• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI on Bulgaria and Bulgarian Site guide (1 Viewer)

lostinjapan

Dear All,

Myself and a friend are planning to visit Bulgaria on a birding trip from April 15th to 25th and were wondering if anyone could help us with information on good sites, maps and accomodation.

I have purchased Dave Gonsney's guide, but the information is almost 10 years old and so a little out of date.

We are especially interested in any sites for birds in the Eastern Rhodopes, as we want to concentrate on the Black Sea coast as much as possible. We are especially interested in sites for Wallcreeper, Rock Nuthatch, Imperial Eagle, Lesser Spotted Eagle and Hazel Hen.

We are also wondering if anyone has a copy of the 'Where to Watch Birds in Bulgaria' bird guide they would be willing to sell on to us as it seems to be out of print.

We are also interested in any recommendations for good accomodation on the Black Sea coast and in the Rhodopes Mtns, as well as a good map of the country with roman and cyrillic script.

Yours hopefully

Sean Minns
Colchester, Essex

Hi Sean

I am going in May! Have done all my research and read "Where to watch birds in Bulgaria." Although it's a good book it's almost impossible to get a copy (I borrowed mine). You will find, however, that Gerard Gorman has a new book out called something like "Where to watch birds in Eastern Europe" (or something similar). This is good and the large section on Bulgaria should give you plenty to go on. It compares well with the other book and, having read both, there is no real advantage in trying to get the out of print one. We have booked all our accommodation from the internet but, not having been yet, cannot advise on quality. Did find that the main tourest site wanted all payments up front for accommodation. We managed to avoid this by finding most places independantly AND cheaper!

Be interesting to compare notes. Any hot tips welcome on your return. Pin down a Wallcreeper for May for me!!!!

Best

James

Dear All,

Myself and a friend are planning to visit Bulgaria on a birding trip from April 15th to 25th and were wondering if anyone could help us with information on good sites, maps and accomodation.

I have purchased Dave Gonsney's guide, but the information is almost 10 years old and so a little out of date.

We are especially interested in any sites for birds in the Eastern Rhodopes, as we want to concentrate on the Black Sea coast as much as possible. We are especially interested in sites for Wallcreeper, Rock Nuthatch, Imperial Eagle, Lesser Spotted Eagle and Hazel Hen.

We are also wondering if anyone has a copy of the 'Where to Watch Birds in Bulgaria' bird guide they would be willing to sell on to us as it seems to be out of print.

We are also interested in any recommendations for good accomodation on the Black Sea coast and in the Rhodopes Mtns, as well as a good map of the country with roman and cyrillic script.

Yours hopefully

Sean Minns
Colchester, Essex

Sean- You are welcome to borrow my copy of Iankov and few other bits and pieces. Drop me a PM.

Dear James

Thanks for that info. I didn't know about Gorman's book...so I will have to check it out. Things are taking shape nicely, as we now have tickets booked and hopefully will sort out car hire soon. Any more information on the accomodation you booked and the cost would be useful, and of course I will pass on any information on Wallcreeper and any of the other hard to find species if we can find them :)

Good Birding

Sean

Dear All,

Yours hopefully

Sean Minns
Colchester, Essex

Hi Sean

I visited Bulgaria last May and thought you might find the link attached helpful, especially the the one by my Guide he mentions some very good locations.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=114342

Mick.

You will need a good road map as the signs from The Black Sea Coast (out of Bourgas) are not too good.

But you could find LS eagle & indeed Eastern Imperial Eagle anywhere in the low lying Sakar range tho when i visited in june 07 only located one LS eagle. Rock Nuthatch at Madzhorovo, but you would still need a guide to help you find the nest by the road (if its still there). This area is superb for loads of birds. As is the journey itself from Bourgas which we did in a single day (there and back). Suggest you think about staying in accommodation in Madzorovo for a night. Several Olive Tree Warblers just before village of Shtit close to border with Turkey . Suggest take your passports at all times as border police may stop you but were polite to us once they understood we were bird watching. same applies if you head up north to Lake Durankulak for Paddyfield Warbler, and Cape Kaliakra for Pied Wheatear, stopping off at Goritza Forest for Semi-Collared Fly etc. The border guards can stop you to check your passport before you actually get to the border.

Last edited:
Dear James

Thanks for that info. I didn't know about Gorman's book...so I will have to check it out. Things are taking shape nicely, as we now have tickets booked and hopefully will sort out car hire soon. Any more information on the accomodation you booked and the cost would be useful, and of course I will pass on any information on Wallcreeper and any of the other hard to find species if we can find them :)

Good Birding

Sean

Some hotel info. As I say not been yet but they look good on the web!!!

Hotel Rodina in Sofia @ 46 euro per night for a double.
Hotel More in Sozopol @ 23 euro per night for a double.
Seapark Homes @ Neshkov @ cheap for a self catering suite (can't remember cost).
Car hire off carhire 3000 website (but with Hertz) Group B (Corsa or similar) 4 door A/c for £342 for 2 weeks. There were cheaper ones but mostly old bangers.

Hope some of this helps, have a great time.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back