• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Makes a Migration Location a Hotspot? Eastern USA (1 Viewer)

carjug

(Stecoah Gap is on NC 143 near Robbinsville, at the base of the Smoky Mountains)

There is a warbler hotspot about fifty miles from my house. It is called Stecoah Gap, and aside from the abundance of grapevines choking the trees, there is nothing special about the place. It is simply a ridge on the north side of a mountain.
Around April 20 it fills up with warblers. B&W, Parulae, Blackburnian, Redstarts, BT Greens, Ovenbirds; the list hit 16 species this year. WHY?

What makes for a spring migration hotspot? Do the birds have a set route, or is there a natural night-time wind tunnel that pulls them into these places? Where are the other hotspots between Florida/Texas and Canada? and how does a person look for undiscovered hotspots?

(Stecoah Gap is on NC 143 near Robbinsville, at the base of the Smoky Mountains)

There is a warbler hotspot about fifty miles from my house. It is called Stecoah Gap, and aside from the abundance of grapevines choking the trees, there is nothing special about the place. It is simply a ridge on the north side of a mountain.
Around April 20 it fills up with warblers. B&W, Parulae, Blackburnian, Redstarts, BT Greens, Ovenbirds; the list hit 16 species this year. WHY?

What makes for a spring migration hotspot? Do the birds have a set route, or is there a natural night-time wind tunnel that pulls them into these places? Where are the other hotspots between Florida/Texas and Canada? and how does a person look for undiscovered hotspots?

I'm not sure about the one you mention, but in general terms, 'hot spots' will be in places where migrating birds can find a relatively shorter or easier route - so, for example, a gap in a range of mountains, or a place where a sea-crossing is shorter.

For this reason, Gibraltar and the Bosphorus are 'hot spots' in Europe. Birds will be 'funneled' into these areas because they provide an easier passage.

We have similar ones here in Huntsville on the north sides of several mountains (Montesano, Green, Keel). All 3 do have the same characteristics: north side heavily wooded ridges. My guess is that they became hot spots because there are still mature trees (not always easy to find).
I guess the best way to find a new one would be to go where no one else goes...:t:

Last edited:
Thanks, I will be looking those up.
North Side of mountains, heavily wooded , mature woods, and I want to add grapevine ridden. This is gonna be fun!

Pileated woodpecker at feeder! Whoo-hoo!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back