• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Critique please - Heron (1 Viewer)

ChrisK

This is my first pic post- I've been into photography for a few years now, and have turned my camera to birds recently.
Shot info:
Fuji S5000
Aperture priority F2.8
Shutter 1/90 sec (handheld) @ 10X zoom
ISO 200

Attachments

• heron2.jpg
    heron2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 296
Your kidding right Christian???

To my eyes, this is near to perfect as you can get as far as I'm concerned. The only thing I did was use an unsharp mask at low levels just to crisp it up a bit. Hope you don't mind

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 243
Well - I'd consider a tripod if you're going to make a habit of this at 10x zoom! But this shot is very sharp - well done indeed.

Thats fine KC- thanks for that; it does look better.
I'll have a play with the Unsharp mask in PS.
Scampo- yeah I know I had a monopod with me, just didnt realise when I took the pic how long the shutter was. lol
(too focused in getting any shot at all, as the bird looked about ready to run at a moments notice)

ChrisK said:
Thats fine KC- thanks for that; it does look better.
I'll have a play with the Unsharp mask in PS.
Scampo- yeah I know I had a monopod with me, just didnt realise when I took the pic how long the shutter was. lol
(too focused in getting any shot at all, as the bird looked about ready to run at a moments notice)
You might like to download a copy of Neat Image and use their preset "noise and sharpness" filter - you'll soon be hooked and want to buy the full product (well worth it I think).

Chris,what an amazing picture,it looks as though digi scoping will soon be outdated with images such as this coming through!!

Heron

Hi ChrisK

Very nice shot, only thing I would say from my preference would be to clean up the feathers on the beak, lighten the shot slightly and apply unsharp mask when you've finished. See shot below.

nirofo.

Attachments

• heron2.jpg
    heron2.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 224
scampo said:
Hmm - just a touch overprocessed/oversharp maybe - a few artefacts seem visible?

Have to agree with Scampo the image looks worse (no offence).

Hey Chris how far were you from the Heron with your s5000? Its a cracking pic.

Macca B :)

I'd have to agree with Scampo as well. A more moderate unsharp mask looks better. My one comment would be that it looks very slightly blueish to my eyes. I'd adjust the white balance slightly if it were me. But like I said - colour's very subjective and the tinge is very slight. Other than that, it looks great to me.

My try!

27955825.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back