• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taken the plunge with a new Starwatcher Evostar- ED 80DSPRO Apo refracter (1 Viewer)

RMWD

After spending hours yesterday reading through all the posts and very helpful replies I decided to order this
SkyWatcher Evostar- ED 80/100/120 DSPRO Apochromatic refracter
The online shop
http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/telescopes/sky-watcher/proseries/edrefractors3.html
manager was very helpful. He told me that although the Celestron ED80 which was discontinued and out of stock, had a low dispersion lens it was not as good an optic as the DSPRO which had the better fluorite "53" optics.
I must admit I could find no mention in any proper spec sheet that the Celestron had fluorite 55 glass. I assume this explains the price difference.
I decided to get a DSLMAX 2" adaptor to connect the camera directly to the telescope. A 2xBarlow lens, 2" diagonal and real 2" eyepiece comes with the package so I could also use it for viewing.
I have a Nikon D90 so high ISO noise free images are possible.

I will order a 1.4X Kenko Teleplus 300 Pro do add to the range and also this can be used with my Sigma 50/500 for nearer birds.

Will I need anytning else? I do have tripod already.

Thanks for help everyone and I will post when I get some pictures.

Cheers Richard

After spending hours yesterday reading through all the posts and very helpful replies I decided to order this
SkyWatcher Evostar- ED 80/100/120 DSPRO Apochromatic refracter
The online shop
http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/telescopes/sky-watcher/proseries/edrefractors3.html
manager was very helpful. He told me that although the Celestron ED80 which was discontinued and out of stock, had a low dispersion lens it was not as good an optic as the DSPRO which had the better fluorite "53" optics.
I must admit I could find no mention in any proper spec sheet that the Celestron had fluorite 55 glass. I assume this explains the price difference.
I decided to get a DSLMAX 2" adaptor to connect the camera directly to the telescope. A 2xBarlow lens, 2" diagonal and real 2" eyepiece comes with the package so I could also use it for viewing.
I have a Nikon D90 so high ISO noise free images are possible.

I will order a 1.4X Kenko Teleplus 300 Pro do add to the range and also this can be used with my Sigma 50/500 for nearer birds.

Will I need anytning else? I do have tripod already.

Thanks for help everyone and I will post when I get some pictures.

Cheers Richard

Welcome to the club of digiscopers :t: The difference to the telescope mentioned by Paul is a diffenrent Crayford focuser. The optical quality should be the same.
You have ordered everything for a good start, so I'm looking forward to seeing your results. You can have a look at some of mine at http://www.flickr.com/photos/klaus_stueckle/

Klaus

Thanks Klaus. I think the Crayford focuser will be be more sensitive but I had hoped the glass would also be be even better than the Celestron 80 ED. Do you think they are the same lenses? If so I ought to consider getting back to to my supplier.

Your pictures are great. Are the wildlife shots all digiscoped. The macro's are stunning.

Richard

Thanks Klaus. I think the Crayford focuser will be be more sensitive but I had hoped the glass would also be be even better than the Celestron 80 ED. Do you think they are the same lenses? If so I ought to consider getting back to to my supplier.

Your pictures are great. Are the wildlife shots all digiscoped. The macro's are stunning.

Richard

I think the more sensitive Crayford focuser is useful in astrophotography, but not that important in wildlife photography. As I don't know exactly the Celestron I can't tell you anything about it. When I ordered my telescope, my supplier told me that the EVOSTAR-80ED1 PRO 3.1 and the one you ordered were of the same optical quality, but only the surface of the telescope and the more sensitive focuser were different.
You can see my equipment here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/klaus_stueckle/3418804614/

Not all my wildlife shots were digiscoped. Usually I added a tag in flickr like "Skywatcher" or "digiscoping" to the digiscoped shots.

Last edited:
congrate richard on the scope.

it's amazing how many people are getting these since i got my own about a year ago .
a very popular lens on the cheap but very sharp.

cheers jason

Richard, you should enjoy several years of photography with the setup you have purchased,,

as for a Crayford focuser, think you will find times when you will wish for a micro focuser,, I know I have plenty of times as even the slightest of touch can make a dramatic adjustment when your trying to get those fine feathers in focus,, using live view at 7 or 10X you can see how only a small adjustment renders OOF quickly,,

enjoy the gear,,

Derry

The Celestron 80ED just gets listed as ED glass so not sure of the exact spec. The old Skywatcher Evostar 80ED is the one I have and the new Black Diamond replaces the gold coloured version that I have. The glass in mine is FPL-53 and these are the same as the Black Diamond as far as I know. You can still find the old gold coloured version but it's getting harder to locate. The link here has the scope on it's own for £243 and is supplied without the diagonal and eyepiece but they can be purchased cheap enough anyway if you wanted them.

The focuser on the gold version is single speed but you can make it dual speed by altering the diameter of one of the wheels. Personally I've always found the single speed fine and never got around to altering it.

Only other thing you will need is a 2" 80mm extension tube to allow the scope to reach focus. To make the set up more versatile get a 25mm and a 50mm. Without the extension tube you wont get enough back travel on the focuser to reach focus. Can't be really exact as the new Skywatcher has a different focuser to mine but all refractors generally need some sort of extension to reach focus.

Paul.

The Celestron 80ED just gets listed as ED glass so not sure of the exact spec. The old Skywatcher Evostar 80ED is the one I have and the new Black Diamond replaces the gold coloured version that I have. The glass in mine is FPL-53 and these are the same as the Black Diamond as far as I know. You can still find the old gold coloured version but it's getting harder to locate. The link here has the scope on it's own for £243 and is supplied without the diagonal and eyepiece but they can be purchased cheap enough anyway if you wanted them.

The focuser on the gold version is single speed but you can make it dual speed by altering the diameter of one of the wheels. Personally I've always found the single speed fine and never got around to altering it.

Only other thing you will need is a 2" 80mm extension tube to allow the scope to reach focus. To make the set up more versatile get a 25mm and a 50mm. Without the extension tube you wont get enough back travel on the focuser to reach focus. Can't be really exact as the new Skywatcher has a different focuser to mine but all refractors generally need some sort of extension to reach focus.

Paul.

Paul thanks for your advice and the link. The scope I have ordered comes with a 2" Barlow, 2" diagonal and 2" eyepiece. At Pulsar they didnt have any of the previous stock and claimed that the Black Diamond had better optics.

The hardest thing to source are extension tubes in the UK.
I ordered a DSRMAX Nikon adapter to 2" tube to avoid using a T2 adapter and mount. This is combined. The problem then is finding extension tubes as this mount has no thread. Have you any ideas? Should I just stick with a Nikon T2 mount and adapter?
I also decided on the 2" ED Barlow instead of the 1.25 "AC710 supremeAPO Barlow triplet again in order to stick with a 2" path from scope to camera.
Have I done the right thing as they are both at same cost. I can alter my order within the next few days.

Richard

Can you post a link to the barlow and camera adapter you purchased? If it's the right ones then you should be able to unscrew the barlow element from the barlow and screw it into the DSLMax adapter and then the body of the barlow becomes the extension tube. The camera adapter should have a fine thread in the front of it for screwing in camera filters etc. If it's the right barlow/camera adapter then you won't need the extra extension tube. I've attached a photo showing how mine goes together.

Paul.

Attachments

• setup1.jpg
    setup1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 443
Can you post a link to the barlow and camera adapter you purchased? If it's the right ones then you should be able to unscrew the barlow element from the barlow and screw it into the DSLMax adapter and then the body of the barlow becomes the extension tube. The camera adapter should have a fine thread in the front of it for screwing in camera filters etc. If it's the right barlow/camera adapter then you won't need the extra extension tube. I've attached a photo showing how mine goes together.

Paul.

Paul, this is the camera adaptor
http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/as...amera-adaptor/AC696-2inch to camera/DSLR.html
and this the Barlow
http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/rigel/eyepieces/2inch/x2edbarlowlens.html
I can't see thread on the adaptor but I wonder if the Barlow lens cluster just pushes into the DSLRMAx.

Thank you for your help. Iwill await your response before going backk to PulsarOptical to check this out.
Thanks
Richard

The camera adapter you linked to says it is threaded to take standard 2" filters so the barlow element will screw into that. The reason you need to do this is because you need to get the barlow element close to the camera to minimize the amount of extension needed to reach focus. Because barlows work different optically when compared to teleconverters they need to be kept close to the camera. It's hard to explain but it will become more apparent once you get it all set up. What you have now will work fine if you set it up the same way as my photo. You could leave the barlow set up as it is but then you would need another 50 or 60mm extension between the barlow and scope which in the end adds up to quite a long and unbalanced system.

The barlow you have ordered is the same as mine. Mine is the GSO version and GSO are Guan Sheng Optical. Other companies sell GSO equipment but it is rebranded with their own name on like the one you linked to.

Paul.

Last edited:
Paul,
I'm really pleased that the Barlow is the same as yours because it was what you were able to do with that lens and scope that led me into "astrobirding". Missed the filter thread in my haste.
We have a local nature reserve (Brandon Marsh) and I was really quite depressed at how small birds look with my D90 and Sigma 50/500 when photographed from the hides. I was only able to get reasonable photos withn 30 metres. I only saw good photos with people using 500-600mm primes and doubled teleconvertors. I couldn't even lift a Nikon 600mm VR with Twin TC's camera and sturdy tripod. Anyway this has given me hope that with patience and practice I can get some pictures that I am happy with. When I do I'll be sure to post.
Thanks again,
Richard

Got my Skywatcher ED8o Pro today but....

it arrived without the Barlow lens/adaptor so I couldn't use it. Was able tio to try the scope with an eyepiece and star diagonal. The Nikon adaptor fitted the camera and when attached to the scope needed another inch extension and when attached to the diagonal was too short on focussing the other way. Tried to hand hold the Nikon at the correct focal point and in manual was able to take a picture and see the image in the viewfinder bright and clear. So I know it will work. The D90's viewfinder is brilliant.
Pulsar Optical will send the Barlow as soon as in stock.

Question to anyone
is the inside thread in a 2" eyepiece tube a 2" T2 thread. If so could get a connecting ring to attach this tube to my Nikon mount?

Otherwise the telescope looks a quality instrument.

Richard

Pulsar Optical can be a bit slow on stuff that's out of stock. Earlier in the year I waited 2 months for a 3X barlow and in the end I gave up and told them to cancel the order. If you can find the same barlow anywhere else which shouldn't be a problem then maybe think about getting it from a different source.

The thread inside the chrome barrel on 2" eyepieces is the same thread as in the front of the 2" T2 scope adapter if that's the part you are thinking of.

Paul.

hope things are going well with the scope richard.

with my set up which is ready as i type and pritty much like a conventional lens.

eos m42 adapter, t-mount, camera adapter (which is just a tube with m42 threads)
this tube screws straight onto the scopes eye peice holder.

the resin i use the tube as we all now get the CFD as low as possible and with this et up 15ft to 300ft i dont need to go infinite. if i need to go closer a 10mm or bigger extention tube.

i will post all this tomorrow with pic.

cheers j

hope things are going well with the scope richard.

with my set up which is ready as i type and pritty much like a conventional lens.

eos m42 adapter, t-mount, camera adapter (which is just a tube with m42 threads)
this tube screws straight onto the scopes eye peice holder.

the resin i use the tube as we all now get the CFD as low as possible and with this et up 15ft to 300ft i dont need to go infinite. if i need to go closer a 10mm or bigger extention tube.

i will post all this tomorrow with pic.

cheers j
Thanks J, My set up will be Nikon D90->DSRMAX camera adaptor to bayonet with T2 thread combined,-> (extension tubes)-> scope. When the Barlow arrives it may replace some of the extension tubes.
Are M42 threads the correct name for 2" T2 threads or are they different?
Richard

wot sort of distance from camera to scope will you have .

im asking as ive also got the 50-500mm and to get a good frame filling shot the focus distance from the scope requires about 4" from camera to scope .

this might help with the m42 .

The M42 lens mount is a screw thread mounting standard for attaching lenses to 35 mm cameras, primarily single-lens reflex models. It is more accurately known as the M42 × 1 mm standard, which means that it is a metric screw thread of 42 mm diameter and 1 mm thread pitch. It was first used in Zeiss' Contax S of 1949; this East German branch of Zeiss also sold cameras under the Pentacon name; after merger with other East German photographic manufacturers, the name Praktica was used. M42 thread mount cameras first became well-known in Japan under the Praktica brand, and thus the M42 mount is known as the Praktica thread mount there. Since there were no proprietary elements to the M42 mount, many other manufacturers used it; this has led to it being called the Universal thread mount or Universal screw mount by many. The M42 mount was popularized in the United States by Pentax; thus, it is also known as the Pentax thread mount, despite the fact that Pentax did not originate it.

ill post my set up later with a marsh harrier shot.

many thanks j

Thanks J, My set up will be Nikon D90->DSRMAX camera adaptor to bayonet with T2 thread combined,-> (extension tubes)-> scope. When the Barlow arrives it may replace some of the extension tubes.
Are M42 threads the correct name for 2" T2 threads or are they different?
Richard

T2 thread is a different pitch to M42.

The extension tubes you linked to from pulsar optical look a bit shiny internally and things that screw together take longer to change if you want to alter the distance quickly between camera and scope. It costs more but a good set of bayonet fit macro tubes is better as they are quick to change and internally they are nicely blackened/baffled.

Paul.

T2 thread is a different pitch to M42.

The extension tubes you linked to from pulsar optical look a bit shiny internally and things that screw together take longer to change if you want to alter the distance quickly between camera and scope. It costs more but a good set of bayonet fit macro tubes is better as they are quick to change and internally they are nicely blackened/baffled.

Paul.

Paul, thanks, but can you post a current link to such a set. When I tried to google "bayonet fit macro tubes" I seem to get tubes that connect to my cameras nikon fitment. What I want are exrension tubes that firstly screw onto my 2" DSLR adaptor then have telescope bayonet fittings with each other and then into the scope.

I must admit that finding a scope was easier than finding extension tubes !

Cheers Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back