• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stornoway (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

I'll be flying up to Stornoway on Thursday with work - setting up an event at the Nicolson Institute that's running on Friday and Saturday.

I don't expect too much time off, but even if I had an hour to spare, are there any good sightings to be had in the harbour area?

Any seals or other sea mammals in the area as well?

Hi,

The Braigh, which is the causeway just outside Stornoway. (NB4732) it's looks out to sea; Long Tailed Duck, Scoter, Black Throated Divers, waders such as golden plover redshank, and terns (when they arrive) can be seen there. There are lay bys along the route, but the road is very busy. in the same are is Broad Bay (NB4534). this both good for birds such as black throats and also if you're very lucky porpoises and dolphins. Stornoway Harbour is good for seals auks such as guillemots. Weather here is still a bit cold but has been very sunny these past two days.

Hope that is of help to you.

Thanks for that. I don't know if I'll be able to get out away from Stornoway itself, but it's good to know what's about and I'll try and make the most of my time there. I always have in my mind an image of the western isles as being quite peaceful and relaxed, but from what you say about the busy road then it's not as quiet as I imagine.

Both areas only look about 2-3km from the centre of Stornoway, since I won't have a car with me, are these easily reached on foot - i.e. pavements?

Hi, Maybe your best bet is the Stornoway Harbour area in the centre of town (where ferry terminal is). Stornoway Woods (also centre-ish) is another place you could try; there are areas within there where you can see the harbour e.g. next to Woodland Centre cafe. Both places are paved to enable access to.

Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back