• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2009 IUCN Red List decisions (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the link:

I suspect Baer's Pochard (endangered) might require yet another review:
Birdlife Data Zone "The total population is now likely to be less than 5,000 individuals" seems to hint at populations that just aren't there. Recent records are very few and far between. I wonder if <500 is closer to the mark - guesswork of course!

I also find it amazing that Ryukyu Woodcock (vu) has not been upgraded to endangered given the rapid range contraction, presumably a result of greatly mongoose populations.
A population of 2,500-9,999 sounds very high, havng spoken to someone who leads tours there on a regular basis. The data zone mentions conservation efforts but I'm not sure what these are.

Walden's Hornbill (Critical) - given the numbers of nests now known and protected on Panay through PESP (700+ in 2008) I suspect downgrading to endangered might be appropriate.

cheers, alan

The 2009 IUCN Red List for birds will be online on 14 May 2009 on the BLI website. Some new entries in the CR category include the Gorgeted Puffleg, the Antioquia Brush-finch, the Palila, and the Sidamo Lark.

The Chestnut-bellied Hummingbird and the Mauritius Fody will be downlisted from CR to EN.

Birdlife Data Zone "The total population is now likely to be less than 5,000 individuals" seems to hint at populations that just aren't there. Recent records are very few and far between. I wonder if <500 is closer to the mark - guesswork of course!

Those numbers might not really be the most up-to-date. The "official" population estimates for rare birds here also always seem impossibly large compared to personal observations. However, the people who run the numbers through the statistical models have been developing the methods and and doing it for a very long time.

It's interesting to see that the Bahia Tapaculo (formerly considered CR) was removed from the BirdLife list without further comment. But as stated on the SACC website it seems that the Bahia Tapaculo is just a subspecies of the White-breasted Tapaculo which was recently transferred to the genus Eleoscytalopus.

Hi Melanie,

Apologies for these species going missing, this was caused by an error in the Datazone search function, which was due in both cases to changes in genus (Scytalopus to Eleoscytalopus, and Atlantisia to Mundia). BirdLife still recognises Bahia Tapaculo at present (still Critically Endangered) and Ascension Crake (sadly still very much Extinct) and both should now appear on the Datazone.

I'm new to this forum, and am somewhat lost. I am looking for the thread on Imperial Woodpeckers. I saw it on Google, but neglected to save it.

Well, I found it, or a thread with that title. But it is closed. So maybe I'll start it up again.?

(I didn't know this was a forum based in the UK when I joined.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back