PDA

View Full Version : Badminston GP

pdwinter
Monday 9th March 2009, 15:01
An hour before work this morning (9/3/9) produced 3 pairs of shelduck getting stroppy, 3 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall and at least 28 Med Gulls.

No sign of the Red-crested Pochard or the previous weekend's Green Sandpiper.

pdwinter
Thursday 12th March 2009, 13:47
Could only find 11 Med Gulls early morning (12th March) but a large number of birds flew off just as I was setting my scope up! Walked all around the pits and the pig fields and still no sign of the RC Pochard - must have flown back to europe. There was one singing Skylark but I've not heard a Wood Lark there yet this year. A Raven flew from the power station into the privacy of the Cadland Estate.

pdwinter
Sunday 15th March 2009, 18:28
60 Med Gulls c. 09.30 this moning - no 1st winter birds today. Also 130 Common Gulls, 3 prs Shelduck, 2 prs Gadwall, singing Skylark, Buzzards overhead and a male Sparrowhawk unsettling the gulls. A Woodlark was singing just off Badminston Drove.

pdwinter
Thursday 19th March 2009, 10:05
49 Med Gulls present until c.09:00 when two lads and their dogs walked through the middle of the main pit. Shelduck numbers have increased to 13. A Lesser Redpoll was an unusual sighting. One of the estate workers told me that there are now a few Dartford Warblers and good numbers of singing Yellowhammers in the Newhouse Copse area.

den121
Thursday 19th March 2009, 19:57
An evening stroll around the common hoping to and failing to hear Woodcock produced Yellowhammers, Woodlark several calling Tawny Owls and a Firecrest.

pdwinter
Saturday 21st March 2009, 13:14
A walk around the common and the heath to the west of the stream brought 3 Yellowhammers, a Marsh Tit and a Lesser Redpoll. There were 123 Med Gulls on the gravel pit at c.11:30 and 2 Ravens circled cronking.

pdwinter
Sunday 22nd March 2009, 18:51
Arrived at Badminston around 10 and with a quick scan revealing many Meds did a complete count immediately - 251 at 10:10, my highest ever count. Picked out 6 CR birds, 4 of which I could read properly. Yesterday's CR bird was Belgian and has just spent the winter at Radipole and presumably is heading back to Belgium for the breeding season.

Shelduck numbers up to 17.

pdwinter
Wednesday 25th March 2009, 10:42
Med Gull numbers built from 22 at 07:30 to 190 just before 9am when I had to leave for work. No sign of Monday's Iceland Gull but probably gone north now.

pdwinter
Saturday 28th March 2009, 13:00
Med Gull numbers built to 514 at 11:30. A Buzzard flew low across the pit mid morning - never seen so much white-winged flight. A Dartford Warbler was in the gorse behind me and showed briefly. 16 Shelduck on the pit and 3 Gadwall still. 2 Peregrines were high up just to the south.

pdwinter
Sunday 29th March 2009, 19:04
In a limited amount of time this morning Colin Allen and I counted c.300 Med Gulls at 11:15 and just before I left at 11:25 two Swallows flew south. Colin perservered and counted 463 Meds at 12:30 before domestic duties beckoned him too!

One more big HT tomorrow c.14:00 so I'll try once more before the gulls start travelling east to breed.

pdwinter
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 08:19
There were still 500+ Mediterranean Gulls early afternoon on the main pit. There were 4 CR birds - 2 re-sightings and 2 new, one German-ringed and one Belgian-ringed. We've now had 25 different CR birds since 1st July 2008.
2 Red-legged Partridge along the track were new for the year for me.

Good birding

pdwinter
Sunday 5th April 2009, 19:43
Med Gull numbers built through the morning from 19@08:40 to 252 @11:05. I managed to pick out 9 CR meds including 5 new to me and a re-sighting of a Polish-ringed bird that I last (and first) saw at Badminston on 2/7/2008. On the migrant front there was one singing Willow Warbler. A Dartford Warbler was singing in the gorse behind me as I scanned the gulls.

Good birding

cwpbirder
Tuesday 7th April 2009, 23:32
I'd be grateful for directions to Badminston GPs to see the large nos of Med Gulls there. Is it easy to find for a non-Hampshire native, and are the birds best at high tide? Any info (prior to Easter) gratefully received.

pdwinter
Wednesday 8th April 2009, 07:07
Hi cwpbirder

The viewing at Badminston is from c. SU462018

To get there you take the A326 south from juntion 2 (Ower) of the M27 and just keep going towards Calshot (the road becomes the B3053 at some point - probably as you approach Fawley village). As you drive along the road past Fawley village the power station looms large on your left. Not far after the speed limit goes from 40 to 50 you see the first entrance to the power station (on your left) and about 100m further on at c. SU464024 you turn right into Badminston Lane (obvious signs for Badminston Garage). Park near the garage , walk on west through (around!) the metal 5 bar gate and after a short distance bear left at the NW corner of the pit. Then walk along the track until the pines disappear and there are a few gaps in the gorse.

Probably best around high tide - but certainly not productive at 8am in the morning whatever the tide!

Still 500+ on Monday - there's a new Hampshire sightings page at http://www.goingbirding.co.uk/hants/birdnews.asp

Good luck

Paul

cwpbirder
Wednesday 8th April 2009, 17:01
Paul,
thanks for info, hope to get there over Easter

pdwinter
Thursday 9th April 2009, 18:32
Only managed to count 179 Med Gulls this morning at 11:50 - I would have been really chuffed with the count up to 2 weeks ago! It did include 13 colour-ringed birds - from 5 different country schemes including my first British/Irish ringed bird. Something (unseen) seemed to keep spooking the gulls today. The Dartford Warbler was still singing and showing in the gorse behind.

I've attached a pic of the parking by the garage and one of where I stand with the power station as a landmark.

pdwinter
Sunday 12th April 2009, 10:05
There were at least 249 Med Gulls at 11:00. Finished counting and then a load more flew in but I concentrated on reading rings. We've had over 40 different CR Meds this spring including Hungarian, Polish and even a British-ringed bird!

A pair of Pintail were on the east pit.

There was Pale-bellied Brent with 305 Dark-belled at Lepe before 9am.

skatebirder
Sunday 12th April 2009, 11:17
A pair of Pintail were on the east pit.

At about 8:30 am (on the 11th) there was a pair of Pintail just offshore from Fawley Power Station - possibly the same birds.

David

pdwinter
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 20:17
Still large numbers of Med Gulls at Badminston. I counted 448 just after noon and as soon as I finished a load more flew in from the Lepe direction. 22 different CR birds today with one of them appearing to be building a nest. A Cuckoo was calling from Badminston Drove most of the time I was there and a Dartford singing next to me most of the morning. 3 Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk kept the gulls alert.

pdwinter
Monday 4th May 2009, 07:51
The adult and 2nd summer Med Gulls seem to have mostly disappeared now. I saw three adults together in flight and 20 1st summers on the north pit. Two Ravens were around overhead on and off most of the day and settled on the banks of the pit at times. On the north pit there was a Common Sandpiper all day and late afternoon quite a large group of Sand and House Martins visited.

I've put a new page on my wesbite about Badminston GP - http://www.patchwatch.co.uk/patchbad.asp - including instructions how to get there and a map, confirming why I never became a draftsman, showing the pit and the viewpoints. If you use google maps there are only fields on the satellite image.

Cheers

pdwinter
Saturday 16th May 2009, 18:25
Only 1 Mediterranean Gull present this morning - a first summer bird. The Raven pair were there again and the Gadwall pair still present. There was a mixed flock of Swallows and House Martins (c. 40 and 30 respectively) but unusually no Sand Martins.

pdwinter
Saturday 11th July 2009, 18:11
There were c.200 Med Gulls, inc 7 juveniles, on the north pit around 11:30. I managed to read 11 colour-rings - 6 Belgian, 2 German, 2 Hungarian and 1 Polish. There was a Greenshank on the main pit.

pdwinter
Saturday 25th July 2009, 22:57
The Med Gulls were mostly in the pig fields east of the piy when I arrived. Counted 39 but there was a big area screened by piggeries. At c.4.45pm a mass of gulls descended onto the north pit. I counted 9 juvs, then noted a CR bird and when I looked back they were all high up in the air and heading off in the Lepe direction. Went to Lepe and the tide was still high so game over!

pdwinter
Sunday 26th July 2009, 17:12
There were 35 Med Gull juveniles at 1pm. The most meds I managed to count at any one time was 80 but the birds were coming in for wash and brushup and then flying out again so there were probably several hundred. 12 CR birds of which I managed to read 11. The other - hungarian ringed bird - jumped back inmto the water before I could get all the letters.

A Little Ringed Plover was present pm.