• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ideas for NYC in July (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

Hi.

I'm going to have a couple of days free for birding in/around New York City in early July. From everything I've read, it doesn't look as if Central Park or Jamaica Bay will yield much at that time that I don't see here in se Texas.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jeff

go for Jamiaca bay

Hi.

I'm going to have a couple of days free for birding in/around New York City in early July. From everything I've read, it doesn't look as if Central Park or Jamaica Bay will yield much at that time that I don't see here in se Texas.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jeff

I always enjoy Jamaica Bay Jeff when I go...if you haven't been there, do it...if not just to say you have been there. It is a long subway trip up from downtown but it only costs the price of one subway ticket each way, real cheap!.... once you get off the subway, head the only way you can about 2 blocks and from there turn right. About 1/2 to 3/4 mile down on your left (be careful when crossing the street)....you will find the park entrance. The right has a baylike area but you won't see much there in the summer. The park entrance side is your best bet....And yes, you will probably see much the same but it is a good walk and you will enjoy.

I know they have a Audubon tour of the Hudson too..again, might not be much different but still a good tour.... jim

Thanks, Imans. You've pretty much persuaded me!
Jeff
Hello Jeff,

West from the station, about four or five streets, turn right on Cross Bay Blvd., the first major street. The subway ticket includes a 'bus on Cross Bay Blvd, but they are infrequent. You never know what bird you might meet while walking.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

I had a very good couple of hours at Jamaica Bay on July 4. Great views of Ospreys nesting plus 3 lifers: Williow Flycatcher, Am Black Duck and Fish Crow.

I put photos and details on the July pages of my blog:
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back