• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simple question... (1 Viewer)

Yippeekiay

Hey All,
Just bought a 65 PF ED II w/out EP because I have a few Meade 1.25's for my reflector astro scope. But I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading soon and just want a quick consensus. I do mostly if not all long range scoping for BOP's, ducks and other open area avians. I've read a bunch of threads for and against and am at a stalemate. What I need is a "definitive" opinion/answer... zoom or XW14. I'm willing to put up some cash without going overboard so a quick chime would be appreciated.

Between the two??? XW14, 28x mag is enough for long distance, remember if you go any higher the atmosphere will win 9 outta 10 times!!! That way you won't handicap yourself if the atmosphere isn't cooperative. Hope you enjoy you're new scope, Bryce...

I would agree. Go with the fixed power, wide angle eyepiece. I was more than pleased using the XW 20 for BOP watching. The huge field of view coupled with the excellent edge sharpness made for a wonderful combination for this application.

Had second thoughts on spending quite that much, but I did find a smokin' deal on a TV 14mm Radian so I'll go w/ that for now.
Now it's just a matter of time and hoping I did the right thing. What I'm mostly trying to accomplish is still just upgrading from my Leupold Green ring. Considering the addage "You get what you pay for", I'd like to think this'll wind up positively.
Anyone have experience w/ the two?

"Anyone have experience w/ the two?"

Yup.
The Radian has a 60 degree AFOV vs 70 for the XW.
The Radian is not waterproof, the XW is.
The Radian has a simple old fashioned rubber eyecup, the XW has an infinitely adjustable screw up eyecup that will accommodate anyone, and works brilliantly to block stray light.
The XW's eyecup is modular and has a removable section exposing 43mm threads for attaching accessories, as in digiscoping.

The only advantages the Radian has is that it is smaller, if that means much to you, and it is less expensive.

Sounds like you prefer the Radian. ;) Actually one reason I posted the question was, as with many, I couldn't make up my mind. Now I cancelled my order and am on the prowl for the XW14 again. Wouldn't it be nice just to say "Give me the best you've got" and be done with it. No comparison shopping or compromises.
Was wondering if anyone has had experience w/ the Leupold Sequoia (Green ring) vs the Pentax PF ED. That's where I'm on te edge of my seat. Did I make the right choice? Will the Pentax 65 out-perform the bigger Leupold? Money spent says yes, but there's always the chance.... Stay tuned.

I don't know a thing about the Leupold, so no help there. I will say, and I've been trying to avoid saying it because it's been said here recently and often, that unless you have a bad copy of PF65II and 28X is OK, it will yield a magnificent view.

"Wouldn't it be nice just to say "Give me the best you've got" and be done with it. No comparison shopping or compromises."

IMO that would be the XW14.

Well, there's an XW14 on the way. Should be here about the same time as the scope body. "Magnificent" would be more than welcome but I'm just hoping for "Really nice".
There were some ducks at our local sanctuary the other day and I could swear they were American Wigeons but they were a bit too far to tell for sure. I just hope they're still there this weekend. I guess they're migrating and may only be in town for a bit. That scope will sure come in handy!
Thanks for the advice!

Well Yip, let us know what you think. I'm not in the habit of giving unequivocal endorsements, but I'm pretty confident in the combo you'll have. Most arguments about these don't center around any shortcomings of the XW but of the comparison (merits) of a fixed focal length EP v zoom.

I think it's been about three weeks now that the Pentax has greatly improved our enjoyment in birding. Just checking in with a huge :t: for this combo. I've been carrying it around in my truck w/ a window mount, using it here and there, but today we really put it through it's paces at the local patch.
WOW! is about the best technical description I can muster right now.
Next up, tripods...

I am not sure what type of combination you are looking for but I ended up with the Bogen-Manfrotto 3001 BN legs coupled with the 3130 head. Light enough to be portable but heavy enough to provide for steady image. Total cost was a bit over $200 IIRC.

I've got a Manfrotto 701 RC2 head on Gitzo G2220 (older CF model) tripod. This was my convertible tripod for landscape photography but I find it works very well for scoping. The 701 RC2 head is ok and the only thing I would improve on it is the addition of a positive plate lock but apart from that its very good for its weight. They are now discontinued and the 701 HDV is the only variant Manfrotto is selling... a bit heavier but the locking plate is more bomber.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back