• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flushing Owls to Get a 'Tick'.......... (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

Hello
What do the Members think of Birders who flush Long eared Owls deliberately (in order to see/tick them) at this time of year..........?
SE.
:C

Last edited:
StevieEvans said:
Hello
What do the Members think of Birders who flush Long eared Owls deliberately (in order to see/tick them) at this time of year..........?
SE.

My response is unprintable,:-C

StevieEvans said:
Hello
SE.

don't see that the time of year matters. Unacceptable at any time surely.

Charles Harper said:
What`s special about LEOs?
Hi Charles,

They are very sensitive to disturbance and (unlike Short-eared Owls) will easily desert a site where they get flushed more than once or twice. With now being the start of their breeding season, that could easily mean a year's breeding disrupted.

Michael

Informed Reply.

Thank you Mr Frankis.
Its Nice to get an informed responce.

Charles
i'm sorry if i'm two predick-table fore ewe.
Unfortunately the scaring of difficult to locate species is all too predictable.
If you had a particular passion for something, lets say one particularly enigmatic & cryptic species(Leo), then You wood probablee like to tork abowt it. Or alternatively one particular Subject which you were absorbed in... (For example incorrect spelling & notes on grammer etc)

#This is a problem in my opinion of National (probably International) birding importance.
This species & its 'life-story' aren't yet fully understood, yet birders have been chasing them about just to get a number on their (or Someone elses..) lists, while the bird is beginning its breeding season!

pduxton
I agree wholeheartedly with your reply, but i was looking for someone who would see the relevance of ...at this time of year, as Mr Frankis has explained.

Hope someone else can put forward some suggestions as to what we could do ? to lessen the likelyhood of this inept, selfish, & amaturish (feel free to tell me where to do a correction there Chas old boy).

It really makes me annoyed.
But, i suppose THE most annoying part is if those 'birders' had come back later in the day & sat out of harms way, then they'd have had cracking views of the hunting & calling female along with the Male giving his marvellous wing-clapping display...............BUT why bother when you can Have a rear end view of a tail & pair of wings....................

Anyone who can get the jist of the situation, will know how important an issue it is to someone who has spent counless hours, at all times of day & night over many years searching for this species in its breeding haunts, only to see birders 'riding rough-shod' over the bird & its nestsite.

Arrrrrr, i feel much better Now ive got that off my chest.

Chicken Kievs, pasta, veg & ice cold McEwans Export.
I shall be calm, soon enough.

Good bye.

SE

Long-eared Owl

A couple of years ago, someone found a rariety in Cruden Bay woods. As per usual, the local birders went chasing. There is a long path in the woods, and when returning from the rariety, the first guys spotted a L-E.O. sitting facing North, in a tree, 15 feet from the path. They quietly put up a sign stating where the bird was. The rareity chasers got their bird plus the L-E.O. for free. It sat there the whole day, but people passing by were asked to be quiet.
As Michael stated, they can be quite "sensitive to disturbance".
Nice bird though.

Malky @ Westhill

Shhhh ?

Hi Carlos
I know what you are saying.

Unfortunately
the location ive mentioned here is well known as a Leo site & has been for several years now.

When i came across a breeding pair here, they were news to me, but unfortunately already 'public' knowledge to regional birders.
This breeding site is the closest to where i now live.(less than a mile)

There have been roosts here of 21 birds over recent years, so the chances of keeping 'it' quiet were always going to be dificult.

(In my experience, birds go on to breed at almost every location where they have winter roosted...OR is it the other way around ?)

#Nowadays i keep all newly discovered Leo sites confidential, i dont even submit them to bird club or Bto. I have approx 18 pairs that ive located spread over a wide area from sea-level to moorland fringes. There are also other pairs locally.
Its now impossible for me to keep tabs on all 'my' pairs, which is all the more maddening when people are going around 'shaking bushes'.

#
Ive received a PM from a BF member who has suggested the possibility of fencing off a suitable & Organised Viewing area, from where roosting birds can be seen.
This would be a good oppurtunity to :-
Allow people to view & enjoy the birds.
Allow the birds to remain unmolested, having removed the need for them to be flushed.
Highlight the problem's which the species faces, in a local context.
Etc,etc

This is an idea i shall be thinking about......in the mean time i can't deceide..............razorwire or just good old barb...........?

StevieEvans. (calm)

Hi Stevie,

Nice idea in a way to have an organised viewing point - only problem is, stuffed LEOs are in demand as house ornaments (sick, isn't it!), and there's characters around who would go out to shoot them to sell for this, if they knew exactly where to go

Michael

Shooting Gallery.

MF
Fair point Michael, i suppose someone would probably 'borrow' the fencing materials too !
While we watched the Male displaying again this evening, we were treated to the sound of a group of yobs kicking the nearby hide to bits!
Aaaaah, the delights of the urban fringe of S'land! We cant complain though, we havnt had the car windows put out for weeks now!

I'm just wondering how many linear metres of wire im going to have to get, ive got some galvanised razor wire down the yard already..........that stuffs a bit naughty though, just goin' to stick with normal barb.

Nice to know there's at least one other person who can catch my drift.

PS. Had what i presumed to be the Jarrow Greenshank, flying around Shibdon pond about 2weeks ago, with these strong southerlies it may just blown over your end....? ;)
also 2 each of Avocet & Slav grebe on Sealsands if you have your passport handy...

Catch you later.
Stevie.

Whad I do, Stevie, offend you in a previous thread? or a previous life? (Which Stevie is this anyway?) All I said is that the responses were predictable-- you were preaching to a converted audience. I got no insights from the first two responses-- though I agree with them of course-- and asked a simple question, which Michael kindly answered for me. Now, what`s your problem, Stevie, and how can I help you adjust to society?

Sorry there`s such a time lag, folks-- I`m still fumbling with my wife`s Japanese language computer, and will be till mine comes back from the shop.

StevieEvans said:
Thank you Mr Frankis.
Its Nice to get an informed responce.

pduxton
I agree wholeheartedly with your reply, but i was looking for someone who would see the relevance of ...at this time of year, as Mr Frankis has explained.

Sorry my response wasn't "informed" BUT lets be fair anyone on this forum know's what special about the time of year. MY response was asking were you saying it was ok at other times of year? Because I agree with Mr H you're preaching to the converted. Well I HOPE you are!

Oh get the name right old chap ;)

Misconstrue..........Who's she......?

Hello

Dear ALL
Perhaps i should have entitled my Thread;-
"Have any keen amateur ornithologists had any problems recently with malicious disturbance of resident Long-eared Owls at their breeding locations?"

Given the size of this BF now, that thread may have gone by un-noticed....?
Therefore i asked 'the members' in general, but obviously wanted "that someone" (Not in a Mill's & Boon kinda Way!) to hopefully respond.

#Unfortunately, my plea's & appeals have fallen on deaf ears locally, thats probably why i have approached this thread tempestuously.

#NB
Its so easy to misunderstand the printed comments on the PC, but i would say that anyone who has been provoked by something they've Read :-
has passion & so have i,...its an enthusiasm for Leo's.

Its not my intention to offend anyone here, but i think if an educated fellow were to read this posting, they should see that its in a differnt 'tone' entirely, to that which was typed yesterday.

Charles, i obviously misconstrued your brief post & thought you were being flippant, i apologise. (I can remember you being of of the first people to welcome me to BF after i posted my Sunny Summer Evening ditty)

'Quacky Duck', i cant figure you out. You seem to take everything to heart.
Despite which Pete, I apologise to you unreservedly.

I hope you can see that mine is a genuine attempt to generate a bit of feeling about the innapropriate behaviour of what was at one time a minority, & get some feedback as to what can be done to address the problem at all levels.

Hope we can still think of a way to tackle this problem. As the numbers of birders & digiscopers increases week by week, i can only see this problem getting worse as time goes by.

StevieEvans.

Yeah Pete i'm ALL smiles 2day too!
But yesterday, ....... well that was another matter.

But i'm still on a mission to get this problem sorted...........
Regards SE

On a slightly different tack, I can honestly say that I have never seen anybody deliberately flush a LEO, for any reason whatsoever. Perhaps because I have'nt seen many that LEO's. I have actually flushed a LEO myself but that was totally accidental as I did'nt know that it was there (in a hawthorn bush next to a public footpath, it flew a dozen or so yards further away from the path and landed out of view)! Nearly all the LEO's that I have seen have been at known roost sites and I've never seen any bad behaviour, perhaps you are just unlucky where in your area. Also the fact that winter roost sites are used year after year would suggest that perhaps the owls are'nt as bothered about the disturbance as you are.

If you want to keep your sightings of 'your' LEO's secret thats totally up to you but I bet the BTO, RSPB and others are glad that not everybody does the same.

Nick

I wish I could say the same as Nick,

My first experience of LEO's earleir this year was only through an 'informed' birder having deliberately flushed them so they could be ticked by five other birders. Even then they settled agzin within minutes just yards from where they'd been disturbed.

I revisited the site three more times seeing them twice, each time without causing disturbance. Digiscoping does have it's advantages in that birds don't have to be disturbed in order to be viewed.

Two have relocated and I have seen then hunting in the day time, so hopefully they may yet breed.

Hello Ian,
The birds you refer to will almost certainly breed, as they have done at that locality since at least 1993.
I think that if that flushing episode was your first experience of the species, then its remarkably memorable for all the wrong reasons.
I cant think of one good thing to be said for deliberatly harrassing a species out into the open for others to 'tick' - pants in my opinion.
As for the "Even then they settled........." comment, all the birds are doing after being flushed is trying to find somewhere New to hide!
If they continue to get harrassed continualy, then they move on to a less favourable roosting location nearby, perhaps nearer a busy road or to a location which isnt as well sheltered etc etc. IE the birders will have put the birds in less favourable situation.
What was it about the welfare of the bird must allways come first.....

Nick
Its good to see you have found some Leos & stumbled upon them by chance.
I should imagine that in your rural area the wildlife does not has the same pressures on it as we have here on the urban fringe.
The North East has a poor reputation for cruelty to animals, nevermind to wild birds.
The site in question suffers from many problems for bird species, but especially so for a species which is easily disturbed during its breeding cycle.
Air rifle gangs, motor-scrambling, inappropriate management of trees & vegetation on & around the site, serious egg collectors, irrespondsible rough shooting, arson & twocking, vandalism etc, etc.
Also, Recent developing of the adjoining land for industrial purposes adds more pressure still.
We're 95% certain that the young were moved by the female last year prior to the scrambling/climbing stage, as a result of repeated attempts of people to climb the nest tree. - this obviously does affect the birds more than it affects me!
# So as you can see theres a combination of factors already against the birds,The last thing we need is birders adding additional & completely unnecessary Stresses to the list.

As for the recording point you mention, i previously sent in copious amounts of records, but they weren't being used to any benefit that i could see.
Whats the point in me studying a pair from New Year establishing a territory through to March beginning courtship, display flights etc, putting hours in on site & making detailed notes to have the birds breeding chances jepardised by a few pairs of size 10's who feel they have the right to flush a bird to tick it off their lists ?

You mention both BTO & RSPB...
I dont think the BTO's surveys methodology (from what i've seen of it) ever allows the full picture of a birds status to be show, & by the time they corrolate all the figures.......... well in my opinion ALL records are History the next day anyway.

The RSPB, have had very little interest in the North East Members views or needs for as long as ive known what those letters stand for.

Your comment about birds returning to the same (winter) roost, is a fair one.
Sites i have where theres no disturbance-the birds can sit on the same branch all year.
At the 'disturbed site' the birds are harrassed from thicket to thicket as the winter progresses, they remain in the same general local areas, but not at the same roost site.
The problem is at its worst though, when the winter roost site is also the breeding site.

#Theres no doubting that Leo will tollerate some disturbance at its winer roosts, but what they will tollerate at their breeding site, is another matter entirely.

(Just to give you a little more insight to the problem, we've had a breeding copse cut down as too many birders were viewing it (i was able to watch the birds in great detail here prior to that, witnessed copulation, female wingclapping, 2 males wingclapping at the same time while the female called from the nest etc etc) Also at the back end of last March we had a winter roost of a dozen birds being systematically flushed from one end of a Pine shelterbelt to the other, while the resident pair were trying to incubate their clutch.)

I could go on.......

Hope you can Now see why both the owls & myself are bothered about this disturbance scenario.

Regards StevieEvans.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back