• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info Wanted - Lucca and Northern Tuscany 21/04 to 25/04 (1 Viewer)

bitterntwisted

Graham Howard Shortt
Hi,

I have a short break in Tuscany next week and looking to get some birding and walking in at least on the three full days we're there. I guess I'm too late for the Wallcreepers? Very grateful for any tips on good locations.

I'm more interested in good birding than listing but there are several southern European species I've either never seen or never seen well and would particularly like to bump inot Eagle or Scops Owls, Lesser Kestrel, Rock Thrush and Blue Rock Thrush, Crag Martin, Penduline Tit, Citril Finch, Ortolan and Black-headed Buntings, and Moustached, Spectacled, Subalpine, Savi's and Bonelli's Warblers.

Thanks,
Graham

You could try Mount Amiata which would be good for breeding and migrating passerines. Hoopoe, Western Orphean warbler, subalpine warbler lesser grey shrike short toed eagle.
Google it!!

You could try Mount Amiata which would be good for breeding and migrating passerines. Hoopoe, Western Orphean warbler, subalpine warbler lesser grey shrike short toed eagle.
Google it!!

Thanks, it does sound and look good, but it's about 3 hours from Lucca where we have an apartment so probably too long a trek for such a short stay. Was hoping for some good sites within 1 to 1.5 hours?

Graham

Hope you catch this, try Oasi Lipu - lake Massaciuccoli. It is between Lucca and the coast, I have never been, but it is supposed to be one of the best birdwatching areas of Italy.

Near Lucca there is Bocca di Serchio (from Pisa Nord A11/A12 exit turn left on the old Aurelia and, after about 500 mt, turn right under the railway and follow the signs to Marina di Vecchiano) and Bonifica di Vecchiano (same exit turn right and immediately right again, and then left after the red houses). From Bonifica di Vecchiano you can reach the Lago di Massaciuccoli.

Francesco

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back