to just a few favoured perches.

At the other end of the scale, many damselflies are much more wary. so with their smaller size this is where your 3x converter may come in useful!

Emperors tend to land on a reed-stem out in the middle of a pool after flying around continuously for ages so be prepared for a bit of frustration with these!

Later in the year, Southern and Migrant hawkers can also fly around quite a lot but then suddenly land on a twig or a leaf and stay there for minutes at a time giving you the chance of a very close approach.

When going up to the dragonfly you'll need to get right down to their level for your final approach - don't go right up to them and then crouch down. If the grass is wet then you'll have to be prepared to get soaked from head to foot!

Also, if you've got the right kit, digiscoping is a more than useful way of getting shots of the more difficult to approach species.

Hi guys,
Many thanks for the help - I have noted all the comments Adey and appreciate the suggestions, now all I need is the dragonflies!!We do seem to get a fair amount in this area - so hope I can have some success with these suggestions.
Mikah

I HAVE A COOLPIX 4500. BASICALLY, SAME PIXEL QUALITY AS 4300. IN FACT SO CLOSE I THINK NIKON DISCONTINUED 4500. I HAVE A 2X LENS AND A 8X LENS AS WELL AS SCOPE. I FIND IT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO A PIC ON ANYTHING ABOVE 2X W/O A TRIPOD. JUST TOO MUCH MOVEMENT. IVE TAKEN SOME BUTTERFLIES AND OF COURSE BIRDS. I USUALLY SET THE CAMERA AT APERTURE SETTING THEN ADJUST PRIORITY. UNDERSTAND THAT I AM A NOVICE BUT I AM GETTING SOME DECENT PICS. NOT WORLD CLASS BUT DECENT. I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU INVEST IN A VERY GOOD TRIPOD W/BALL HEAD. I HAVE BOGEN MANFROTI. I AM THINKING OF GOING TO AN EVEN HEAVIER TRIPOD TO GET RID OF ANY MOVEMENT. I WAS OUT TODAY ON VERY VERY WINDY DAY AND WAS HAVING MUCH DIFFICULTY. BY THE WAY I BOUGHT AN INEXPENSIVE 8X LENS (AT LEAST BY LENS STANDARDS) AT KENKOMALL.COM. MY POSITION WAS THE SAME AS WITH MY SCOPE. I WANTED TO TRY IT AND SEE IF I COULD CONQUER THEN I WOULD BUY SUBSTANTIALLY MORE EXPENSIVE LIKE A SWAROVSKI. I THINK YOU CAN USE AUTO IN SOME CASES BUT ULTIMATELY I THINK YOU WANT TO GET AWAY FROM IT TO GET QUALITY PICS. I WOULD NOT BUY A CABLE RELEASE YET UNTIL YOU PRACTICE SOME MORE. A COVER FOR YOUR VIEW FINDER CAN BE FOUND AT PHOTOSOLVE.COM OR OMEGASATTER.COM. I HAVE NEITHER BUT I AM CONTEMPLATING ONE OR OTHER. I ACTUALLY BOUGHT A COVER FROM RITZCAMERA.COM WHICH COVERS 3 SIDES AND THEN I USE BLACK DUCT TO KEEP LIGHT OUT THE 4TH SIDE. YOU CAN PROBABLY USE HOMEMADE VERSION TILL YOU GET ONE. EMAIL ME AT [email protected] COUPLE OF DRAGONFLY PICS AND ILL RETURN W/BIRD PIC. MAYBE WE CAN FIGURE THIS THING OUT. GOOD LUCK.

Thanks Ken
Have been on the site Dragonfly Photography - great and thank you. What would one do without Bird Forum. Am really chuffed about the amount of response and am looking forward to trying out many of the suggestions. Will look at the Yahoo group.
Saw some great photographs on Cheshire Ordonata but no tips on how its done!!!!
Thanks again.
Mikah

I have the coolpix 5700 and have managed quite a few good dragonfly pics.
1-Adey Baker is right: you have to get prepared to getting wet ! I shot a few pics while waiding in water (with my cam held up high ....heheh ).
2- Using the "Macro" is (from my point of view): cruciall, as well as "spot metering"- both settings give you the maximum attention on the dragonfly itself.
3- I suggest shooting as many pics as possible at different shooting settings and later compare the shots.
4- Btw - u can get some excellent pics without any accesories ( lens etc..) if you are very patient and get close as possible to the dragonfly.
5- Since dragonflies tend to fly alot - i don't use a tripod for those pics . I wait for the right moment while moving around with them untill they settle down ( even for a sec.)

Where can we see some of your dragonfly photos, Doc?

These two were taken with an SLR camera:

Attachments

• mighawkers_wheel.jpg
    mighawkers_wheel.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 4-spotted_chaser-best.jpg
    4-spotted_chaser-best.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Surreybirder:

Here's a sample- taken with cp5700- the jordan river- summer 2003- this is the original pic with no adjustments .
I had to tread in water for over 2 hours and look around till i managed to catch it standing motionless for a few seconds .

Attachments

• DSCN0913.JPG
    DSCN0913.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 245
And here's another example- also taken with the cp 5700

Attachments

• Copy of DSCN1137.JPG
    Copy of DSCN1137.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 196
DOC said:
Surreybirder:

Here's a sample- taken with cp5700- the jordan river- summer 2003- this is the original pic with no adjustments .
I had to tread in water for over 2 hours and look around till i managed to catch it standing motionless for a few seconds .

Wow, that's gorgeous! Congratulations on your patience and the result.
Is it Trithemis annulata?

Last edited:
I've got a few photos of dragonflies taken with a Fuji Finepix in macro mode; and also, moths and butterflies.
I'll attach a couple below

Attachments

• shuttle-shaped_dart.jpg
    shuttle-shaped_dart.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 164
  • satellite-5-3-2004a.jpg
    satellite-5-3-2004a.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 159
  • silverY 2.jpg
    silverY 2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 178
  • comma_under3.jpg
    comma_under3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
I posted this last week - i think it's some sort of moth but i'm not sure.

Attachments

• Copy of Red Alert.jpg
    Copy of Red Alert.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 206
DOC said:
I posted this last week - i think it's some sort of moth but i'm not sure.
I'd say it was a moth but I don't know what kind.... it's not unlike a five-spot burnet, a diurnal species we get in the UK, so perhaps it's one of that genus? There are some experienced moth-ers on the forum so perhaps you'll get a reply.
Ken

Hi DOC it's definitely a moth of the Zygaenidae family (or Burnets as Ken pointed out), but othe rthan that, I'm afraid i can't help you.

Hi Ken - Doc. Some fabulous photo's - certainly gives me some inspiration. I went on your web site Ken and was most impressed. Couldn't follow this though - it's taken me long enough to understand the basics of computing.
Again - I've noted all the tips and will follow these through - might even wade in the ateer - for pics like that it's worth it Doc.
I'm in England - can anybody recommend a good field guide for dragonflies - geared at a novice of course!! I have been on the computer sites but its much easier to have a book to hand once out of doors.

I was advised, by a number of people on BF, to get the Field Guide to Dragonflies and Damselflies of GB and Ireland, by Steve Brooks.

I have certainly found it useful and it's not too heavy to carry around. It's about £18. ISBN: 0953139905

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back