• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strumpshaw (1 Viewer)

marcia A

Spent a lovely afternoon at Strumpshaw yesterday watching Marsh Harriers, a Kestrel and a Hobby hunting. Mind you one poor Heron was certainly unpopular as every time he took flight he got mobbed by the hoodies (black headed gulls)! Was hoping for the Bittern but he did not materialise. I never get fed up with visiting this wonderful reserve o:D (although yesterday I was working on reception). You can always be guaranteed of seeing something good there. Just wondered which Norfolk reserve proves to be the most popular and why? Your suggestions.o:D

I just love Strumpstaw.
I usually call in on a couple times during the week when I’ve been working at Cantley.

I got an early start there yesterday too, though even at 06.30 in the morning there were a number of birders around the site already.
There was plenty about but nothing out of the ordinary, for me at least.
I did see what I ID'd as a common sandpiper on the exposed mud bank across the river when I was on my way to the tower hide. I heard my first cuckoo this year too.
I could hear a grasshopper warbler away in the scrub across the river as I walked back to the old pump house.

I was wondering if it might be a good idea to let people know about the swan nesting over next to the track leading down to the pump house. Could get tricky if there are chicks about soon!

My only criticism, the crunchy path though the wood.
Fare enough that it was done as the path could get very muddy in places at times but I wonder if board walks over the trouble spots would have been a better option.

Still, it’s one of my favourite sites and I look forward to getting over again soon.

Last edited:
Looks like the Fudge Duck is plastic, I was so excited at finding it today shame.
Cuckoo seen and a raiding party of crows taking passerine nestlings to feed their own nestlings

Hi!

I'm over in Norwich for the Bank Holiday Weekend & possibly popping over to Strumpshaw.

Can anyone tell me what's been showing this week?

Cheers! B :)

Des

Last edited:
Ferruginous Duck (plastic!) - Are these RARE!

Are the Bearded Tit, Cetti's W, Black Tern & Cuckoo being seen from any particular spots?

Cheers!

Des :t:

Strump!

The Beardies, Marshes & Hobbies (and maybe even Bittern!) are best looked for from the Fen Hide: walk through the woods towards the river and down a path to the right. Cettis & Cuckoos can be heard anywhere, but are often most visible from the path along the river (Turn right towards the Tower Hide. Talking of which, the TH is often good for Kingfisher and Black Tern. If you carry on right round the reserve, Lackford Run and the beautiful cottage garden just over the railway towards the end of the circuit are prime for Swallowtails.
Buckenham (just 5 minutes away across the level crossing) always has Little Egret & Avocet, as well as warblers / Stonechat and a selection of common waders.
Have a good visit!

Re: Strumpshaw fen.
An early morning start and two cuckoos.
A male in a tree over the river on the Surlingham side, and a female coming up out of the reeds as I walked back from the tree hide.
There are two Black Swans (Cygnus atratus) out on the far side of the mere.
Anybody else seen them today?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back