• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pegsdon Hills between Barton-le-Clay and Hitchin (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

I would like to hear from anywone who has visited Pegsdon Hills area. What are your experiences of the area?

Has anyone had good experiences of seeing certain birds at this time of year. Other important wildlife over the years.

We are going there this weekend - hope that the weather remains rain free.

Looking forward to the trip now :-O:-O:-O

Last edited:
Had a nice walk there three of weeks ago, Kathy, but I expect the birds will have changed since. We saw good numbers of Redwings and Fieldfare, but no Warblers, which I expect will be back, and I believe there is a chance of passage migrants like Ring Ouzel, Redstart, Whinchat etc. at the moment. Grey Partridge, Buzzard, Kestrel, lots of Skylarks and Meadow Pipits, Green and Great-spotted Woodpeckers, Linnets etc. should still be there.

Certainly a very pleasant walk, and not nearly as busy as some spots nearer Luton and Dunstable on the downs. Still probably better for birds early in the day.

Graham

Corn Bunting breeds there, but otherwise the only things I've seen in the area are Yellow Wagtail, Nuthatch and Hobby (possibly back?)
Red Kite should be possible too.
There are some excellent areas for plants around there, although it's a bit early now.

Had a nice walk there three of weeks ago, Kathy, but I expect the birds will have changed since. We saw good numbers of Redwings and Fieldfare, but no Warblers, which I expect will be back, and I believe there is a chance of passage migrants like Ring Ouzel, Redstart, Whinchat etc. at the moment. Grey Partridge, Buzzard, Kestrel, lots of Skylarks and Meadow Pipits, Green and Great-spotted Woodpeckers, Linnets etc. should still be there.

Certainly a very pleasant walk, and not nearly as busy as some spots nearer Luton and Dunstable on the downs. Still probably better for birds early in the day.
Graham

Hi Graham

Thank you very much for your reply. Three weeks was not too long ago. It gives me a good insight into what will be around. The Ringed Ousel sounds a great bird to see anyday.

Just to see a lot of Fieldfares and Redwings wouid be fantastic as this is the right time of year for them at the moment.

I hope that the Warblers are not too illusive, (they are hard to se at the best of times anyway), and they are around here and there. Linnets a definate yes too. A nice little flock of Linnets would go down a treat.

Will let you know what is seen by another report no doubt. :t:

Corn Bunting breeds there, but otherwise the only things I've seen in the area are Yellow Wagtail, Nuthatch and Hobby (possibly back?)
Red Kite should be possible too.
There are some excellent areas for plants around there, although it's a bit early now.

hi Xenospiza

Thank you for your reply.

Yellow Wagtail would be a fantastic bird to see. It is very Yellow coloured so will be quite distinctive. not one to be missed. Only seen Grey Wagtails so far.

Corn Buntings, yes another great bird to see anyday

Birds I have not before and would be a nice plus and other unexpected surprises.

Plants are still new here, and it is remember them all of the time, and not just part of the time. Takes lots of observation as birds do too. Patience and practice and that makes it all come together.

That is the thing about Wildlife watching you never know what you are going to see next. :-O:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back