• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Housemartins return? (1 Viewer)

Hello

Does anyone know when the housemartins will return? I know that swifts are the first to arrive and the first to leave. I was wondering if the return of the housemartins will be a little later this year with the cold weather winter we have had.

House Martin at St Mary's Island,Northumberland today.There have been several reports of House Martins in the last week or so in the UK

Hello

Does anyone know when the housemartins will return? I know that swifts are the first to arrive and the first to leave. I was wondering if the return of the housemartins will be a little later this year with the cold weather winter we have had.

There has been quite a few records of Housemartins already. By the way, Swifts are the last to arrive ;)

Thanks for all your replys :)

By the way, Swifts are the last to arrive.

OOPS ;)

I think I must have meant last to arrive first to leave. Its been a long day.

So hopefully we should be getting housemartins within a week or two in the midlands. I had a look up today whilst working outside and saw nothing. I normaly find out they have arrived back when I hear them as they are miles high sometimes.

Hi
My colleague called me last week Wednesday 25 March to tell me he'd just spotted 5 by the Upper Boat in Pontypridd. Not seen any myself yet tho :-(
Ian

three more HM's at East Park today with a few swallows, weather cold and damp and they spent their time near animal compounds to get the insects.

I saw my first Sand Martin on the 12th March in Bude Cornwall and my first Swallow on the 28th March here in Bideford North Devon but I have still not seen a House Martin this year. In past years I have always had Martins before the Swallow's.

One pair of House Martins reported to the BTO's House Martin survey have returned to their territory at a house in Scotland three weeks earlier this year than last. This is a really easy survey to take part in so please follow the link and contribute!

House martins back early this year

I visited Welney Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust reserve on 12 April but have only just found this thread.

A pair looking to nest at main hide, seen very well.

Welney well worth a visit - off A10 between Cambridge / Ely and King's Lynn.:t:

I had my first House Martins and Swallows flying together last Thursday - 16th April - in Hulne Park, Alnwick.
Haven't had any actually IN the town itself yet though so whether they are arriving back at the farms first or were just passing through on their way north I don't know.

Lovely to see them back though :t:

I've still not had a House Martin seen plenty of Swallow's Today but not one House Martin, they've normaly arrived by now.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back